Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

Why did you buy your Ioniq ( tick all that apply )

• How it looks / styling

Votes: 313 63.7%
  • Cost / much cheapness

Votes: 263 53.6%
  • Fuel Economy / cheap to run

Votes: 433 88.2%
  • Low emmission / care about environment

Votes: 285 58.0%
  • Use of recycled materials

Votes: 48 9.8%
  • Green Credentials

Votes: 125 25.5%
  • loads of tech toys

Votes: 273 55.6%
  • amount of safety aids as standard

Votes: 192 39.1%
  • No other real choice

Votes: 17 3.5%
  • you thought it was an old mans car :)

Votes: 17 3.5%
81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi folks. My ioniq is on motability lease. After having a lot of trouble with an Octavia automatic last year and a Nissan qashqai I gave up with motability thinking I'd be better running my own car. I wasn't! I love the style and comfort of the ioniq,the boot is large too for its size. I much prefer to drive automatics for ease and the gearbox in it is lovely,the car is so much better to drive than the Octavia which was supposed to be a premium brand.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Lower emissions was the main reason for us - climate change is an urgent problem, and lower-carbon cars are a significant part of the solution. Next was interior space (5 passengers plus nice-sized cargo hold) and then price.

And guess what, we’re vegetarian animal lovers (and birdwatchers) who work in software and online publishing. How odd that we ended up here! :)

I guess the psychological profile may be people who think things through, like to read technical specs (including on cars) and have compassion for our fellow people and other living things. The “heart plus mind” crowd :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
My 1st year of the Ioniq EV is almost up.
I’ve kept a careful record of battery charging and I did some calculations on fuel costs for the year.
I’ve only taken account of fuel cost because I would own a car anyway and the insurance, purchase price etc would be similar. The type 2 charger was part funded by the UK OLEV scheme.

Because I already had solar panels, a full EV was a good choice. Over the year, i’ve Paid £27.15 for power from the grid. The rest was free from solar. Now here’s the best bit; under the UK Feed in Tariff scheme I was paid roughly 15 pence for every kilowatt of solar. Because of that I earned triple what I spent.

It works out that for every mile I drive, I’m being paid 1.7 pence. Now that’s what I call a good deal ???

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi guys thought this would be an interesting poll. I keep being surprised by how similar we seem to be and it's starting to feel like more than a coincidence. We all seem to work in IT or engineering, and some of us are even veggies, animal loving, eco warriors. So what is it about the Ioniq that attracts such a crowd or is it balanced and actually just a coincidence?
It's just a coincidence. The real techies buy the I3. I'm a middle-aged, conservative real estate broker (I love animals, they're delicious) who happens to pile on a lot of miles, so this car just makes sense!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
It's just a coincidence. The real techies buy the I3. I'm a middle-aged, conservative real estate broker (I love animals, they're delicious) who happens to pile on a lot of miles, so this car just makes sense!
?

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
805 Posts
We're Hyundai people. My wife is on her fourth Santa Fe (a combination of high mileage driving plus trading in with decent warranty left and one unfortunate insurance write-off) while I have a 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT Manual which I adore, but in the back of my mind I've always felt guilty for not buying a Chevy Volt (Opel/Vauxhall Ampera). At 8 years and 20k past warranty the Genny suffered an unexpected and expensive problem, which although fixed has completely changed my attitude towards her. Instead of putting a smile on my face whenever I get behind the wheel it feels like a rolling liability, and I'm stressed waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It's time to put my money where my left leaning politics have been for decades and go electric, but not too electric as I want to travel 200 km and back for snowboarding on winter Saturdays without stopping on the way to or from the hill to charge. (In the morning I just want to get to the slopes, at day end I just want to get home.) The commute to my tech job (yep, you got me @TKGDee) is 50 km round trip by highway or 40 km through the city if I don't mind the extra time, so a plug-in hybrid is ideal.

I test drove the Volt and really wanted to like it, but something about the styling just isn't for me and its Consumer Reports reliability scores are dreadful as well. I also drove the Niro and it was a close race between it and the Ioniq, but pairing the cars to my phone for their test drives and cranking my usual house music sets revealed that the Niro's audio system was just way too thin. I don't want to live with that. While its roof rails would be good for a Thule box for the snowboard, I regularly got it in the Genny (not to mention a 29" mountain bike, some disassembly required) so it'll be just fine in the Ioniq. The Hyundai dealer also gave me the best trade-in value by far for the Genny, plus a loyalty bonus, and it's got the best styling of the three, so my choice was made.

Now I just have to wait for my Ioniq to get here, with hope that nothing else goes on the Genny in the meantime...

Reactions: Ioniquest

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ur a funny one :p old man's car.. it's too young and hip looking to be an old man's car.. think old men are just getting it to feel young again.. perhaps need to add that option on the poll lol :p
Could be an old man's car; I'm 63. My daughter if buying the Ioniq was a mid-life crisis buy. As with some of the other respondents I am in engineering. I have, and work with computers, but I am not in IT.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Could be an old man's car; I'm 63. My daughter if buying the Ioniq was a mid-life crisis buy. As with some of the other respondents I am in engineering. I have and work with computers, but I am not in IT.
bluioniq northern On Can ...I am also 63 semi-retired and fed up with soaring yo-yo fuel pricing while crud oil is dropping to almost an all-time low!

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had to get another car because my regular 16 year old Astra run-around would be penalised for driving into areas with clean air zones. I decided upon having a hybrid because they were favoured by the likes of taxi drivers, and I thought they were congestion charge exempt (goalposts changed again I believe). I had a look at options, and liked the Ioniqs' reviews and I liked its design/styling. I also especially liked the rear led lighting so the model I was having, and bought, was to be the Premium SE model. It is definitely a contrast to my 23 year old Astra. I must like it because I have added 6000 miles to it in the 3 months I have owned it. I have 2 minor complaints: I would have liked an audible feedback as well as the flashing lights to indicate locking/unlocking the car; the view through the rear window is a bit restricted - perhaps that could have been a display option on the centre console. So far, I have been very pleased with my Ioniq.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cheap with a online discount, all the tech, my local hyundai was advertsing a 10yr warranty with unlimited warranty on the hybrid battery. If the hybrid battery warranty did not exist I would of looked elsewhere. Something different than what everyone else drives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my 3rd hybrid car, and the very 1st from Hyundai. The rest is from the other H brand, which I have already sold them... ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I sold a 1994 Jeep Cherokee and I'm working on selling my 2003 Ford F250 pickup I use with a pop-up camper. The Ford gets 12mpg, always no matter the conditions, the Jeep got a similarly bad 17mpg on a good day. My wife and I are vegan and zero waste, I bicycle commute nearly year round and have for over 10 years. Some kind of logic I made for myself told me that despite how we lived our lives to most minimize our impact in every other way, compensated for our gas guzzling machines we used on a rare occasion for recreation. We rarely drive, only to go to the mountains, etc and some part of me thought it was OK that we offset our consumption so well in so many other ways.

Then, we went on our honeymoon in the Canadian Rockies and over the course of a month, consumed so much gasoline in the truck camper, I lost count. A single fill at the pump was something like 95liters. Weirdly enough, liters became much easier to visualize than gallons (since we no longer buy gallons of milk as vegans,) but we drink plenty of liter Nalgenes of water while backpacking. So when we got home from our trip and had spent close to $1000/US in gasoline over the course of the month, I decided we had to stop right then and there.

The Jeep sold last week and hopefully the truck will be gone soon. If we had the choice, I believe we would have shelled out the slight premium for the plug0in but in CO, they arent sold new and there were only a few used to choose from. Additionally, and this is going to sound terribly pretentious, we couldn't bring ourselves to buy a car with a leather interior but appreciated the premium features in the SEL trim as opposed to being forced to go with a base level trim just to avoid leather. My wife is a vet tech and I think the idea of sitting on the skin of a dead animal for the next 10 years would have been tough for her, me too.

Honestly, I would have chosen the Prius, especially the Prime if not for a few reasons. One, My wife up until recently drove a Hyundai Santa Fe and I think there was some part of the Ioniq and it's design that just felt really familiar. The Ioniq was so much less expensive and so much more intuitive in every way. It didn't require a steep learning curve the way the Prius did. And the Prius was hideous inside, I mean everything about the tech interface just felt wrong. That huge screen is fantastic but we are getting older and I would have a hard time giving up all my buttons and nobs for good just yet. But honestly I liked the car more in tons of other ways. Its just better sorted. Everything. Even if its something simple like having a handy little cubby to store the cargo cover. And it felt more comfortable inside, to me anyway. And... it had vegan leather on the upper trims. ha ha.

But the Hyundai was alot cheaper. And my wife liked it more. So here we are. I guess the biggest sense of buyers remorse I have are related to uncertain long term reliability. We drive our cars a long time and really hope this will be able to provide the same long term reliability the Prius has proven for years. I worry alot about the GDI motor, problems people have reported with it on this forum and their inherent drawbacks. And I worry that I recently discovered the emissions of the Ioniq are nowhere near the same league as the Prius, again due to the GDI design of their hybrid ICE. But at this point the car is ours and we have our fingers crossed cause we really do like it alot. Our MPG averages are off the chart, it feels really good.

Incidentally, since we occasionally need 2 cars and often only drive one at a time and when we do its often in the city, we bought a used e-golf imported from CA. I love that thing! crazy stupid cheap too. And we charge for free at our apartment. So the Ioniq is only being driven on occasion when we both need to drive for some reason or the range of the eGolf isnt enough.

Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm in the US. Years ago, my daughter got an older Prius as her first car. Then two years ago, but a used 2014 Leaf and loved it. A year ago, leased a new Honda Clarity because it was a great deal. I follow EV news very closely. Never considered an Ioniq because they have not been very available and the range is low. But then I heard about the $79/month lease deal. I figured I could replace the Leaf with it and just about double the range I can get. Ionics Electrics have not been selling much at all in the US, but now they are all being sold! I was able to get one of the last ones available. So, why did I buy it? Because it is a great value!

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq PHEV
47 Posts
Definitely CO2 reasons, but I admit it doesn't hurt that economics go with it. Here, fuel is expensive and electricity cheap and fossil-free. Would have preferred the EV of course but couldn't afford it and charging spots are yet too sparse and unreliable. And it's also fun to test PHEV technology a while. But I suspect have already turned into an electric junkie, yearning for a larger battery..

We all seem to work in IT or engineering, and some of us are even veggies, animal loving, eco warriors.
Bingo!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Low emissions, cheap to run, and the conservative design compared to other cars. I confess that I would NEVER buy something that looks like the Prius, both outside and inside. The Ioniq looks like a normal sedan, both exterior and interior wise. A plus is the ACC and the other tech stuff my previous cars did not have.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I bought my Ioniq PHEV for it's styling, features, relative Eco-friendliness and value since my long time 2003 Civic, while still economical to run was finally demanding more maintenance than I cared for. Plus after 13 years of ownership I was ready for a change

Frankly, I really wanted to buy either a Toyota or Honda because of their past experience with EVs, but when I compared and drove those cars plus the BMW I3 & a Ford Hybrid as well, in the end my decision was fairly easy.

To start with the Ioniq does not look like an electric car to my eye, it certainly does not SCREAM EV like some others.

I especially like the interior & dash treatment of my 2019 PHEV, with it's significant number of dials & buttons plus a more modest, yet still generous & well integrated touch screen display than coincidentally, the 2020 Ioniq models & many other makes. Having 3 seat belts in the back is great and the hatch-back design seems better than most for accessibility & space.

Also there is a full selection of Ioniq models to choose from; HEV, PHEV & EV, this gave me confidence as well.

I much prefer the Ioniq's 6 speed transmission to the usual CVT found in most electric variants.

The relatively generous Hyundai warranty was a plus, although in the end I opted to buy an extended warranty mainly because of the very expensive electronics & the like, which could possibly suffer a failure over time.

I chose the PHEV mainly for my city driving needs, which is usually less than 30-40 K/day and can be mainly EV, yet HEV is there as well to eliminate "range anxiety" as a first EV experiment, plus if I want to go on a longer drive I can.

Here in B.C, Canada, we are fortunate that 90% of our electricity comes from cleaner hydroelectric sources, so recharging from the grid is greener than in many other parts of our country.

In this day and age of ride sharing & mass public transit, I thought I'd feel better owning a cleaner air vehicle for my own selfish indulgence. It simply felt like the right thing to do at this time, even paying more than less costly ICE alternates, since I find myself fortunate enough to be able to pay for this privilege.

More & more UK and European cities have restrictions on ICE vehicles in their downtown cores, this makes sense to me here in North America as well, in an attempt to limit or hopefully reduce air pollution, so once again I am doing my own small part.

I certainly enjoy the additional benefit of using highway HOV lanes as a single occupant, especially in the city.

Finally, more than a year later I'm happy that my Ioniq continues to meet or exceed my expectations and still puts a smile on my face with it's understated style! (y) (y)

·
Registered
124 Posts
On top of everything else ... the ECO-green stuff, the good looks, the discount from the dealer etc., it was the gadget to price ratio that finally won me over, I have to admit..... Hey, that's a new number I made up ... the "GTP" ratio, the higher the better...:)
We traded our 2013 Audi A3 on the Ioniq. The GTP ratio in the "old" A3 was much higher than the Ioniq and the LKAS is about 5,000x better. Having said that as a long time diesel VAG owner I find their despicable dieselgate behavior trumps everything and will never buy one again.
I am just hoping the CTMAV (cost to maintain ageing vehicle) is low in the Ioniq.
Love driving the Plugin but it is not one "for the kids", too hard to smoke up the tyres...

·
Registered
29 Posts
For the last four years I've had a Smart Roadster as my project car but for the amount of things I wanted to add to it, as well as parts becoming much more expensive now, I figured it was time to get something more practical and modern.

I wanted a saloon shape, sizes with an A3 or A4, a hybrid or electric drivetrain, and not super expensive as saving for a house. I promised myself a couple of years ago I would never buy another purely ICE vehicle again.

I shopped around second hand and new, almost bought a new Peugeot 508 that fitted absolutely none of my criteria, and eventually settled on the refreshed Ioniq Hybrid as the new interior won me over. I couldn't be happier and am desperate to sell my car ahead of picking up the new one in two weeks when it arrives in the country.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Motability Lease so none of the above but wanted to see and experience what hybrid was all about

81 - 100 of 116 Posts