Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am patiently waiting for my hybrid Premium SE in Iron Grey. Ordered at the beginning of Feb with 15" wheels (as the 17s were another 6 weeks apparently!). Was hoping for delivery before April and had given permission for the car to be registered as soon as it was on British soil but looks like it is only due to make land around the 5th of April with a dealer delivery mid month. As i'm away then will probably be beginning of May before I get my hands on the wheel. I currently have a Mercedes C Class but wanted something more economical and not diesel as it's primary purpose will be just for commuting to the offices for work. I'm not bothered by the badge and on a test drive was impressed. Never got to test motorway performance so that's the main concern with road noise and general engine power but I guess I should not expect 3l engine performance if going for economy (Tesla excluded). Would be interested in the full electric version if the Ioniq turns out to be a good car and they bring out a 200+ mile version. Keeping fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'm actually disappointed with this post.. I thought you'd actually managed to customise your Ioniq so it could drive in water.. very misleading post title..

Lol

But seriously... you have nothing to fear. And good on you for ditching diesel! I drive this car only on motorways and a roads and never doing less than.... the speed limit of course ;) and its economical and comfortable.

I went from a 2l turbo diesel thinking it was the most economical engine type for my driving.. and everyone told me it was and that I was pretty much a fool to go for a hybrid but, I proved them all wrong. I went from £250-300 per month diesel bill to £160 / month. I'd call that a pretty good savings. But my other worry was that I would have to learn how to drive like an OAP (no offence to the OAPs on the forum :p), to get the good mpg.. also wrong. I have barely changed the way I drived my diesel, if anything it's made me a better driver.

Anyway hope it comes soon! Enjoy him :>

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Road noise on the motorway is OK . No worse than any other car I've driven and better that most of them . Power is good too and you can always drop into sport if you want more

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I forgot to mention that, thank you Chunga ;)
Yes road noise.. I always forget about it.. because I never hear it! Haha :D

The Stereo system for me is good enough to drown out the world and I have it on 24/7 >.<

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
" The Stereo system for me is good enough to drown out the world and I have it on 24/7 >.< "
It seems we have something in common ;)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
And you live in Wales.. where I want to be.. because I love Wales. Wanna switch places? Is your Ioniq white? Lol!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think we should maybe suggest a 4th Ioniq variant - the amphibious! ;)

Thank you for the re-assuring words TKGDee. I'm sure it will turn out to be a great car. The modifying of driving style was another concern so it's good to know you can still get good economy by driving "normally". I'm sure a few tweaks in driving will improve it further, every car is different anyway. I had a VW CC previously and the DSG gearbox was not the smoothest at slow speeds so you just learnt how to drive it to best take this into account. That was another thought about the Ioniq but I believe 1st gear is pretty much full electric most of the time so that may smooth out some of the DSG behaviors. With the CC I somehow managed to stall it on three separate occasion at a roundabout junction on a steep hill. Considering I was doing that trip most days it was not a common occurrence but still odd that an auto gearbox will stall. I presume it's not possible to stall a duel clutch hybrid as it will just go to 100% electric then restart the engine in a similar situation?

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
And you live in Wales.. where I want to be.. because I love Wales. Wanna switch places? Is your Ioniq white? Lol!
From Pays De Galles to Angleterre ??? Lucky I'm not easily offended ;)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Edit : just re-read your post, I personally didn't tknow an automatic could stall at all and I have never felt that the Ioniq was going to do that at any point!

You will feel the car change gears and sometimes it can hold them a lot longer than you would personally but not often, and you do see and feel the car change from EV to ICE but not so much so that it's offputting. If you drive it right, you should be able to do all in city driving in EV, it gets a good charge while on the motorway.

There is however a wrong way of driving these cars and getting used to it will take time, especially if you've always driven a manual. Pulse and go techniques for in city driving, how to use the cars momentum for down hill driving etc. There's a lot of vids online if you want to have a look.

For me the adaptive cruise control is what really helped me, i used to drive far too close to people and have to use my brakes a lot more. The Ioniq keeps distance for me and speeds up / slows down evenly and appropriately, (most times!) I barely touch the pedals when I'm driving - unless in city, the car does it all for me. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't know you could stall an auto either. I guess it only applies to a DSG type gearbox, but it is a pain as takes a while to restart as you have to get it into park and had to eject and re-insert the key to get it to fire again, then back into drive. It's that go, not go, go type maneuver on a steep hill that appears to have induced it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts