Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the US we are supposedly only a few weeks away from the Ioniq HEV and BEV release yet I am still unable to find a few key specs that I'd like to compare to the Niro since I'm undecided between the two. Maybe you've come across these figures in the EU:

1. Ground Clearance. It's 6.3" for the Niro. Ioniq?

2. Cargo Volume Seat Down. 54.5 cu. ft. for the Niro. Ioniq?

3. Turning Circle. 34.8 ft for the Niro. Ioniq?

Metric is OK if you have it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
According to this comparison the Ioniq is longer and wider, the Niro higher of course. What surprises me is the cargo space of the Niro being smaller than the Ioniq.
Ground Clearance and turning circle not specified.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I think I came across mxhan's video once before but the numbers weren't adding up. For example, the video says seats down capacity for the niro is 50.3 cu ft. vs 54.5 cu ft from Kia's US website. I realize there are different standards and methodologies for measuring cargo capacity so is the Ioniq's capacity really 5.6% bigger by the same methodology? Not having seen both, I don't know but I doubt it.

Bluecar's capacity figures for the Ioniq match closely with the figures I have for the Niro. Seat up, both are about 19.4 cu ft. Seat down, Bluecar has 53.1 cu ft for the Ioniq vs Kia's 54.5 cu ft which would make the Niro's seat down capacity slightly bigger which I think is right.

Bluecar's turning circle spec sounds right. I read in an article that the Niro and Ioniq have the same ground clearance which I don't think is right. The pictures seem to show that the Niro has more. Sigh. I guess I'll have to wait for Hyundaiusa to fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My European specs show:

Ground clearance 140mm for both Hybrid and Electric. ie 5.51 inches
Boot space 443 and 350 litres H/E or 15.5 and 12.3 cubic feet
Seats Down 1505 and 1410 litres H/E or 53.1 and 49.8

Turning circle 10.6 m for both - 34.7 feet. Actually it is shown as 'rayon de braquage 5.3' i.e. turning radius. But still not a good enough reason for Brexit!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks BrianH. Now see, the US spec for seat-up cargo capacity for the Niro is 19.4 cu ft. For the Ioniq, that spec is supplied by Hyundaiusa as 26.5 cu. ft. (!) (Could they be counting the spare wheel space?) So many suspect specs out there it's hard to sort out. I think your cargo capacity specs are right.

That ground clearance spec is the first time I have seen it anywhere. I'm going with it!

The turning radius will vary by wheel width and size, I think. Your figure sounds reasonable for the smaller, narrower wheel.

Thanks again. The Hyundai and Kia dealers nearest me are right next door, so I should be able to walk back and forth and decide which is bigger once the Ioniqs are in.

Oh, and yes it is good enough reason for Brexit. :)

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
As it happens, the turning circle is identical for all Niro/Ioniq models. For some cars, turning circle does vary with wheel size, but that has to be baked into the car at the factory, a later wheel size change will not alter the turning circle (absent the wheel hitting the fender).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts