Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned some weeks ago that it appeared that the Canada price was likely going to be similar to the US price, thus getting a significant exchange rate discount for Americans buying the Ioniq/Niro in Canada. Now that MRSP is available on the Niro in both countries, this can be explored.
Kia Build & Price | Kia Canada
2017 Kia Niro | Compare Vehicle Trims | Kia

Canada base L model $25,129 Canadian. Current exchange rate and adding import duty comes to $19,267 American.
US base FE model $23,785. That is a very healthy $4,518 discount before any incentives or negotiation.

In addition, the Canadian base model comes stock with a few items not included in the US model:
Heated front seats and steering wheel
Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
Fog lights
Luggage net
LED positioning lights (not sure what these are - anyone know?)

On the downside, Niro L comes only with one non-premium paint, black. Snow White Pearl and Graphite are an additional $200 Canadian or about $150 US. The US Niro FE no extra cost paint includes Silky Silver and the probably popular Crimson Red. Snow White Pearl and Aurora Black Pearl are an additional $395 US. Another price win for Canada if you like the color (colour) options.

I haven't done the math yet, but I'm going to guess the premium trims will make it even more enticing to visit Canada. The Ioniq will have the have the same pricing advantage. I'm going to wait until both the Niro and Ioniq are available to test drive locally, but then I will call a Canadian dealer and find out what the gotchas might be. I know there will be paperwork hassle to cross the border (unless the dealer can prepare all documents) and possible warranty issues.

Otherwise, looks like a big win. Either Hyundai/Kia are losing money in Canada, or they are making huge bucks in the US. Anyone have any thoughts on the price disparity?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kia Canada and US warranties are virtually identical with coverage (including roadside) throughout North America. However, there could still be a policy to not cover Canadian purchased cars registered in the US to discourage US buyers from purchasing in Canada.

The sweet spot for me to consider shopping in Canada is the Canadian base L model, or the EX model. You have to go all the way up to the SX Touring model to get all available safety features, and you have to take the sun roof and 18" wheels, both deal breakers for me. I'm considering ditching the safety features anyway. But for those interested, the top trim US fully optioned is $32,445 US, and the similar Canadian top trim is $33,329 Canadian or $25,552 US (including duty). The more you buy, the more you save! Crazy difference of $7,107!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No lane keep assist in either country. The federal EV credit is to encourage purchasing of specific vehicles for environmental reasons. Either way, they are of Korean origin. As soon as either the EV or the PHEV are available in the US, they will appear on this site:
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

Guess what?! The Ioniq EV is now listed. Wasn't a couple weeks ago. Guess that means it will beat the Niro EV to our shores. Tax credit for the EV is $7,500, same as the longer range Bolt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts