Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried using it today. No luck.

The remote key is equipped with a "mechnical", metal key that can be released from the remote key.

How do I use it, if needed? And when will it be needed?

Can I start and drive the car with it?

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
there is a small silver button on the key which releases the mechanical key

if you have keyless entry there is nowhere for the key to start the car, but in event of the keyfob battery being weak / flay you hold the key against the start/stop button

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I tried using it today. No luck.

The remote key is equipped with a "mechnical", metal key that can be released from the remote key.

How do I use it, if needed? And when will it be needed?

Can I start and drive the car with it?
I assume you have a smart key, you need to remove the lock cover to unlock car, see attachment, as @bluecar1 says press the fob against start button to start car if remote not working. The mechanical key is needed if the smart key stops working or the remote lock/unlock stops working
To make sure I tried it on mine, removed battery from remote, removed lock cover, unlocked car, opened door,Car Alarm went off how do you stop it when fob not working. stopped after 30 seconds started car by pressing fob against start button

Attachments

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also need to carry a screwdriver!

If the "fob" is not working, how can it help pressing it against the start button? How will it know, and why shall it know, it's nor just my usual finger pressing it?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I also need to carry a screwdriver!

If the "fob" is not working, how can it help pressing it against the start button? How will it know, and why shall it know, it's nor just my usual finger pressing it?
You don't need a screwdriver, I used the end of the key, if you look at my photo there is a plastic button in the square hole in cover, you just need to press that button to lift the cover up.
Yes pressing the start button with the fob does work, I tested it with the battery removed from the fob I assume it works the same way contact less payment cards work.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I finally got the piece off using the tip of the key and some force. Mechanical key works!
Even harder to get i back on, with the button to lock it properly, but finally managed to.

Next thing then, is to find out how to access the batteries in the "fob", to temporarily remove it, to test that it's still works in proximity.

Yes, a unit may have a passive, wave reflection signature that a device may identify. Didn't expect that when there is a battery and a tiny radio transmitter already built in.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Can you show how you removed /replaced the keyfob battery? What type of battery is it ? CR2032?. Seems you need to break open the cover. Where do you place your knife or screwdriver?. I'm very afraid to crush it. My other fobs had a little screw inserted. This fob has not.
So again I feel myself screwed by Hyundai. As always not a word about it in the manual.OMG, why dont they read this forum better at Hyundai?

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,836 Posts
If you have to press the start/stop button with the keyfob, orientation is also apparently important, per the manual. I was told this also charges the keyfob battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Can you show how you removed /replaced the keyfob battery? What type of battery is it ? CR2032?. Seems you need to break open the cover. Where do you place your knife or screwdriver?. I'm very afraid to crush it. My other fobs had a little screw inserted. This fob has not.
So again I feel myself screwed by Hyundai. As always not a word about it in the manual.OMG, why dont they read this forum better at Hyundai?
No tools used, just my fingernail. with mechanical key removed. I think Hyundai prefer customers to get dealer to replace battery

Attachments

·
Registered
776 Posts
Thanks. Learned something new again. You have strong nails. Looks a little junk fabric. Will it still close after opening it twice or do we need sellotape then?

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you have to press the start/stop button with the keyfob, orientation is also apparently important, per the manual. I was told this also charges the keyfob battery.
CR2032 cell batteries are not rechargeable. Dont listen to small talk.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Thanks. Learned something new again. You have strong nails. Looks a little junk fabric. Will it still close after opening it twice or do we need sellotape then?
Yes it Closes no problem
Ok, succeeded to open it. My nail broke so I used the physical insert key. Put it in on top and turning slightly. The parts then separated. Fortunately CR2032 is a common battery type. Easy to get. My Honda had a difficult battery CR2530. One little plus for Hyundai.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I read all the posts so far made on this thread.
For at least half of them I had to say (under my breath), RTFM!
Changing remote battery even has picture. So far, no mechanical or operational things missing from MANUAL.
Yes it is 60 MB but riveting reading. :)
Luv my kar.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Following DaveIon's difficulty getting to the key hole, I had a go to help him.

It’s not the kind of task you need on a dark wet windy night!!

I think that is the poorest piece of engineering design I’ve ever come across.

The task needs at least four hands; one each to hold the torch, key or screwdriver, cover plate and door handle. It’s clearly intended for absolute emergencies.

It’s almost impossible to remove the cover plate without damaging paint around the button hole.

The only reasonably easy method for removal I found was to wedge the door handle open with a flat pencil eraser and using a thin bladed screwdriver, push the button in, wedge the blade between the button and the outer edge of the button hole and gently lever it toward you until it releases.

Anyone found a simpler way (other than calling out Hyundai Assist!!!) ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have the 2020 38kwh ioniq, the key hole cover seems to be screwed on as well as locked in place, seems daft to need a screwdriver to get in in an emergency. Is that a new enhancement. None of this is in the manual I have at least!

·
Registered
519 Posts
@Electrickery, please check your thread attached below for both video and photos ....

Reactions: Electrickery

·
Registered
177 Posts
Cheers all, yep prised it off, it is quite tight but no tools required. Useful to know, it definitely isn't mentioned in my manual!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I read all the posts so far made on this thread.
For at least half of them I had to say (under my breath), RTFM!
Changing remote battery even has picture. So far, no mechanical or operational things missing from MANUAL.
Yes it is 60 MB but riveting reading. :)
Luv my kar.
Well, on my third (3rd) Ioniq, this one 2020 Hybrid Blue, I was in Corvid lock-down and when I went to garage prepared to go to grocery, fob won't work. Neither will the other one. So, this will be about four (4) times had to use 12V Battery Reset button.
BUT: I can't get the little key cover off. Had trouble every time before but this time, it really won't come off. Even used a rubber mallot and can make it move up and down a little but it won't jump off and go ding-a-ling on the garage floor!
I can't drive it to the dealer unless I get the door open.
I hate to think about taking a grinder to the cover to allow access to the mechanical key hole. Maybe I'll go down and try again after a nap. I had suggestions for Hyundai the first time I went to Italy and came home to a "dead" car. (well, really only sleeping with the battery relay open)
Anyone have the magic phrase that will pop off the key cover? I really have not tried any of the curse words I've heard over the years. Somehow I can't believe they would help.
HELP !
kk

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
You have roadside service under warranty. Or towing to dealer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts