Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that the maximum loading weight on the trunk is measly 60 kg? Read it in a car magazine but I can not find that info in the owners manual.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That can't be right, can it? That's only like 3 fully-laden suitcases...

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
i've not seen any actual figures for the max load in the boot, all the manual says is to avoid excessive load on the battery to prevent damage due to crushing,

I carry a fair bit in the boot when shopping, main thing is to ensure where possible the load evenly spread, if a hybrid there is no issue of crushing the battery in the boot, only if you put the rear seats down

more of an issue for EV owners who have part of the battery in the boot

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is it true that the maximum loading weight on the trunk is measly 60 kg? Read it in a car magazine but I can not find that info in the owners manual.

Hi. From the original press release from the UK press office, The HYBRID kerb weight is 1370kg (3014lbs) min to 1477kg (3250lbs) depending on model variant. Max kerb weight is given as 1870 kg (4114lbs) for the hybrid. This excludes any allowance for a driver. So, doing the maths:

HYBRID
4414lbs - 3014lbs = 1400lbs max for lowest spec model.
4414lbs - 3250lbs = 1164lbs max for highest spec model.

1870kg - 1370kg = 500kg payload etc
1870kg - 1477kg = 393kg payload etc

Now deduct the weight of yourself, the weight of anyone else you are carrying on that journey, and any "stuff" you have in the car, phones, chargers, hand bags, dogs, children etc etc. The number that you are left with is what you can carry. Whether you can carry it all in the trunk is unknown. However the battery in the hybrid (and the PHEV) is under the rear seat so don't carry too may big guys!

If it is the BEV that you are talking about the figures shown are 1420kg min 1475kg max kerb weights. 1880 max overall (gross) weight.

Low spec model is 460kg payload and 405kg high spec car. 1012lbs low spec and 891lbs high spec.
deduct the weight of people/stuff and you are left with what you can carry.

On the BEV the battery is part under the rear seat and part under the trunk (boot) floor.

Hope this helps, but is UK spec.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. From the original press release from the UK press office, The HYBRID kerb weight is 1370kg (3014lbs) min to 1477kg (3250lbs) depending on model variant. Max kerb weight is given as 1870 kg (4114lbs) for the hybrid. This excludes any allowance for a driver. So, doing the maths:

HYBRID
4414lbs - 3014lbs = 1400lbs max for lowest spec model.
4414lbs - 3250lbs = 1164lbs max for highest spec model.

1870kg - 1370kg = 500kg payload etc
1870kg - 1477kg = 393kg payload etc

Now deduct the weight of yourself, the weight of anyone else you are carrying on that journey, and any "stuff" you have in the car, phones, chargers, hand bags, dogs, children etc etc. The number that you are left with is what you can carry. Whether you can carry it all in the trunk is unknown. However the battery in the hybrid (and the PHEV) is under the rear seat so don't carry too may big guys!

If it is the BEV that you are talking about the figures shown are 1420kg min 1475kg max kerb weights. 1880 max overall (gross) weight.

Low spec model is 460kg payload and 405kg high spec car. 1012lbs low spec and 891lbs high spec.
deduct the weight of people/stuff and you are left with what you can carry.

On the BEV the battery is part under the rear seat and part under the trunk (boot) floor.

Hope this helps, but is UK spec.
Yeah that is correct however the magazine stated that there was a label on the boot floor warning not to load more than 60 kg. Strange. Just have to test drive again I guess and check the boot floor.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Picked up a consignment of books today . Loaded 11 boxes in the cargo area each weighing 20Kg ( about 45 pounds ) . No problems to report on the 45 mile drive home , other than my fuel efficiency taking a minor hit .
That hardboard must be stronger than it looks and feels :)

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
For the Ioniq EV some more care may be needed, as in that case there already is a lot of weight on the rear wheels due to the battery and there is less weight on the front wheels due to the lack of an ICE.

Having extra weight in the area between front wheels and rear wheels is relatively harmless (for example, heavy passengers), as that does not change the weight distribution over the wheels much. But weight in the boot behind the rear wheels is less harmless, as that gives more weight on the rear wheels, and not on the front wheels. It may even happen that heavy stuff behind the rear wheels lifts the front wheels a bit so that they have less weight and might slip more easily. This may be the reason for the 60 kg max.

So for the EV version for heavy stuff it is advisable to put the extra weight mainly between front and rear wheels, for example, by folding the rear seats down and put most weight there, or by putting it on the front and rear seats.

Reactions: Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Picked up a consignment of books today . Loaded 11 boxes in the cargo area each weighing 20Kg ( about 45 pounds ) . No problems to report on the 45 mile drive home , other than my fuel efficiency taking a minor hit .
That hardboard must be stronger than it looks and feels :)

Nice, You have a picture from the cargo of the roof? :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Nice, You have a picture from the cargo of the roof? :nerd:
I'm afraid I didn't .....maybe next trip in a few weeks time . The boxes were 14 inch x 9 inch x 12 inch ( 36cm x 30 cm x 23 cm ) , stacked two deep and didn't obscure my rear vision at if that's what you need to know :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts