Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE Black
207 Posts
My old Leaf30 had a 13amp granny charger, but man it was like a 5kg brick and the cable was noticeably thicker and heavier then the 10amp Hyundai granny charger. Never had problems with it, but could feel some warmth around the wall sockets it was plugged into.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
323 Posts
My old Leaf30 had a 13amp granny charger, but man it was like a 5kg brick and the cable was noticeably thicker and heavier then the 10amp Hyundai granny charger. Never had problems with it, but could feel some warmth around the wall sockets it was plugged into.
I had a leaf 30 on an extended 4 day test, I'm sure it only had a 10A charger though. It did seem to have some advanced circuitry in it though as it refused to work with an old 10a extension lead I had.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there anyway you can limit amperage via the car's controls when charging on a household socket? I understand that will slow the charge rate even longer, but at least the peak load is lessened.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq EV
4 Posts
That's why some people in the States use adapters to connect the ICCB charger to a 240V outlet, or to two 120V outlets with opposite phases.
Hopefully no one in the "States" or anywhere else is connecting to two 120V outlets to charge their car or do anything else of the sort.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hopefully no one in the "States" or anywhere else is connecting to two 120V outlets to charge their car or do anything else of the sort.
Not an electrician.

what’s wrong with using two 120V outlets?

why would you want to use two 120V outlets of opposite phase in the first place? How would you discover the phase of each outlet?

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq EV
4 Posts
Not an electrician.

what’s wrong with using two 120V outlets?

why would you want to use two 120V outlets of opposite phase in the first place? How would you discover the phase of each outlet?
There are lots of things wrong with using two 120V outlets to get 240V. The first is it's against the National Electric Code, I can't quote because it would violate many parts of the code. Also, there are too many ways to mess this up. Is it really worth risking a fire, or electrocution? Why would be to get 240V without having to install a new circuit. You aren't detecting "phase" but the way to know would be to use a volt meter.

·
Registered
2018 Ioniq PHEV
25 Posts
Is there anyway you can limit amperage via the car's controls when charging on a household socket? I understand that will slow the charge rate even longer, but at least the peak load is lessened.
There is a button on the back of the charger that allows you to switch between High (default when initially plugged in), Medium, and Low.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
452 Posts
Being hopeful won't change people's behavior... ;)

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,135 Posts
On the plug-in there are settings under the PHEV menu of the infotainment system, I assume there's an equivalent EV menu on that model.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts