Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email in the past few days about some new map update from Hyundai and how to do it. Are these things worth doing? It seemed to take many hours in total to do it but I don’t want to bother unless there are significant changes that are worth doing. What do you guys advise?

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Premium SE PHEV
271 Posts
I got an email in the past few days about some new map update from Hyundai and how to do it. Are these things worth doing? It seemed to take many hours in total to do it but I don’t want to bother unless there are significant changes that are worth doing. What do you guys advise?
Haven't seen the email myself, but the Navigation system is pretty useless anyway and I will leave it to my dealer to make any changes at my annual service.(for what they are worth)
The Google navigation system (available as a free app) beats it hands down.
Never rely on Hyundai navigation if it's important. You will get where you want to go eventually but via some very strange routes. You have been warned!!
Seems to make no difference whether you say Short or Fast.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would say if you use the stock maps, definitely you should do it. Otherwise it's not mandatory. I'm answering from Canada. Here the phone plans are very expensive and roaming was difficult in the States. Therefore I relied on the stock navigation. If you travel abroad, you will need it if you don't own a roaming plan.

The software has a few improvements, not much, but if you feel comfortable you should update.

Overall I would say it's useful, but not extremely necessary.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,406 Posts
I "installed" the north american update today.

When I swapped SD cards the system detected it and restarted but that was it. I found that odd so went into Setup> System Info> Update and there it said that no update was necessary but asked if I wanted to do it anyway. I said yes, but when all was said and done the software, firmware, etc. versions were unchanged. Only the map data itself was different, but this loads directly from the SD card at runtime anyway. So the system was right, I didn't need to update it; just swapping to the new SD card and letting it restart is enough if you've already done the Spring 2020 update.

Of course all the missing new streets in my neighbourhood are still missing, and the street they turned into a trail 7 years ago still shows up as a usable street. So something in the map data is new, but nothing that matters to me. :)

Edit to add: On my 2019 Canadian PHEV the versions are now:

SW Ver. AEPHEV.CAN.SOP.V115.200324.STD_H (unchanged from Spring 2020 update)
Firmware Ver. AEPHEV.CAN.292.20313.MICOM.D (unchanged from Spring 2020 update)
Nav App Ver. DAP.NAM.HMC.200316.b904be86 (unchanged from Spring 2020 update)
Map Ver. NAM.13.47.44.680.101.5 (new, was NAM.13.41.42.660.102.5 after Spring 2020 update)

Reactions: DocMiller

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interesting KevinT that your results were different from mine.
As I remember from looking through the update site long ago the HEV/EV update product is different than the PHEV Update product.
Did you update from the new Nav Site or the original MapCare Site?
EDIT Sep 8,2020
Removed statement that, I no longer had map version shown. Found Operator Error in that my fingers don"t work very well to scroll to next screen,

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,406 Posts
I started at mapnsoft.com/hyundai, but it took me to a different site (I forget the address) to fetch the actual downloader.

This is the third time I've updated the car, and each time the web experience has been different. Last year at this time Canada wasn't even done through mapnsoft, it was something else entirely that I linked to through the Hyundai Canada web site. I'd bookmarked it at the time, but for the spring update it forwarded me to mapnsoft, and a month or two after that it was gone completely.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I "installed" the north american update today.

When I swapped SD cards the system detected it and restarted but that was it. I found that odd so went into Setup> System Info> Update and there it said that no update was necessary but asked if I wanted to do it anyway. I said yes, but when all was said and done the software, firmware, etc. versions were unchanged. Only the map data itself was different, but this loads directly from the SD card at runtime anyway. So the system was right, I didn't need to update it; just swapping to the new SD card and letting it restart is enough if you've already done the Spring 2020 update.

Of course all the missing new streets in my neighbourhood are still missing, and the street they turned into a trail 7 years ago still shows up as a usable street. So something in the map data is new, but nothing that matters to me. :)

Edit to add: On my 2019 Canadian PHEV the versions are now:

SW Ver. AEPHEV.CAN.SOP.V115.200324.STD_H (unchanged from Spring 2020 update)
Firmware Ver. AEPHEV.CAN.292.20313.MICOM.D (unchanged from Spring 2020 update)
Nav App Ver. DAP.NAM.HMC.200316.b904be86 (unchanged from Spring 2020 update)
Map Ver. NAM.13.47.44.680.101.5 (new, was NAM.13.41.42.660.102.5 after Spring 2020 update)
@KevinT do you have the 2020 facelift or 2016-2019 model out of interest?

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,406 Posts
@KevinT do you have the 2020 facelift or 2016-2019 model out of interest?
It's at the bottom of each of my posts in the signature, a Canadian 2019 IONIQ electric plus (PHEV) Ultimate. Also in the post you quoted, "On my 2019 Canadian PHEV the versions are now"...

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Plug in Hybrid Premier SE
39 Posts
It's at the bottom of each of my posts in the signature, a Canadian 2019 IONIQ electric plus (PHEV) Ultimate. Also in the post you quoted, "On my 2019 Canadian PHEV the versions are now"...
Hi KevinT The Hyundai updater program has just gone live in the uk and it shows my ioniq 2020 phev as suitable for updates. I have downloaded the files to a USB stick and would like your advice on how to install in vehicle.
The update page says to keep the engine running however as you know the engine cuts between electric and petrol engine automatically. Spoke on the customer chat line, which is now open and they say "DON'T RUN THE ENGINE".
Can you tell me the procedure you use on your phev to upload the maps. your help would be appreciated. Mnay thanks .Paul

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,406 Posts
I just start the car as normal, but of course leave it in Park. This ensures that the DC-DC converter (which powers the 12V systems from the high voltage battery) is running, so that the radio has power throughout the entire update. For comfort and security I do this in our garage with a fully charged EV battery, and the climate control off so that the engine won't start up (as it might otherwise to provide heat) and suffocate me. I could do it in our driveway and then not care about the engine running, but then I'd have to stay in the car the whole time. "Ain't nobody got time for that", lol.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Plug in Hybrid Premier SE
39 Posts
Thanks for your help I thought of switching to EV mode to make sure engine didn't come on but never thought of the climate control causing engine start up. Nothing is ever simple. Good to have an official update Hyundai site. Thanks again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did my 2018 8" gen 5 map update the other day using the updater. Downloading the maps took a while (I think the download was 23GB ish) but sticking the card in the car with it switched on and the HVAC off to stop the engine running took about 10-5 mins. It reboots itself several times during this process. The instructions on the updater are easy to follow even for this 60 year old codger!

Reactions: KevinT
1 - 13 of 13 Posts