Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Blue sky common sense is not real world. Plus owning a PHEV throws adds another variable that unless you never plug in makes your methodology even less real world in calculating mpg. Glad you think it works. Small distances, variation in engine temperature and outside temperature, differences in charge status, yup, accurate for sure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Blue sky common sense is not real world. Plus owning a PHEV throws adds another variable that unless you never plug in makes your methodology even less real world in calculating mpg. Glad you think it works. Small distances, variation in engine temperature and outside temperature, differences in charge status, yup, accurate for sure.
WOW- let me remind you, its a car, A CAR.
This is not a spaceship and we aren’t solving world hunger with algorithms. You really think what you said will account for OPs issue? Where is your two cents on this matter. So far all I have seen is you complaining about my post. Go back to your basement and do more calculations on how to squeeze another .5 mpg.

OP stated a HUGE difference in MPG, so unless you have anything to say about that, move on.

We are all tired of people like you who all you do is criticize other peoples posts. Forums like this can do WITHOUT bullys like you.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Player 3 entered the game, I don't even understand what you two are squawking about.
Player 1 entered an unscientific methodology for testing mpg over short distances, Player 2 entered a dissent. Pretty simple, and yes, neither directly on topic for the OP. Happens a lot on forums. Thanks for playing!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can I play?
Northern Canada here....
Battery fully charged, commutes less that 40km (25 Miles), No matter what the temp is I don't use ICE, get in EV mode heated seats heated steering wheel drive off, defroster on auto set to MIN.
ICE will not start unless you push the throttle into the "PWR" range as long as you keep in the "ECO" zone your EV will continue to operate. The EV will continue to run up to 130km/hr (80MPH) Max.
There may be an issue with your engine (as I've personally have never got fuel milage that bad) or it could be a combination of factors. The variables are engine, driver, & conditions. Your car is capable of extraordinary fuel milage. Do a Google search for Hypermiling and try some of the techniques described. If your milage continues to be horrific let your dealer know.
Attached is the last screen shot of my dash .4L/100km (588mpg) I had used 8L (2 Gal.) of fuel to travel 1915km (1190 miles). So yes you are getting extremely bad gas milage. My personal goal is to achieve .1L/100km (something like 1000mpg) I've been trying for 9 months this is as close as I've gotten.
Point 4L_100km photo-small.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq Blue HEV Plugin
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So I’ve read what people have been posting and it seems to be like I’ve seen elsewhere that the mpg gauge is a guestimeter. Someone posted that the charge on my car was empty. That’s correct. I wanted to figure out the mpg on fuel only. In other words if I
Don’t charge the car and fill it up with gas. No what will my mpg be? And what will the distance be? If I charge my car every night and only drive 20 miles in theory I would have unlimited mpg which is not an actual calculation. That’s without calculating the cost of electricity etc. If you charge your car every other day or twice a week it throws off the whole calculation so I don’t see how people are getting actual numbers from their car to compare to other people. That being said driving on the highway gave me an MP3 of the high 50s. Once I was in the cityWhere I do most of my driving it started Dropping like crazy. The history for my city trips shows between 21-38mpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
”alnert21212”
One thing you’ve not taken into consideration...once you deplete your battery on your Ioniq your engine automatically will begin to charge your battery decreasing your fuel mileage. I don’t think there is a way to run fuel only, It’s a hybrid electric, the system is integrated and impossible to separate. Highway mileage uses mostly engine power and sucks whatever electric power it can, while city driving maxes the regeneration of electricity decreasing your gas mileage. I guess what I’m saying is, you want to run gas only Ioniq isn’t going to let that happen easily.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
"Gas only" probably means no plug in miles to confuse mpg of "native" hybrid operation. Running in hybrid mode still means energy recovery via regen and HSG operation charging the battery like any other hybrid. I doubt anyone is interested in mpg of engine alone with the motor and battery taken offline.

As far as the OP complaining of low mpg for two mile trips in the winter, obviously that would happen with any car, although owning the PHEV you could fix that with no heat and running only EV (albeit still lower efficiency than summer trips). Not sure what is unresolved in this thread.

·
Registered
41 Posts
At this point I'm going to bow out as anything more I could add may only add to the confusion within.... I think there are "stands" instead of strings of conversations here.

The Hybrid version of the Ioniq has the smallest battery (quickest to regen). The PHEV version will attempt to regen a dead battery at the fastest rate possible. A fair test would be flatten a regular Hybrid and test it against the dead battery of a PHEV, except the PHEV (because of the bigger battery) will still use more energy in the attempt to regen that bigger battery. As both the Hybrid & the PHEV have the same power plant just look to the city fuel milage of the Hybrid to get the answer of what if. Now... my head is spinning....

From here on... this is just my humble opinion:
Plugin the PHEV charge it to the max use it like it was meant to be used....short trips all EV, long trips HEV. Electricity is always cheaper than gas (in Canada).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had an Ioniq mild hybrid, I got an average of 65 mpg. I decided to buy a Plug In Hybrid this time. I can travel 1000 miles on 17 Litres of gas in the summer when its warm. When I take a trip where I can't charge it I can get 75mpg (inc. the initial charge before leaving home). Otherwise I get 65 mpg when I don't have access to a chargepoint at all - so no worse off than the mild hybrid. I haven't reset the onboard computer since I drove away from the dealer and that says I have been getting an average of 140 mpg - but honestly, who knows? To be perfectly honest I find it much more pleasurable driving the car in EV mode but I need the ICU for long trips from time to time - so no choice really. One day when I can afford it (highly unlikely) maybe I'll buy an EV when the guaranteed EV range is much greater than at present.
My biggest worry at present is that the car was one year old this week but all the Hyundai dealers in my area have now closed for the foreseeable future and I can't find out how my warranty will be affected if I don't have it serviced in line with the manufacturer requirements.
I guess I'll have to find a non-franchised VAT registered dealer which means I won't get my next years roadside assistance thrown in.
Stay safe y'all !

·
Super Moderator
1,970 Posts
I had an Ioniq mild hybrid, I got an average of 65 mpg. I decided to buy a Plug In Hybrid this time. I can travel 1000 miles on 17 Litres of gas in the summer when its warm. When I take a trip where I can't charge it I can get 75mpg (inc. the initial charge before leaving home). Otherwise I get 65 mpg when I don't have access to a chargepoint at all - so no worse off than the mild hybrid. I haven't reset the onboard computer since I drove away from the dealer and that says I have been getting an average of 140 mpg - but honestly, who knows? To be perfectly honest I find it much more pleasurable driving the car in EV mode but I need the ICU for long trips from time to time - so no choice really. One day when I can afford it (highly unlikely) maybe I'll buy an EV when the guaranteed EV range is much greater than at present.
My biggest worry at present is that the car was one year old this week but all the Hyundai dealers in my area have now closed for the foreseeable future and I can't find out how my warranty will be affected if I don't have it serviced in line with the manufacturer requirements.
I guess I'll have to find a non-franchised VAT registered dealer which means I won't get my next years roadside assistance thrown in.
Stay safe y'all !
I think it best to try and book your service online and , if no dates are available , log it with Hyundai . I can't see how they could void your warranty under those circumstances .

·
Registered
41 Posts
To be perfectly honest I find it much more pleasurable driving the car in EV mode but I need the ICU for long trips from time to time - so no choice really. One day when I can afford it (highly unlikely) maybe I'll buy an EV when the guaranteed EV range is much greater than at present.
I'm with you too, my "break point" is 400 miles with a recharge or less than 2 hours (the quicker the better, no longer than 2 hours though). As 400 miles is a good stop point for lunch/dinner. Generally 800 miles is a good days drive...(+/- a few 100).
My fuel milage for highway driving has been worse than yours (when I travel my vehicle is fully/overloaded weight wise). I've not done a road trip where I'm light. So my "loaded" road milage ranges 61->46USMPG (74->55IMPMPG) & now I see where we might be getting off track...you are using IMP Gal. & there are Americans here using "their" Gal. & that could be causing misunderstanding...I try & stick with (3.8L/100km-> 5.1L/100km) L/100km because there is only 1 litre (less confusion).
I drove for 7 months (.3L/100km) with the same fuel in my tank, then headed out on the highway (got my worst ever fuel milage (5.1L/100km)) & the engine was completely underpowered. That was 110 octane with fuel stabilizer. It took 2 tanks of fuel on the highway before that crap had cleared & my milage climbed to 3.8L/100km (5.1(575km)->4.6(800km)->3.8(1000km)). I've decided that I'll run my car with an empty tank (yes I know the worst thing you can do) then when I fuel for the next highway trip there will be a tank of "fresh" fuel to use instead of dead fuel. I'm wishing now that there was a bladder inside my tank I could "shrink" my tank size down while I'm using it in "mostly" EV mode (like 2 Gal) switch to highway mode and the full tank is available.....
I wonder in my thoughts....
later all, don't let that mean virus get ya, be healthy

21 - 33 of 33 Posts