Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I didn't think the Hyundai Ioniq was going to be the vehicle that would receive the 250 mile range actually. I thought they were going to create a different vehicle altogether to debut that extended range. The article also mentions that the hybrid will have a range of 700km (435 miles) which is pretty mind blowing. That would last me personally a good 2 and a half weeks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe the Hyundai Ioniq will get a bit of an exterior update for the long range models as a way to set them apart from the original three models.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would hope so. But so many variations of the same vehicle. This is getting crazy !

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
interesting, so the electric version to get the improved range from day 1, is that a reaction to the new prius, chevy bolt and tesla?

would be nice to see bigger batteries on the the hybrid and plugin version as well so long as they keep the price sensible

I wonder if this is part of the delay, having to swap battery and possibly tweak software to take new battery capacity into account

·
Registered
344 Posts
I wouldn't doubt it being a reaction to Prius specifically as it seems they are the main target. Of course the competition is also a concern (Bolt, Tesla) but I think their more fixated on that darn Prius

·
Registered
323 Posts
Can't blame them, sometimes the best thing is to steal and not reinvent the wheel. Steal and maybe improve on it in some areas, then sell it.

Toyota already did all the homework for them which makes it much easier. At least in the end it might mean a better product for us and maybe not something as high in price as the Prius.

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's definitely generally the goal. They need to develop a better product for us that's more attainable in order to steal the consumers right ? But you're right, sometimes the best thing to do is to innovate something that is known to work very well already. Make it that much better and you have a hit.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Exactly, sometimes a brand just taking an idea and making it their own is all that's needed and it's smart. Takes a lot of capital and risk to do something completely from 'scratch' unless all the right market research is done and some brands have suffered from products that just flopped from day one.

Fortunately the hybrid segment has a wide and growing threshold for what will fly.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wouldn't it have been better for Hyundai to just hold off on the EV release and later come out with the 400km range one? The current Ioniq EV will lose to the Bolt and Tesla Model 3. Would have more of a wow factor if they just came with the 400km range version.

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
there are rumours of a delay in the press (Hyundai UK deny a delay), and Hyundai seem to be slow getting demos and launch vehicles out, they seem to be still trotting the original demo vehicle round the trade, no hard specs other than the engine and infotainment

I have been wondering if the lack of hard facts is that they are trying to up the battery specs to increase the range from day 1? or is there an issue with supply of parts or something that needs engineering time? or making changes to the Ioniq spec as the new prius has been launched

·
Registered
323 Posts
You might have some luck spotting these going from dealer to dealer from HQ since they tend to give dealers a first look. If you have a good relationship with a local dealer then you might have some luck spotting it just in time before it leaves for the next one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts