Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking for time vs charge for a Hyundai Ioniq EV using a fast DC charger. In a perfect test, park at a high-power, fast DC charger with a minimum charge in the battery. Configure a video recorder in "time lapse" mode to monitor the charging, preferably the battery level, during a full charge. If it can include the charge rate, perfect.

A Tesla Model 3 owner, I developed a model to maximize block-to-block speed and moderate the charging cost for long distance trips. But the math model requires knowing the fast DC charging profile . . . one limited by the car, not the charger. Sad to say, our 'free' downtown CCS charger is limited to 40kW which distorts the model.

To illustrate what I'm after, here are my Model 3 metrics and model:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/munro-day-session-on-evs.13170/#post-241274

On a practical sense, I can parameterize the model to reflect power limited, fast DC chargers ... if that is a problem. I know my BMW i3-REx is fast DC charge limited to 40-50kW which really puts a sock in long distance EV driving. The REx solves that problem.

Bob Wilson

ps. My trip report to the Munro & Associates EV conference:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/munro-day-session-on-evs.13170/#post-241241

·
Registered
57 Posts
To be clear, that 50 kW profile is on a 125A charger ;) ... some are only 120A
I am not that fond of the 'kW'-rating for chargers, as more often than not the limitation is on the current... that may make it more confusing for the 'general public', I mean those without electrical background (as in at least understanding the basics).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks but I really need the X-axis to be the time for my model. The Y-axis is flexible, kW or SOC% or in perfect world, both.

Time is what keeps the charging profile on the same scale as the travel time and distance covered. By adding the charging and travel time between chargers divided into the distance, we get the miles per hour, block-to-block time.

Bob Wilson

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PS. A Better Route Planner (ABRP) is a great trip planning tool you should look at.

A Better Route Planner
I'm fond of PlugShare and get reproducible results ONLY because I know the true charge time to reach the next SuperCharger. I also like the user feedback from charging sessions.

Regardless, I'll run a head-to-head comparison of my recent trips to the Munro & Associates EV Conference.

Bob Wilson

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has been a year so I'm wondering if the Hyundai Ioniq EV has increased the DC fast charging rate?

I'm discussing options including the Hyundai Ioniq: Rav4 Prime vs Tesla?

Bob Wilson

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
No, unfortunately not.
For the 2020 upgrade to a 38.3 kWh battery, the maximal DC charging speed is even a bit lower.

Below you can see an estimated graph for a 50 kW DC charger for the charging power levels of a 28 kWh and 38 kWh Ioniq EV against the kWh charged (the line starting at 46 kW is for the 28 kWh Ioniq and the other line for the 38 kWh Ioniq).

For a DC charger of 100 kW or more, the line for the 28 kWh Ioniq will start between 65 and 70 kW, whereas the one for the 38 kWh Ioniq is almost the same as below.

Reactions: bwilson4web

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. I've always admired efficient cars but EVs need a fast DC charge for cross-country travel. For example, there was significant improvement in block-to-block time when my 2019 Std Rng Plus Model 3 went from a peak rate of ~104 kW to ~170 kW.

As a practical tip, I've found staying at Models with free breakfast and overnight charging works great. You start the next day with the maximum range. Thereafter take segments with just enough charge and a reserve to reach the next charger. If you're faced with a segment too far, try to stay at a model with free overnight charging.

Bob Wilson

1 - 9 of 9 Posts