Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those owners who have transported families or heavy items consistently, what kind of mileage are you getting with it weighted down? Big difference or small? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
It will make very little difference on flat roadways if you accelerate gently. If your route includes hills, you will see a significant drop.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I've found very little difference and I live in a hilly area

·
Registered
359 Posts
From experience part of the overall "load' weight can put on a vehicle comes down to how you drive with that weight. The main thing being moving gradually from a stand still and not in jerky movements. Most people know this and operate in that ideal manner but its just about the only way you can go wrong, and at the same time it plays right into habits, habits are what influence MPGs.... much to the extent of habits that impact your monthly hydro bill ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Conducted a fairly unscientific experiment today . I set out on a 36 mile trip , about 28 of which was motorway . The journey out was with one passenger and the return was with the same passenger and 10 boxes each weighing 20 Kg , about 450 pounds . I zeroed the trip meter and set out the results are below
The outward journey gave me a return of 81 mpg , the overall journey gave me an overall return of 75.3 mpg which I'm more than pleased with . The return journey always returns a lower figure in any case , much the same as my commute is more efficient on the outward journey . So I don't think there's a monumental difference between driving fully laden or solo

Attachments

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
To average 75 mpg after the first half of trip at 81, your return leg was around 69 mpg. That is a 17% dip between trip legs. How much do you consider monumental? This is without correcting for wind, temperature, or elevation changes of course which could change your results, but I'd consider a 17% difference significant. That is more than the difference between summer and winter driving.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
To average 75 mpg after the first half of trip at 81, your return leg was around 69 mpg. That is a 17% dip between trip legs. How much do you consider monumental? This is without correcting for wind, temperature, or elevation changes of course which could change your results, but I'd consider a 17% difference significant. That is more than the difference between summer and winter driving.
Thanks for working that out for me ;) .Living in Wales there are plenty of elevation changes , more so on the trip back so that accounts for part of the difference . Traffic was also much heavier . When I picked up my Ioniq I travelled along the same route and achieved 64.5 with only myself in the car so there is an improvement . Maybe the engine bedding in or maybe I'm just driving better . In any case ,I can live with 69 mpg fully laden and the unladen trip shows you can get near the 83.1 mpg claimed . In fact the first 7 miles the gauge was showing 99.9 mpg . I thought it was broken until I got up to motorway speeds :D

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I've bicycled in Wales and experienced those elevation changes very personally!

Hybrids and electrics do relatively better in hilly terrain than regular cars but still suffer a drop in mpg. What I was talking about with elevation change is the overall for the trip. Start elevation and end elevation one way. Any difference and you can then calculate the energy cost of that change each way. One leg will increase and one leg will drop in mpg.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I'm not calculating the elevation change on both trips because it's too complicated or maybe I'm too lazy ;) . The roads are not steady climbs mostly just undulating , making it more difficult to run in EV for long periods . So it was probably the road undulates uphill more often on the return journey . This is also the case on my commute every day , fuel economy is always better out than on the return journey . There traffic is also a lot lighter on the outward journey .
I never expected that the Ioniq would get close to the claimed efficiency figures in my case , but I was pleasantly surprised how good they are . My last car ( Renault Kadjar 1.5Dci ) would have returned about 58 mpg on that trip unladen ( I have measured it ) . So if , as your calculations go , I have returned 69 mpg fully laden on the same journey I am as happy as the proverbial pig . Not to mention cleaner and marginally better off financially .:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts