Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what mileage would forum members consider sufficient before full throttle and maximum revs can be explored? I don't use anything more than about 1/3 throttle until 1000 miles has passed and then gradually use more throttle and revs up until around 3000 miles before I consider the engine sensibly run-in. Would other members consider this unnecessary? I would also consider an oil change at 3000 miles to be prudent too.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
At what mileage would forum members consider sufficient before full throttle and maximum revs can be explored? I don't use anything more than about 1/3 throttle until 1000 miles has passed and then gradually use more throttle and revs up until around 3000 miles before I consider the engine sensibly run-in. Would other members consider this unnecessary? I would also consider an oil change at 3000 miles to be prudent too.
The handbook recommends that you give it a bit of throttle now and then , I certainly did though not as much as Tess , I suspect . Just don't do what my neighbour used to do every morning i.e. start car , full throttle for about a minute ....not good for any car ....besides waking up a very angry chunga ;)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
As others have said, running-in technique today is very different from days of yore. Effectively the car is controlling the balance of ICE and Battery, and you won't get full revs from it anyway, unless you're in Sport mode and foot flat on floor, so just run the first thousand miles without excessive use of the kickdown in either Eco or Sport mode and you're fine. If you need to run the car like that you probably bought the wrong vehicle!

I also don't recommend oil and filter change before the first service at 10,000 miles - the service itself is supposed to measure swarf in the oil as part of the oil/filter change and you may skew the results by popping an extra change in, mid-interval.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts