Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Digital Teal Ioniq 5 SEL AWD
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

Figured i'd start a thread to see what everyone's been getting quoted for Low Conductivity Coolant flushes. I had heard all kinds of numbers, as low as $385, all the way up to $1800 for the service. My local dealer, Hyundai of Turnersville NJ quoted me about $700, with $500-600 of it being labor. They said it requires 1.8 gallons of low conductivity coolant, and that it's rated at 3 hours. This was confusing, since I swore I had read somewhere else it's only rated at 1.5 hours. 3 hours seems pretty damn long for a simple coolant system flush IMO. With this being required every 40k miles, it's definitely a bit of an annoyance, basically equivalent to owning a premium vehicle that requires $87 oil changes every 5k miles. I personally have my doubts about if this is ACTUALLY required, and once out of warranty i'll probably extend the flushes to every 60-80k miles, since it's hard to believe it'd be necessary every year for me.

What have y'all been seeing price wise when it comes to Low Conductivity Coolant flushes?

Registered
1.8gallons seem VERY low. It may be just me. (KONA requires 13L of coolant = 3.5Gal)

I thought the cost was due to the fact:
1. LC Coolant cost being very high at this moment. (It isn't very expensive in Korea so I have to think the cost will come down over time - about $20/2L = about 7 bottles needed = around $140)
2. I believe Hyundai specific diagnostic tool needed to circulate the coolant through the second battery cooling loop - thus not many non-dealers can perform this work = $$$ - Though I am unsure whether this is true - battery cooling loop may be activated during charging cycle so it may be possible to activate this?
3. Battery warranty - coverage may be denied too easily if there is no record of you performing the "routine maintenance" or using "wrong" fluid.

Registered
I asked why service advisor when getting the car and he did not have an exact quote but thought about $1,600. They did not have the special coolant and technical bulletin yet, but expect to in within the next year. He indicated the IO5 is the only vehicle requiring this special type of coolant.

Registered
1.8gallons seem VERY low. It may be just me. (KONA requires 13L of coolant = 3.5Gal)

I thought the cost was due to the fact:
1. LC Coolant cost being very high at this moment. (It isn't very expensive in Korea so I have to think the cost will come down over time - about $20/2L = about 7 bottles needed = around $140)
2. I believe Hyundai specific diagnostic tool needed to circulate the coolant through the second battery cooling loop - thus not many non-dealers can perform this work = $$$ - Though I am unsure whether this is true - battery cooling loop may be activated during charging cycle so it may be possible to activate this?
3. Battery warranty - coverage may be denied too easily if there is no record of you performing the "routine maintenance" or using "wrong" fluid.
I sometimes cheat a bit on maintenance or go to a local shop for things. I'll bite the bullet though on the LC coolant change and get it done as required at a Hyundai dealership. I might shop all four local dealerships and see if one will come in a little lower. Especially since it is expected to cost $1,500 or more.

Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD
My understanding is that there is AC coolant (cheap) and low conductivity battery coolant (expensive). I鈥檓 pretty sure Hyundai is being super cautious with the battery coolant because of previous thermal runaway fires associated with their EVs - the Kona in particular. At one stage there was an estimate it would cost over 900 million USD to rectify the Kona problem alone, and I guess they don鈥檛 want to face that again. GM had same fire issues of course.

So I suspect the recommended mileage interval is super cautious, and the cars would be in little danger if the distance was exceeded, BUT I鈥檓 sure it would be cause to not honour the warranty if you skipped it.

Registered
2023 GV60 Performance
Hey All!

Figured i'd start a thread to see what everyone's been getting quoted for Low Conductivity Coolant flushes. I had heard all kinds of numbers, as low as $385, all the way up to $1800 for the service. My local dealer, Hyundai of Turnersville NJ quoted me about $700, with $500-600 of it being labor. They said it requires 1.8 gallons of low conductivity coolant, and that it's rated at 3 hours. This was confusing, since I swore I had read somewhere else it's only rated at 1.5 hours. 3 hours seems pretty damn long for a simple coolant system flush IMO. With this being required every 40k miles, it's definitely a bit of an annoyance, basically equivalent to owning a premium vehicle that requires $87 oil changes every 5k miles. I personally have my doubts about if this is ACTUALLY required, and once out of warranty i'll probably extend the flushes to every 60-80k miles, since it's hard to believe it'd be necessary every year for me.

What have y'all been seeing price wise when it comes to Low Conductivity Coolant flushes?
Ioniq 5 uses 2 coolant loops. A electric device and motor loop that uses conventional (Pink -ethylene glycol HOAT) coolant, 6.4 liters for 2WD and 6.8 liters for 4WD
The battery coolant loop uses 11.6 liters(2WD) or 11.9 liters(AWD) of the Blue low conductive coolant respectively. The blue juice comes in 2 liter jugs that retail from $40-70 a jug from US online retailers.

Registered
Hey All!

the more this is done the less expensive it will become

Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
The same blue expensive coolant is used in the Ioniq 38, again a 4 year change. But I wonder if H are going to have to change it to something else? See this thread! Coolant Warning

Registered
2023 Hyundai IONIQ 5 SEL AWD (Gravity Gold)
Has anyone seen under the HI6 hood yet to see if it, too, uses 2 loops or is simplified like the EV6 and GV60?

It would be kind of a bummer if literally none of the other E-GMP stablemates, even another H, had the same setup. Imagine it would make it more difficult to find service personnel in 5-10 years that were familiar with the process. Especially if this was a sign that H would abandon the 2-loop setup in the HI5 too in MY24 or something.

Registered
Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Trunk

Has anyone seen under the HI6 hood yet to see if it, too, uses 2 loops or is simplified like the EV6 and GV60?

It would be kind of a bummer if literally none of the other E-GMP stablemates, even another H, had the same setup. Imagine it would make it more difficult to find service personnel in 5-10 years that were familiar with the process. Especially if this was a sign that H would abandon the 2-loop setup in the HI5 too in MY24 or something.
Hmmmm鈥 just found this image

We may come to discover in a few years that us 22-23 HI5 owners have a very rare coolant setup indeed

Registered
Wait the EV6 has a single loop?

I wonder what would warrant such a change, if they figured out that a single loop works best, they would most likely implement it on 2023 models, wouldn't they ?

Registered

I wonder what would warrant such a change, if they figured out that a single loop works best, they would most likely implement it on 2023 models, wouldn't they ?
Not necessarily, a change like this could wait until they had a set of substantial updates to implement, after the investment in the current setup has been amortized over a few model years of production and they鈥檝e used any backlog of materials. The expense to update the plant/assembly lines, train workers, is not trivial.

The I6 is being produced in a different plant altogether.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

From a performance perspective, I actually prefer the two separate loops, one for the battery, the other for the motors and other items. I feel it may have a higher thermal capacity leading to less power throttling when hot. I've driven my car VERY hard, and it didn't show a single sign of limiting power, which is nice.

Registered
From a performance perspective, I actually prefer the two separate loops, one for the battery, the other for the motors and other items. I feel it may have a higher thermal capacity leading to less power throttling when hot. I've driven my car VERY hard, and it didn't show a single sign of limiting power, which is nice.
Agree, it could also theoretically increase the speed at which the battery/cabin are heated or cooled. Could be a classic example of over-engineering, which could result in a more robust system. But I just hope this doesn鈥檛 result in the trade off of being substantially more difficult or expensive to service a few years down the road鈥

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agree, it could also theoretically increase the speed at which the battery/cabin are heated or cooled. Could be a classic example of over-engineering, which could result in a more robust system. But I just hope this doesn鈥檛 result in the trade off of being substantially more difficult or expensive to service a few years down the road鈥
For sure. $700 seems reasonable vs the $1600+ other people have been quoted, that just seems absurd. I'll probably do the flushes at the recommended 40k and 80k miles to maintain warranty, but once it expires i'll probably switch to every 60k or 80k.

Registered

Bjorn made a video of the HI5 getting too hot and charging slowly:
he then released another video where he explains that in order to avoid the issue,you need to turn off HVAC.

Which seems weird to me, if we have two loops, why would the HVAC impact the battery?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bjorn made a video of the HI5 getting too hot and charging slowly:
he then released another video where he explains that in order to avoid the issue,you need to turn off HVAC.

Which seems weird to me, if we have two loops, why would the HVAC impact the battery?
Definitely agreed. Interestingly though, i've only ever had mine overheat once, and it was basically my fault. Started DCFC, but realized I needed to run somewhere before they closed so I disconnected after about 10 minutes, drove there, then plugged back in about 20 minutes later. Since the battery was essentially at max temp and it was a 90 degree day, the car throttled speeds to about 120kw on the next charging session.

Registered
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD Digital Teal w/ Green/Gray 2 tone interior
Wonder if you could get away with siphoning out the reservoir and just refilling to full/max level? Does it absolutely have to be flushed?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts