Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

Why did you buy your Ioniq ( tick all that apply )

• How it looks / styling

Votes: 313 63.7%
  • Cost / much cheapness

Votes: 263 53.6%
  • Fuel Economy / cheap to run

Votes: 433 88.2%
  • Low emmission / care about environment

Votes: 285 58.0%
  • Use of recycled materials

Votes: 48 9.8%
  • Green Credentials

Votes: 125 25.5%
  • loads of tech toys

Votes: 273 55.6%
  • amount of safety aids as standard

Votes: 192 39.1%
  • No other real choice

Votes: 17 3.5%
  • you thought it was an old mans car :)

Votes: 17 3.5%
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
its a bit of both, cold and more draw on the batteries

hence preheat helps, @Jan Treur can tell you more, he has a spreadsheet that tracks range v temp and speed

the battery temperature management has a heater to warm the batteries and also uses a fan to draw cabin air in to cool the batteries
How do you track this data? I'd be interested to set something similar up when I get my Ioniq (in terms of "fuel" efficiency for temp/speed) to see how it compares with my ICE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Only voted fuel-economy

Seemed pointless to muddy the data by checking all the boxes, except the old-man one, even though I am one, and speaking as one, old men would have trouble with all the tech in this thing, and getting used to driving away with nothing but the sound of musical chime. I have had the car beep my ass numerous times for leaving it "on" and trying to lock the door and walk away.
So I voted fuel economy as my main reason. I average about 38k Km / year so I can really use the break at the pump.
Styling could have been the second choice. My usual reaction to spotting a Prius Prime is "holygeezusHcryswhatthehellisthat" with those wings that take me back to my childhood, plus I couldn't live with a dash that's misplaced to the middle of the car.
Eco is third, I honestly do think we all need to do at least something.

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
been a while since I bumped this one, had quite a few new members so time to give it a shove into the light again :)

interesting now we have a good number of votes

87% bought the Ioniq for good fuel economy

followed by 66% styling / looks

followed by 61% tech / toys

followed by 57% low emissions / care about environment

followed by 53% cost

·
Registered
6 Posts
My primary motivation for the Ioniq EV is environmental, combined with the fact that I don't need a lot of range (I average about 12000 km/yr in short-ish trips) so a longer-range battery EV doesn't make a lot of economic sense. In Alberta where there are no incentives for EV cars the price certainly isn't "cheap", but it's best option I found on the low range. I'd actually looked for an EV 11 years ago when I last replaced my vehicle, but that was apparently a little too early...

I like the fact that it's one of the more aerodynamic and energy efficient ones, too -- going farther on less battery power than a Leaf, and with top-rated winter battery performance, too. I'm certainly a min-maxer for energy efficiency.

One additional factor that I didn't mention is that I needed something that would fit 5 adults in a pinch (a couple of them over 180cm), and we found the back seats to have more leg room than the Leaf (and a lot of cars this size), even if the head room is a bit short.

As far as owner profiles, though: I'm programmer at a game studio, vegetarian, have 3 dogs & 6 cats... maybe similar to others here, it seems...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Love it Darkrobyn :D Thats what I like to hear !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mid life crisis! Had 2 Subaru gas guzzling brutes and needed to redress the balance >:)

Choice between the Ioniq and the Prius, and as much as I like 'Transformers', the Ioniq won ;)

Love the tech stuff and the fact that my driving style now shows 0% aggression :eek:

Meat eater with no pets....:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look at me, a brand new IoniQ owner! As of 24 hours ago. Why did I get it?

- I used to own a honda Insight that I loved, but the new version of it this year is a complete re-do and horrible imho
- I stumbled into a showroom just for curiosity and saw the IoniQ - It really was love at 1st sight. I knew there and then I would buy it without even seeing the inside.
- The tech on the thing is fantastic. It is without a doubt the most integrated vehicle I have seen.

Thus far, it drives perfectly at the start of our long Canadian winter. Cheers to all!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Purchased Ioniq (HEV in my case) after talking with my neighbour who bought one before I did. I was attracted to the cheaper price (compared to Prius), the sleek lines and good looks, the large truck/boot, and the great fuel economy.

Were it not for my neighbour purchasing one, I would have never heard of an Ioniq because Hyundai does virtually no advertising for this car in Canada, surprisingly. I have no regrets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
mostly because I wanted a more eco friendly car. The extra fuel economy and the extra safety features (I was driving a 18 year old Hyundai Accent, not much of technology in there) are a nice bonus on top of it

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mid life crisis indeed, owning a number of high performance MR and AWD machines plus a econ box daily run about, got a guilty feeling towards the environmental issues and hate being held hostage by the oil giants. Decided a full EV is the best way to go forward, both environmentally sound and Ioniq was the only one (cheapest Model 3 still do not exist as of today) that had sufficient range, interior space and acceptable price for mere mortal like me.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have always wanted an electric vehicle, but couldn't afford a Tesla. So I compromised on a Prius to start with as I needed the range. Then I went for the plug in Prius. When the EV range improved, I was all set to buy the EV Golf and was looking at reviews etc on YouTube, when I saw a comparison of a number of EV's, one of which was the Ioniq. Until I saw that, I had no idea the Ioniq even existed. It seems to be a well kept secret in the motor trade. So thank you YouTube and Fully Charged for a fantastic review and unintended advertising by Robert Llewellyn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had a Hybrid as my last car (Toyota Auris) and wanted to get similar this time around. Being on the Motability scheme though, the options are somewhat limited. Cash is a little tight at the mo, so the Ioniq, being the only Hybrid with a reversing camera available for 0 deposit was an obvious draw. I've only had it two days but so far It's definitely a wise choice, and feels like a step up.

Reactions: ds093

·
Registered
300 Posts
I picked the Ioniq because I'm lazy. It's a company car, which means everything is taken care of for me. Insurance, servicing, tyres, courtesy car, it's all covered.

Actually, that justification is why I have a company car, instead of taking the cash allowance and running a private vehicle.

Why did I pick the Ioniq specifically?

At the time, the entire company list was diesel-only, and (even before diesels were exposed as the sham they are) I refused to countenance driving another diesel. Had one, and disliked feeling like a hypocritical fraud for four years. The sole exception to the diesel-only rule was petrol-hybrid, and my choices were:

• Toyota Holier-than-Thou, er, I mean Pious (So no. Just no. Absolutely not.)
  • Honda Insight (again, just no. Ugh. Have you seen one?)
  • Ford Mondeo (brilliant ergonomics, but astronomical out-of-pocket cost to me, so no.)
  • Lexus CT200h (very comfortable, but poor ergonomics, and a test drive revealed lousy fuel economy for a supposed hybrid, so no.)
  • Hyundai Ioniq (didn't know anything about it, but a test drive revealed Ford-quality ergonomics, superb fuel economy, and excellent long-distance comfort. And the lease was dirt-cheap, only slightly more than a Ford Fiesta. So yes, very much yes.)

And, apart from a few very minor, inconsequential, easily-overlooked irritations with some trivial aspects of the car, it's been rock-solid. Hyundai has been proactive with any recalls (to the best of my knowledge). 20 months into the lease and I'm still pleased with my choice.

·
Registered
274 Posts
A little bit different, I get a new car every 3 years via the Motability scheme. I've had a Vauxhall Astra estate for the past 3 years but don't want another estate (too big and feels heavy to drive). Thing is, I need a boot big enough to fit my wheelchair into but the vast majority of hatchback boots are way to small. The boot in the Ioniq is perfect (although it won't fit in the PHEV or EV) so that was the main reason for the choice but I do love the look of it and the kit level is excellent for the price. Also, when I test drove it, it just felt like a perfect fit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Primarily economy.
Every car I've owned has returned an improvement in fuel consumption on the previous one. So to continue that trend from my frugal diesel Qashqai meant a hybrid (I'm not yet ready for an EV).
Doing a lot of research into hybrids in my price bracket left only one clear winner, that was an improvement on my previous car in just about every way.
I obviously love the economy, but also the much better infotainment system and other gadgetry. The transmission, comfort, handling, large boot etc and the way it makes me drive in a more relaxed fashion.
The only things I miss from my last car are the heated windscreen on frosty mornings and the electronic parking brake; but the advantages of my new toy far outweigh those little omissions.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It was simply time to replace my 2014 Prius, and at first the intention was to get another one, until I looked at the range and realised that to get the same trim as I already had, would cost more than I could afford.

Not wanting to go back to a conventional car after years of 55mpg motoring, I started thinking about alternatives to the Prius, and the Ioniq looked like it might be a good choice. Went to the dealer to look at one and take a test drive, and I was pretty much hooked by the comfort, equipment, driving experience and mpg.I bought the SEL I'd test driven, and waved a final goodbye to the Prius. The bottom line is the Ioniq is just great value for money.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Went from a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L with a rusted out frame getting 13MPG to a 2019 Base Ioniq PHEV

No option on the poll for not wasting weekends repairing rusted out body panels or boxing rotted frames

I'm second guessing not looking seriously at the BEV - I am actually getting annoyed at the sound of the ICE so it didn't take long for me to get spoiled!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Went from a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L with a rusted out frame getting 13MPG to a 2019 Base Ioniq PHEV

No option on the poll for not wasting weekends repairing rusted out body panels or boxing rotted frames

I'm second guessing not looking seriously at the BEV - I am actually getting annoyed at the sound of the ICE so it didn't take long for me to get spoiled!
I guess the poll should have included this scenario plus a few thousand more for opinions on fixing rusted body panels of all brands and makes of trucks, pickups, minivans, etc. >:) seriously your take on the poll question is still unknown.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts