Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every day I look at the Forum to see if there are any new post. Usually, there are 3 or maybe 4. And while I enjoy reading the views of the 10 or 12 that post comments, it will be great when we have hundreds or even thousands of members.

I also routinely review the Prius Forum. There are hundreds of post each day.
I had made a comment 2-3 days ago. I was curious what comments others had to my post. I had to scroll back 4 pages to find the thread .... it had been commented on a number of times, and the last was just yesterday...... yet it was shown 4 pages back.

Hopefully, when the Ioniq starts selling in the US, there will be more interest, and buyers will join the Forum. I appreciate all of the post from you that live outside of the US .... but what do we have, 2 members that actually own the new Ioniq?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the post, Stirfelt.

Speaking of Prii, I just rented a 2016 Prius Two from Avis for the month of October to use on a cross-country road trip, and put about 4,500 miles on it. I must say that I eventually got used to the exterior styling (mostly), and I even came to accept the offset speedometer and other instrument displays that I thought at first would really bother me. It was great for cruising on highways at up to 75 mph, handled fairly well on twisty back roads and its trunk accommodated everything we wanted to put into it. But it stirred no interest in me to buy one, even though a new Prius was originally a strong contender to replace my '04 Prius before I learned about the Ioniq. It's an appliance, nothing more, and the newest version perhaps even more so than the older ones. Plus there's that stop-sale order...

The Ioniq, on the other hand, DOES stir my interest and even, dare I say, my passion. My impatience for it to go on sale in the U.S. increases every day, as does my frustration with Hyundai's continuing lack of commitment to a firm release date, and the seeming indifference of the local dealers that I keep pestering, to no avail, for information.

I won't consider buying an Ioniq without having taken one for a test drive. In fact, I'll even take the electric version out for a spin if that one is the first to arrive, and then extrapolate that experience to the Hybrid in which I'm interested. But it would have to have a HUGE fatal flaw for me not to order a Premium SE Hybrid in Phoenix Orange with 17-inch wheels as soon as they hit the ground in the U.S.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Right, I know.

Having a CVT in my old Prius, and with my three other cars having manual gearboxes (one five-speed, two six-speeds), I don't expect to have an issue with the Ioniq Hybrid's transmission.

I'll be more interested in how it rides and handles, which, again, may be slightly different between the EV and the Hybrid, but probably not drastically so. I'm also very interested in the driving position, the tech (especially the nav system), the size and configuration of the trunk (for car-camping) and overall how it looks in the flesh.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
the nav system is a standard TomTom one, but a nice big 8" touch screen which is quite responsive and feature rich, in the UK you have 7 year maps, safety camera and traffic updates, not sure if that will be the same your side of the pond

the main differences you are looking at between the hybrid and EV is the boot and rear suspension

due to the larger battery, the EV has rear beam suspension and about 100 litres less boot room, also about 100kg heavier as well

·
Registered
251 Posts
The Ioniq nav system is apparently similar to the one in my 2014 Ford Focus ST in that it uses an SD card, which makes updating a breeze--if one wants to drop $100+ or so every year for a new card. I did that once, but probably won't do it again, mainly because I just use the car around town on roads that I'm familiar with. I've lived in the same place for so long that I know virtually every road within a 50-mile radius, and multiple ways of getting from Point A to Point B without needing a nav system.

We never use the ST for long road trips because its suspension is so tight and harsh that it tends to puree the driver and passenger in short order on rough roads. However, I expect to use a new Ioniq for MANY road trips, so a capable, integrated nav system is a necessity.

Currently, for road trips, I use a windshield-mounted Garmin unit that I really like. It has lifetime free map updates and real-time traffic status, although no dashcam. Some of the newer Garmins do incorporate dashcams, I believe.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great to see bluecar1 and sundayt offer comments. As I originally said, I look forward to the day when there are more members on the forum. Everyone has such great comments and insight.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
one thing I noted about the satnag was unlike others I have used the safety camera and live traffic used your phone as a wireless hotspot, not like most where you have to mess about swapping data sharing to bluetooth, then back again when finished drive, so a much better system

:)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the Ioniq Hybrid turns out to be everything I expect it to be, you won't be able to shut me up...
Good to hear.
One quick side note that pertains to expectations ...... and concerns.
I have previously written a concern about the belt driven starter/generator on the Ioniq. I was assured there was nothing to worry about.

The other day I was reading about the new family of engines from Mercedes. The modular family will include 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines ..... perhaps some of you read about them too. Anyway, they include a belt driven starter/generator. The article I ready went on and on about the virtues of such as set-up.
Consequently, I feel a little better about the belt driven appliance.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks, Norwegian.

I'll have to think about it a bit.

I always tend to go for the biggest factory-option wheels I can get when I buy a car, while fully realizing that they do affect ride quality and other aspects of the driving experience.

In the backwater, red-neck automotive market where I live (in which most car dealers have massive pickup trucks and huge SUVs lined up on their lots like cordwood while nary an eco-car is to be found), I sincerely doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to test-drive Ioniqs with both wheel sizes in order to compare them. I'll probably have to make an open-loop decision on which wheels to choose just based on photos and on-line reviews.

Thanks again for the insight.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've always assumed the larger wheels may be better... Didn't know it would affect acceleration, fuel economy and increase cabin noise. May as well go stock then.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
stock wheels with fatter tyres give you

better economy / lower nasty emmissions
better ride as the fatter tyres absorb roughness in roads better
cheaper tyres

larger wheels with lower profile tyres give you

better cornering / road holding as the side walls of the tyres are stiffer
better looking wheels
more expensive tyres

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's the energy required to spin the unsprung weight that drives the fuel economy down. Even if you manage to find a set of 17" rims and tires that weight the same as a set of 15" rims and tires, the mass of the 17" rims is 1 inch further from the center of the rim than 15" rims. That alone requires more energy to spin even if both sets are of the same weight.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I thought aluminum is lighter than rubber and that the wheel/tire combination that accelerates fastest and easiest is the low profile combo (in the same width). The 17s are wider, though, on the Ioniq which means higher rolling resistance (but also better cornering grip and shorter stopping distance) and higher wind resistance. I'd rather have the 15s but I know I'll have to take the 17s with the driver aids that I want.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Aluminum may be lighter than rubber but it's not lighter air where the extra inch of diameter would have taken place. lower profile doesn't necessary accelerate faster. If you look at all the drag cars and race cars, none of them are running low profile tires, only the street legal ones are. Even Brooke at drag times did his P100DL world record 1/4 mile run with stock 19s. The only way a larger rim can out accelerate a smaller size rim is the larger rim has lower rotational weight than the smaller rim.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm sure I prefer 15" wheels, with better acceleration and fuel consumption, even if here in Spain they are available only with the cheaper trim level.

It's not a sport car and in my opinion you don't need a 225 wide wheel.

Official fuel consumption is 3,4l/100km with 15" and 3,9l with 17"; official 0-60 acceleration is 10,8s with 15" and 11,1s with 17".

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
0-60mph in 10-13 seconds I quite acceptable to most, only the motoring journalists seem to expect all cars to perform like a sport car, regardless of what they have been designed for (eco, family, sports, city)

I don't need to be able to break the motorway speed limit in less than ten seconds, so long as I can reach speed an cruise comfortably, and if I need to overtake do I safely

1 - 20 of 21 Posts