Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, not many seem to have lowered the Ioniq. Found one thread where OP got told it's not a sports car and it scrapes already stock. Hm, well... The car got good clearence and there is a high quality H&R lowering kit available so I went for it.

It was a sub 1h install, very stright forward. Not even spring compressors needed. Rear was done in like 5min. I have a 2 pillar lift and air tools. My car is fairly new so even the ball links for the sway bar did come loose no problems. If those would have spun the install could easily have taken twice the time.

No complications, looks way more sleek. I find the stock car look like it's standing on it's toes. 27mm drop of the lift and I assume the springs will drop a little more with time so the promosed 30mm seems spot on. Ride is good, nothing crazy in any direction. Might feel a bit more firm, still not taking a toll on ride quality.

My car in a MY19 full electric 28kWh

I can really recommend the H&R kit.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Very interesting stuff. Any observed impact to efficiency? Agree that it does look great. :)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I remember that post. I think it was a US member. We have a lot of speed bumps and road crossings with high road crests here.

·
Super Moderator
2,203 Posts
I've already grounded my Ioniq on a few of the more severe speed bumps around here . So I don't think this is one for me ;)

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE Black
105 Posts
I'd love to do this, but we have speed bumps everywhere where I live. Solution = I need to move somewhere else 😂 I don't think it's worth the cost to install adjustable air suspension, if at all possible.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting stuff. Any observed impact to efficiency? Agree that it does look great. :)
Thanks! I don't think the efficiency will sky rocket but looking at youtubers running Teslas in different height settings you could expect 1.5-2% or so.

I'd love to do this, but we have speed bumps everywhere where I live. Solution = I need to move somewhere else 😂
Speed bumps are tricky as they should really be called anti speed bumps. Haha, try to go slower.

No I get it, every place is different, here is fairly good and even though the bumps are some times quite nasty they are not worse then you can get over them at a low speed. They are usually located in a 30kph or 40kph zone where dropping to jogging speed is not a problem.

I was just surprised there were really no pics of a lowered Ioniq on google apart from that land speed record thingy.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Thanks! I don't think the efficiency will sky rocket but looking at youtubers running Teslas in different height settings you could expect 1.5-2% or so.

No I get it, every place is different, here is fairly good and even though the bumps are some times quite nasty they are not worse then you can get over them at a low speed.
Just to be clear, you think lowering the car will cause a drop in efficiency per reading about lowered Teslas? It used to be that lowering cars increased efficiency - less turbulence created on the lumpy/bumpy undercarriage. Now it seems to be a crapshoot and can decrease efficiency.

With some sports cars, and lowered cars, some speed bumps cannot be navigated without some scraping at any speed. Some of them surround neighborhoods in the US and you cannot go around them if you live there.

My Niro has a little bit (very small) increased ground clearance over the Ioniq and so far I've never scraped it - don't usually slow down for speed bumps with no one in my way (following the speed limits of course). That is pretty luxurious and I find it more comfortable than going over them slow. We have a lot of very high clearance vehicles in the US, crazy number, and for some reason, they go super slow over bumps.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It used to be that lowering cars increased efficiency
That's actually why I was wondering, I can't see lowering the car increasing drag; I thought it might have an aerodynamic advantage, albeit a small one.

Additionally, I can't imagine a 30mm (i.e. a rounded inch) drop causing any issues. As the OP correctly stated, the car does look like it rides relatively high up from stock already. The springs will compress to that amount if the car is at full load anyway, which I've done without any issues going over speed bumps.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Try this, blow through a McDonald's straw. Now blow through a narrow straw. At a certain point, restricting flow underneath a car (by lowering it) increases drag. I'm guessing that is what the Tesla comment is about in the earlier post.

One thing that lowering the car improves is it reduces frontal area - the tires have one less inch of exposure to the wind. That is not trivial, you might hold a yardstick out a car window at speed to get an idea of extra drag that much area has (similar to an inch off of tires). But if the drag of air constrained under the car is higher than that, well....

·
Registered
152 Posts
i wish i could get a suspension that adjusts with some button changes like a scooby do cartoon. lower it for photos and smooth roads and then raise it even higher on my ski trips or bad roads

·
Registered
28kWh Premium electric
18 Posts
Why did you go for H&R and not an other brand? I believe the Eibach Pro-kit is a bit softer and that's what I would prefer personally.
Was it just basically lifting the car, take out the old spring (without compressing the old one) and placing the new set?

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why did you go for H&R and not an other brand? I believe the Eibach Pro-kit is a bit softer and that's what I would prefer personally.
Was it just basically lifting the car, take out the old spring (without compressing the old one) and placing the new set?
I've been using H&R before, and with that I found no other guys having done this, so very little to read up on. Also It was a question of availability where I think I found three different kits but only the actual first choice of mine turned out to be available when ordering.

The swap is covered in the first post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Superhero, thanks for the information. I'm located in California, trying to find a vendor that sells and ship to the state side, was wondering where you found your set of H&R springs?

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Superhero, thanks for the information. I'm located in California, trying to find a vendor that sells and ship to the state side, was wondering where you found your set of H&R springs?
If recalling right I googled for best prices incl shipping and taxes, in this case Autodoc was my choice.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just went through AutoDoc, all there was is LESJÖFORS and Eibach, couldn't find the H&R's anymore.
Just Google, I'm sure any of the kits would do the job good. Just I'm used to H&R from before. Good stuff

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks great from the relatively small picture.. I would bet that lowering a little bit (in this case like 20-30mm max) would increase aerodynamic efficiency.. Going lower may go the opposite way though. Any chance you could post a direct side profile of the car please so we can get a better view?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks great! I can't seem to find any H&R Springs here for the Ioniq here in the States... Wonder why they aren't being sold here :/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts