Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
With all the issues reported by the Ioniq 38k community, the SantaFe community and now we have seen a first report of an e-Niro having the same coolant issue, I wouldn't play with it and just let them do what they need to.

·
Registered
2023 GV60 Performance
515 Posts
The low conductivity coolant was initially introduced by Hyundai during late 2020 Kona EV production, likely in an attempt to mitigate the ongoing LG pack related fires There were 15 or so worldwide Kona EV battery fires at that point that were ultimately attributed to anode folding defects during manufacture. Fortunately I5s battery packs have since been mostly manufactured by SK. I am not aware of any spontaneous related flame outs with the I5. So whatever they are doing seems to be working. The low conductivity coolant is nice from a safety perspective on the off chance that coolant leaks into the pack but I think a true risk vs benefit analysis would not support using such a expensive coolant vs the relatively very low risk if a coolant related fire.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I get all of that, but still find it odd that out of the 4 e-GMP cars (2 hyundais, one KIA and one Genesis) out there, only the I5 uses it and 2 cooling loops.

If at least if was "all the Hyundais" I would kind of get it (could be corporate reasons, or due the mentionned fires, for public image reasons or whatever), but the I6 only has one:

Gas Personal luxury car Trunk Auto part Luggage and bags

·
Registered
2023 GV60 Performance
515 Posts
I get all of that, but still find it odd that out of the 4 e-GMP cars (2 hyundais, one KIA and one Genesis) out there, only the I5 uses it and 2 cooling loops.

If at least if was "all the Hyundais" I would kind of get it (could be corporate reasons, or due the mentionned fires, for public image reasons or whatever), but the I6 only has one:

View attachment 46739
I suspect the I5 will change to a single coolant loop on its next model redesign but until then and regardless of the obvious extra material costs its probably cheaper for Hyundai to continue with same design, suppliers etc.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts