Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you set the Lane Keeping Assistance System (LKAS) in an active mode, and there are visible lines then the car can do the steering between the lines itself, also when the road is bending. It can also be combined with the Adaptive Cruise Control. At first sight this may seem a bit similar to Tesla's Autopilot. But in this case the aim clearly is not that the car drives autonomously, but together with you, in a kind of mixed initiative interaction. The car is doing the steering, but it should feel you from time to time, in the sense that the car notices that you also contribute some movement. Otherwise it will beep after a while and refuse further cooperation.

It is a very special and in some sense even a bit intimate experience if you feel this type of cooperation between you and the car. It is as if you do the steering together with another person. You can imagine how that would feel. For example, when the road is bending, sometimes the car is reacting first, sometimes you are earlier. It will always give more resistance when you want to steer in a direction that the car does not want, so it is easy to feel where the car wants to go, and to follow that. When you do a test drive don't forget to try it (but you need a bit of time to get accustomed to it).

For me personally, I like this, and I consider this mixed initiative type of driving philosophy a more realistic philosophy than the often idealized autonomous driving philosophy, for example, also suggested by the name Autopilot. But I can also imagine that there are others that are easily disturbed by the car interfering in their steering. Such things can be strongly personality dependent. They will not set the LKAS in the active mode. I was wondering in how far others appreciate this mixed initiative way of driving.

·
Registered
28 Posts
First time when the car steering itself, I had a Strange feeling, mainly because the dealer didn't told me Nothing about it. I frequently drive in highway and now I'm looking for this assistance. It is just Matter of being use to it ,in my opinion.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It is a very special and in some sense even a bit intimate experience if you feel this type of cooperation between you and the car. It is as if you do the steering together with another person. You can imagine how that would feel.
Interesting, your rather philosophic approach :). I never looked at it that way. The first time I was confronted with LKAS I didn't know it existed, so it scared me a bit. First it annoyed me (who is the boss?). Now I use it often, but only in the moderate correcting way.

However, I don't want to use it too often, also the smart cruise control, since I am a bit afraid I might get used to it and then some moment will come when I forget to brake or correct because I think the car will do it for me (and then it doesn't).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I leave mine in full active mode all the time, you feel it twitch the wheel now and again but yes you are in control as you have to make a steering input at least every 30 seconds or it nags at you
Thats exactly the Point: you have to be "active" on the steering. But sure the first time scare you a bit ( or a lot)

·
Registered
36 Posts
MPG freak here again - how big effect do you think that the use of the all available systems on the car has on the consumption?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've tried LKAS a few times, but I can't get used to it. With LKAS in it's most active setting, I cannot 'feel' the road, and in this season I like to feel if the road is slippery or not. Maybe it's a matter of trust and I will try it again in summertime.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I feel very much same like @Jan Treur - more like intimate co-operation than just only giving steering input that i am alive time to time.

I put my thumb tip on the steering wheel spoke corner and push the elbow into the corner of the arm rest and door wall so that there is small leverage force against the steering wheel. This way i make constant tension to both wheel rotation directions and thumb is sensing every little movement and forces that the car is making on the steering wheel.

Sometimes the car is pushing too close to the left side road markings in the lefthand curve and i am resisting it through whole curve. Sometimes i do not pay attention or there is strict curve ahead so car see exceptional road angle and that is causing more steering force from the car side than from me so i immediately feel car's stronger opinion to steer more as force difference on my thumb. This is very sensitive way to us(me and my car) to interact to each others. Amazing feeling.

I am also pretty sure that there is some artificial intelligence logic learning from me because of our steering dance together is going better each day. Also in the beginning the green steering wheel sign went white immediately when the road markings was invisible under the snow but now when we have had 2000 km training session with the car the sign is green much longer even if the road markings are hiding under the snow.

I have driven same amount also other car that has steering assistant, but Ioniq has much more accuracy on its rotary position sensor.

Yes you have to trust and give some time to car to adopt - i say so because i really believe there is AI involved.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I want to be able to fish a bag of cheetos out of the grocery bag next to me and open the bag and enjoy the fresh, lovely cheetos without steering with my knees. Alas, no LKAS for Americans. I wonder why?

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Too many lawyers in the US that have to maintain their living. That scares off those who introduce new developments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts