Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

Why did you buy your Ioniq ( tick all that apply )

• How it looks / styling

Votes: 313 63.7%
  • Cost / much cheapness

Votes: 263 53.6%
  • Fuel Economy / cheap to run

Votes: 433 88.2%
  • Low emmission / care about environment

Votes: 285 58.0%
  • Use of recycled materials

Votes: 48 9.8%
  • Green Credentials

Votes: 125 25.5%
  • loads of tech toys

Votes: 273 55.6%
  • amount of safety aids as standard

Votes: 192 39.1%
  • No other real choice

Votes: 17 3.5%
  • you thought it was an old mans car :)

Votes: 17 3.5%
101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys thought this would be an interesting poll. I keep being surprised by how similar we seem to be and it's starting to feel like more than a coincidence. We all seem to work in IT or engineering, and some of us are even veggies, animal loving, eco warriors. So what is it about the Ioniq that attracts such a crowd or is it balanced and actually just a coincidence?
I was looking for better fuel economy, Was considering TESLA, But couldn't trust Elon Musk. I felt was over exaggerated and that they would fold leaving me with a car I couldn't fix. Plus battery pack replacement is very expensive . Every hybrid or EV will eventually need batteries replaced. So biggest factor was lifetime battery replacement. But also on test drive I liked the way it handled. I had test drove the Kono as well and didn't like the road noise or feel. My wife's Malibu has lane assist and blind side warning that I liked, so I was also looking for those features.

·
Registered
160 Posts
so we have

• styling
  • fuel economy
  • tech / gadgets
  • use of recycled materials
  • value for money
  • brings out the I.T. geek in us
  • wanted a more environmentally friendly car
  • ditch a diesel car
  • other
anything else?
( "anything else?" )
I've got another.
When I was seventeen my father told me "Never stop learning. The day you stop is the day you begin to die!" WOW!
This design and technology package that also takes me where I want to go quietly or quickly if I feel like it also gives me one of the best incentives to learn!
I've seen some state that this car has a steep learning curve as if it were a bad thing!
I say the steeper the better!
?

Reactions: Ioniquest and 1stEV

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! New member and owner of a 2019 Ioniq Limited in Orange County, California.

I drive a 2013 Subaru WRX STI hatchback and needed a comfortable commuter car for the weekdays of 40-mile daily round-trips with great fuel economy (~18 mpg in the Subaru vs 50+ mpg in the Ioniq). The Ioniq is stylish and enjoyable to drive so far and I found such a great deal at Russell Westbrook Hyundai of Garden Grove.

I've already racked up 210+ miles this past weekend after purchasing the car this past Friday.

Cliff notes:
*Stylish (love all the LEDs and the HID headlights)
*Great fuel economy
*Great deal

-Jon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe there should be another reason such as 'preferable over a Prius'

My choice was either the Ioniq or the 2017 Prius, and I think the Ioniq beats the Prius on price, tech, and styling (for sure!).
I had issues including oil consumption problems with the Prius. I love the Ioniq.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’ve wanted an electric car since Tesla introduced the model s. When Hyundai offered the lease incentives on the 2019 models I couldn’t resist. I’m very happy with the purchase

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
29 Posts
For me good looks (IMO best looking Hybrid), tech, economy and as my 8 y/o puts it "looking after the turtles" e.g. green and environmental credentials. We just thought is was an overall top car with loads of tech and was the best value of all cars we were looking at. It's certainly a lot of car for the money!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Heard rumors of both Federal and Provincial incentives potentially running out and we had a limited scrapit program here in BC Canada where I got 6k for my old 2005 Corolla so I jumped on the Ioniq EV. If I was able to justify another 16k I would have gotten a Tesla but rather get this and keep the 16k sitting in the investments.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Extremely comptetive lease deals in 2019 and salary sacrafice. Beat any other EV hands down, even the £10k cheaper MG ZS EV (Let down by software)

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Blue
21 Posts
Hyundai is selling a car that looks good, performs well enough (better than my last two hybrids), and gets close to 60mpg. Week one and I land 66.7 on a 34mi drive. With some shopping and willingness to forego heated seats (that hurts) it can be had under $20k. Hard to pass up.
Added to that, either my wife or I have had a Hyundai for around 20 years, and they have been largely trouble free. My biggest issue has been dealership related, and my last Honda buying experience in 2012 helped put me off the brand (as well as the cost. Good cars, reliable, but not $4000 better).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hyundai is selling a car that looks good, performs well enough (better than my last two hybrids), and gets close to 60mpg. Week one and I land 66.7 on a 34mi drive. With some shopping and willingness to forego heated seats (that hurts) it can be had under $20k. Hard to pass up.
Added to that, either my wife or I have had a Hyundai for around 20 years, and they have been largely trouble free. My biggest issue has been dealership related, and my last Honda buying experience in 2012 helped put me off the brand (as well as the cost. Good cars, reliable, but not $4000 better).
They have come a long way since there first adventure with the Pony

·
Super Moderator
2,150 Posts
They have come a long way since there first adventure with the Pony
I drove a Pony wasn't too impressed . They had a Stella ( Stellar ? ) out at that time too , hired it for a couple of weeks and it was a brilliant car

·
Registered
164 Posts
When I was working for a Hyundai dealer many moons ago we actually sold loads of pony's and the boss used to order them 100 units at a time and sold them all, remember the stellar but that never sold in the large numbers the Pony did

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was originally looking into a Prius because of the standard adaptive cruise control (found out the Niro doesn't until the Touring) and amount of cargo space (we're starting a family/want to try it for car camping before then). And of course the fuel economy. However, after seeing how incentives for the Ioniq PHEV make it cheaper than the Prius, and the fact that the 2020 Ioniq has Android Auto and the Prius doesn't have it until 2021, it seems like a no-brainer to go Ioniq.

To be honest, I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the exterior of the Prius. Partially because it comes in a seafoam green color. I wish the Ioniq had a "fun" color option (easier to find your car in the parking lot).

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
24 Posts
Bought my 2019 Premium EV this October, paid £25,500 for 1 year old EV with 5k miles on, which I think was a bargain. Have been driving Ampera (range-extended EV hatchback) for 5 years now, doing 12k miles p.a. But EV range on that is only around 45-50 miles in summer, so local travel has been totallly solar-powered from panels on roof, but my regular long trips of 160 miles used petrol. Overall I've been getting 94 mpg p.a. Have been looking for a similar-sized hatchback ( I hate SUV style, aerodynamics are awful) that can do 160 miles in all weather with a bit of safety margin in hand. Am delighted with it so far! Only done a few trips so far thx to lockdown, and weather was cold & wet, so I hypermiled it & arrived with about 40 mile range in hand! I'm really, really impressed with the efficiency, and I love the easy use of the paddles. In Ampera I had to feather the accelerator v carefully to get the same effect, not nearly so simple! Size-wise this car's just about identical to Ampera, boot's 50L larger which is good, and it's got 5 seats not 4. Performance-wise I think the Ampera just has the edge in terms of off-the-line get-up-and-go, but there's very little in it tbh. I like the traditional approach of lots of manual buttons for main controls, and I don't think the minimalist Tesla screen-only approach is entirely safe, though the speech-recognition way of controlling things perhaps makes up for that. I prefer silence in the car, esp. when wife is asleep!

One thing I found on my first EVSE charge at home is that mine charges at 31.5 amps, which was enough to make the RCD in the mini-CU trip after about 15 minutes charging! It turns out that these 32 Amp RCDs are rated 32A at 30 degrees C, but if the temperature rises internally, e.g up to say 40C, then the current capacity gets de-rated by maybe a couple of amps! So Mine was de-rating to below 31.5A, then tripped out! So I've replaces that RCD with a 40A one, problem solved. An electrician mentioned he's seen some EVs charging at 34A !!!

101 - 116 of 116 Posts