Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even with fatter tires the Ioniq was no match with the Prius. We don't have moose or elk in my area but we do have mattresses falling off the bed of pickup trucks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Up where I am, we have a lot of deer. Equally as darn dangerous and scary as heck to see em' just pop out. This is something crucial to me because opposed to deer, we have dumb dumb drivers that we gotta use maneuvers like this to avoid em'.

What can we do to remedy this or make it a bit better ?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
to me they were both ok at 76kph, and both hit cones at 78kph

but the Ioniq did run wider on the 2nd turn at 78kph, but neither lost control, it was just more understeer on the Ioniq on the 2nd turn

at the end of the day yes the prius was better but neither performed bad, not like the merc A class a few years ago the rolled and put some journalists in hospital

the moose test is now part of the euroncap tests

·
Registered
103 Posts
The people of km77 sum the results up as:
https://translate.google.com/translate?ie=UTF-8&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.km77.com%2F01%2Fhyundai%2Fioniq%2F2016%2Fhibrido-328267-p.html

> [translated from Spanish via Google Translate]
> The maneuvers dodge and slalom appearing in the video is in this same text we did in the same
> conditions as with the Prius (video dodges the Toyota Prius will be available in a few days) and
> Niro ( video dodges the Kia Niro ), with slightly moist soil but without the wheels arrived to lift
> water spray (not were ready for more opportunities to record during the week of testing, where
> it rained frequently). Thus, the maximum speed we reached without knocking down cones was
> 74 km / h, close to the Toyota (76 km / h) and higher than the KIA (69 km / h), which seemed
> unable to perform with the same Agility the test despite wearing tires that gave more grip. Here
> we find that the body of the IONIQ is the one that least inclines and that the feeling of security
> that it conveys agrees with the reactions that gives.

Thus they rate the difference between Ioniq and Prius as rather narrow.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Up where I am, we have a lot of deer. Equally as darn dangerous and scary as heck to see em' just pop out. This is something crucial to me because opposed to deer, we have dumb dumb drivers that we gotta use maneuvers like this to avoid em'.

What can we do to remedy this or make it a bit better ?
There's no point depending on Hyundai to do anything better, typically motivations tied to sales are acted upon swiftly but everything else isn't prioritized nearly as much.

You just have to have better habits as a driver, be mindful of whats around you, be mindful of how you are driving, where you are driving, etc. Typically that gives you a big advantage. Most people only focus on whats 30 feet in front of them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The first test looks fake for the Ioniq. Why do we see the brake lights keep coming on with the Ioniq and not the Prius? Is the driver trying to throw the Ioniq out of control? In the 2nd test we see no loss of control and no brake lights on both cars.

Both cars weigh about the same. The Ioniq has a more sophisticated rear suspension than the Prius (multi-link vs wishbone). The Ioniq and Prius are both wearing low-profile tires and 17s with the Ioniq at 225 vs 215 for the Prius. It's possible that the Prius rubber is much grippier than the Ioniq but that's a choice a driver can easily change. We don't know what rubber the Ioniq will wear in the US. I would expect both cars to perform about the same with exactly the same rubber.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The first test looks fake for the Ioniq. Why do we see the brake lights keep coming on with the Ioniq and not the Prius? Is the driver trying to throw the Ioniq out of control? In the 2nd test we see no loss of control and no brake lights on both cars.

Both cars weigh about the same. The Ioniq has a more sophisticated rear suspension than the Prius (multi-link vs wishbone). The Ioniq and Prius are both wearing low-profile tires and 17s with the Ioniq at 225 vs 215 for the Prius. It's possible that the Prius rubber is much grippier than the Ioniq but that's a choice a driver can easily change. We don't know what rubber the Ioniq will wear in the US. I would expect both cars to perform about the same with exactly the same rubber.
I noticed the brake lights as well. But I wouldn't go that far that as to suspect any fraud. If they'd want to skew the results they simply could have indicated arbitrary numbers for the speed. So - I know it's out of fashion nowadays - we should first try to explain things without expecting a conspiracy just around the corner.

My guess would be that the Ioniq is programmed that way that the brake lights correlate to an ESP intervention. I furthermore guess that such an indication is reasonable but not mandatory. So maybe the Prius is programmed differently and the braking lights just don't light up if the ESP intervenes. If this of interest to you, you might want to check all their other elk test videos and make an overview how each model behaves.

But to put a different spin on this, looking at the videos I got the impression that the Prius is actually slowed down much more aggressive which makes the second lane shift obviously more easily. The ESP of the Ioniq, however, only seems to slow down the vehicle more reluctantly.

And regarding your final point with the rubber quality, you might have a point here. I am lacking the expertise but I wouldn't be surprised if this can account for 2km/h or more. But we should not forget that the whole test has various non-exact inputs. And we should also acknowledge that the people from km77 don't make a lot of fuss about that difference. Probably we shouldn't think too hard about this either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On that video they also say that the Prius stability control acts too much, even the slalom test was made too slow trying not to activate it. The result is the Prius beats the Ioniq, but they speak well about the Ioniq stability.

On the other side, on that Italian review they're not too happy with Ioniq stability:

·
Registered
260 Posts
The brake light switch is activated by the brake pedal. I stand by my statement. In the first test, it's obvious the two cars are being driven completely differently so all bets are off. It looks to me like the driver of the Ioniq in the first test is jumping from throttle to brake to throttle to brake and loses control. In the 2nd test, both cars are driven more similarly and the results are similar.

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
The brake lights also come up by regen, but only when regen is set on the strongest level. Somebody has reported that. So assuming that the driver was not nervously switching between throttle and braking all the time, I think it was the regen and it was set at the strongest level. This is almost the same as automatic braking when the throttle is released. I can imagine that such a setting does not make the driving easy for such a bending road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts