Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A common use case is driving to get groceries. I get out of the shop, arms filled with bags and use the auto tailgate opener. Put the bags in, close the tailgate and go to the drivers side, where inevitably the doors are locked and don't respond to me getting near. So now I have to find the key to open the door. So much for auto opening doors!

Am I stupid and there's a way to make this work? Or is it another oversight by the design team?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seems normal to me, but should maybe be a configurable option.
On my CX5 the trunk will auto unlock it you open it with the key nearby, but the doors do not unlock. You need to unlock the doors separately.
The thinking may be that people will want to grab things from the trunk without unlocking the rest of the vehicle?

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Cyber Grey Limited
117 Posts
A common use case is driving to get groceries. I get out of the shop, arms filled with bags and use the auto tailgate opener. Put the bags in, close the tailgate and go to the drivers side, where inevitably the doors are locked and don't respond to me getting near. So now I have to find the key to open the door. So much for auto opening doors!

Am I stupid and there's a way to make this work? Or is it another oversight by the design team?
The way to hack it is to walk away in disgust. Make sure to walk far enough away that upon return your doors will sense your return and open all the doors. 😬 🤪
I too have this happen all the time.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I dont think that the OP's issue is the separate functions of the tailgate unlock and the doors unlock per-se.

I think that the issue raised by the OP is that the auto unlock function for the doors didn't work after the tailgate was opened and closed.

I.e., the OP wanted to load the car, close the tailgate, walk around to the driver's door, and then have the doors auto-unlock as they normally would.

Instead, it seems that once the sensors detected the fob near the car, they get confused and will only unlock one thing (euther the tailgate, or the doors).

Walking away from the car for a few minutes then going back straight towards the driver's door will probably work, as it will give the sensors time to reset themselves. But obviously it defeats the purpose of having a keyless entry system.... quicker to just press the square on the door handle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont think that the OP's issue is the separate functions of the tailgate unlock and the doors unlock per-se.

I think that the issue raised by the OP is that the auto unlock function for the doors didn't work after the tailgate was opened and closed.

I.e., the OP wanted to load the car, close the tailgate, walk around to the driver's door, and then have the doors auto-unlock as they normally would.

Instead, it seems that once the sensors detected the fob near the car, they get confused and will only unlock one thing (euther the tailgate, or the doors).

Walking away from the car for a few minutes then going back straight towards the driver's door will probably work, as it will give the sensors time to reset themselves. But obviously it defeats the purpose of having a keyless entry system.... quicker to just press the square on the door handle.
Yeah you're right that is weird. Could you trigger auto unlock first, including the tailgate? I've not got mine yet, so all this experimenting yet to come.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yeah you're right that is weird. Could you trigger auto unlock first, including the tailgate? I've not got mine yet, so all this experimenting yet to come.
I think that the auto-open tailgate feature only works when the car is locked.

So if you unlock the car first.... the tailgate won't auto-open.

Designer vs OP 1:0 - you can't win :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Yeah this is exactly it.

1. Approach door -> car unlocks and present handles
2. Go close to tailgate -> tailgate opens and handles go in again (because you are too far away from the doors?)
3. Load the trunk and press button to close tailgate
4. Go to driver door -> nothing happens.

At 4 i would prefer the handles to present themselves again automatically. Or just remain out when you go to the tailgate.

As I have now learned after experimenting, you can indeed press the button to get the handles to pop out again. So I guess this is the intended behavior, just as when you ge out of the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts