Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the MPG for a limited will be lower due to the bigger tires, etc. I would like to know what MPG others are getting that have this same trim level. I am only on my second tank of gas. For my first tank my MPG was 46 and my driving was rated at 53% economical, 44 % normal and 3% aggressive. I have a 30 - 40 minute drive to work with about 15-20 minutes being interstate. The rest of my driving is around town within 5 miles of my house. Thanks for any input and suggestions!

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,136 Posts
I average in the 50s with mine in the summer. If I am careful, I can get 55. I usually average around 53 but I've been as high as 59 on a tank.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Generally I don't hit the EPA numbers until I am at about 80 - 20 - 0 for the score (eco, normal, aggressive).

Drive at 3 green bars or under and brake at 3 blue bars or under and you should almost guarantee EPA numbers if the temperatures are 'comfortable'.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I average in the 50s with mine in the summer. If I am careful, I can get 55. I usually average around 53 but I've been as high as 59 on a tank.
Would you mind sharing what your numbers are for Economical/Normal/Aggressive?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I know when I was getting my best numbers, I was 85-15 economical/normal with negligible aggressive. My usual is somewhere around 70-30 between myself and my fiance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My wife gets about 46 in the winter and 55 in the summer (US gallons) in our 2018 limited.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the SEL trim and got 63+ mpg constantly with several "sport" mode here and there. My goal is just 600+ miles per tank and I am happy. Tomorrow 8/4 mark 2 weeks I last time filled up my tank and it still 1 bar over 1/2 tank.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a SEL. My MPG is always above 60 in the Spring/Summer/Fall and get down to low 50's in winter. All time average is right on the EPA rating at 55. My driving score is consistently 85/15/0

Attachments

Reactions: Ioniquest

·
Registered
13 Posts
Right now, I've had the Ioniq Limited w/Ultimate package car about 2 weeks and Im only averaging about 45MPG...should i be concerned? Thinking it may be my driving habits, so I will try your suggestions of staying between 2-3 green bars and see if it improves.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I run up and down hills, lots of urban and return a minimum of 57 - 59

On a recent 250 mile run I had a reurn of 80.1

What exactly is your driving style ?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I run up and down hills, lots of urban and return a minimum of 57 - 59

On a recent 250 mile run I had a reurn of 80.1

What exactly is your driving style ?
You're in the UK so have a larger gallon than we do. Your 80.1 is our 66.7. That's still really good though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drive about 20 miles each way to and from work (40 miles per day) half highway, half local streets. I usually don't go over 65 MPH on the highway, but with traffic, and lot of braking....... I might drive around a little bit locally on the weekends.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I drive about 20 miles each way to and from work (40 miles per day) half highway, half local streets. I usually don't go over 65 MPH on the highway, but with traffic, and lot of braking....... I might drive around a little bit locally on the weekends.
The trick for you to raise your mileage is probably in your braking. If you can brake over a longer period of time and allow the electric motor to recover some energy, you can probably see a few MPG gain with that alone.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Right now, I've had the Ioniq Limited w/Ultimate package car about 2 weeks and Im only averaging about 45MPG...should i be concerned? Thinking it may be my driving habits, so I will try your suggestions of staying between 2-3 green bars and see if it improves.
45 is certainly a bit low. The Limited with 17 inch wheels is reputedly not quite as fuel efficient as the Blue and SEL with 15 inch, but it shouldn't be too hard to get results above 50, and even up to 55MPG with a little practice.

Your daily commute is certainly long enough to be able to reap best possible economy - mine is half that distance, and I get an average of 61MPG, though that is from an SEL model with 15 inch wheels.

What seems likely is that you simply need a little practice at driving for economy. The one thing the Ioniq lacks in comparison to a Prius, is a simple display that can help 'train' a new driver to look for economical driving practices, but the car itself is easy to drive for good fuel efficiency with a few small modifications to driving habits.

As already said, a key is in anticipating road conditions ahead and lifting off the accelerator and coasting towards a stop, braking gently as you approach. This helps regenerate energy for battery storage. That energy you can then use by relatively gentle acceleration, and when reaching the desired speed, lifting off the accelerator briefly to allow the car to drop into EV mode if it can.

Watch for the little green 'EV' light on the lower-right of the dashboard. This tells you when you are running on battery power. If you're traveling at 30MPH (for example) on a flat road, you should be able to get into and remain in EV mode for some distance, as long as the battery meter on the right is showing you above the one-third marker.

Learning to lift off the accelerator and simply maintain speed by feathering it results in a less hurried drive, but usually a more fuel efficient one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the Limited, my daily commute is about 23 miles one way and I am getting low to mid 50's.

Are you by chance doing a lot of short trips around town? I think this could negatively impact your MPG?

·
Registered
218 Posts
There are also a few other factors that might make a hit on fuel economy - running the AC at the lowest end of the temperature range and the fan blowing at a high setting seems to stop mine from staying in EV mode, even dropping into EV mode in the first place. Driving in Sport mode has a similar effect, though it is rather nice to see the tachometer drop to zero while rolling along at 60mph, even if briefly!

Slightly under-inflated tyres, or even just one of them, can reduce MPG by a surprising amount, though that can be checked in the TPS screen while moving. Likewise, over-inflating by a few psi can improve fuel efficiency, though at the cost of a slightly harsher ride.

Carrying extra weight, keeping windows open at speed... it can all play a part.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Slightly under-inflated tyres, or even just one of them, can reduce MPG by a surprising amount, though that can be checked in the TPS screen while moving. Likewise, over-inflating by a few psi can improve fuel efficiency, though at the cost of a slightly harsher ride.
Mine are at 38 rear and 39 front. Does that sound ok ?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Heck, if 39 psi is good, 41 psi must be better, right? And so on. Or you can stick to the manufacturer's recommended sweet spot of 36 psi.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts