Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me resale value of a car is important. For example, Toyotas hole their resale value really well and are always in demand in second hand market.

You want your car to hold its value should you need to sell or trade in the future.

I have found Hyundai products to not hold their value as well.

Should we expect the same out of Ioniq 5? Especially once the car availability across all sectors normalizes.

I wonder how much of an impact name brad will have on its resale value and if Ioniq 5 can overcome that.

PS. I am especially concerned about this because I am on the fence between Tesla and Ioniq 5 and Teslas hold their resale values really well.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Should we expect the same out of Ioniq 5? Especially once the car availability across all sectors normalizes.

I wonder how much of an impact name brad will have on its resale value and if Ionic 5 can overcome that.

PS. I am especially concerned about this because I am on the fence between Tesla and Ioniq 5 and Teslas hold their resale values really well.
As they say "past performance is not indicative of future results". That said I would be surprised if Ioniq 5 would perform any better than any other current Hyundai EV. If residual is a major decision factor for you, your probably best served with a Tesla.

·
Registered
112 Posts
EVs have traditionally depreciated 50% over three years (except Teslas) so picking an EV and hoping resale values are good is a bit too optimistic.

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ 5 Limited Atlas White
62 Posts
It's hard to say. I think with all of the latest releases from Hyundai: the Santa Cruz, this Ioniq, plus the new cars on the way and EV pure play they're actually going for (instead of other manufacturers just saying they are), its fair to say their brand value is going up, which will help a bit with resale. But long term reliability, the ability to dodge recall scandals, big unknowns there.

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ 5 Limited Digital Teal Green
553 Posts
It's hard to say. I think with all of the latest releases from Hyundai: the Santa Cruz, this Ioniq, plus the new cars on the way and EV pure play they're actually going for (instead of other manufacturers just saying they are), its fair to say their brand value is going up, which will help a bit with resale. But long term reliability, the ability to dodge recall scandals, big unknowns there.
Tesla is under NHTSA investigation. Scandal and recalls happen with complicated tech. Hyundai sells nice technology at a competitive price. But the competitive price comes with the caveat that reliability may not be as good as a more expensive vehicle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you’re not going to use the Ioniq 5 specific features and are trying to buy with your head and not your heart, then Tesla is a better bet.

In most cases buying a vehicle in the current market, new or used, is a bad idea unless you really need one. People are buying things over MSRP like this bubble will never end, history shows it always bursts eventually. If you’re planning long term ownership, 5-10 years, it’s easier to make the numbers work though.

·
Registered
Hyundai 2021 Hybrid 1st Edition in Iron Grey
94 Posts
Interesting comments and fears re reliability...Here in the UK Hyundai have built themselves an enviable reputation for reliability, up there with Honda and Toyota. Widely regarded as bombproof.
Many surveys show Hyundai, as a brand, to be well thought of and up there with the best.

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Project 45 AWD Ultimate 73 Kw
121 Posts
Interesting comments and fears re reliability...Here in the UK Hyundai have built themselves an enviable reputation for reliability, up there with Honda and Toyota. Widely regarded as bombproof.
Many surveys show Hyundai, as a brand, to be well thought of and up there with the best.
I agree.
Within the last three model cycles Hyundai and KIA have had somewhat of a renaissance, particularly after some high profile engineering and design hires to the firms from the likes of BMW , AUDI and Porsche. And this has definitely raised the bar, and caught many consumers and competitors by surprise.
Also whilst Toyota and Honda may have been first to market with their hybrids and Nissan notched line honors with an affordable BEV with the Leaf, it's really been Hyundai as an established legacy auto manufacturer that has really stuck its head out and brought frankly exceptional engineering (that you might have expected from the likes of Tesla and Porsche) to the mid market. It's a huge risk, and I think they deserve kudos for that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cars are rarely a good investment. You buy them for their utility and to a degree how they make you feel.
I am not thinking in terms of investment.

I am thinking in terms of resale value should the need arise to sell/upgrade later.

While they will all depreciate, most anyone would want the least depreciation possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I beg to differ.

I had a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. A large number of Sonatas including mine had engine failures. Like literally dead engine within the first 30-50k miles.

This problem was spread across several years. Hyundai was refusing to accept that there was a problem with their engine manufacturing processes. They even tried to weasel out of warranty repair/replacement of engine unless you could provide paperwork of fully scheduled maintenance work.

They changed their tune after looking down multiple lawsuits.

Two things to note here:

1) They had a major issue. Engine failure and full replacement is as serious as it gets.

2) Until they were threatened by the lawsuits, they tried to weasel out of warranty

I eventually sold my Sonata after engine replacement and was downright disgusted by the resale value of a car with low mileage. A Camry with similar mileage was going for thousands more.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I beg to differ.

I had a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. A large number of Sonatas including mine had engine failures. Like literally dead engine within the first 30-50k miles.

This problem was spread across several years. Hyundai was refusing to accept that there was a problem with their engine manufacturing processes. They even tried to weasel out of warranty repair/replacement of engine unless you could provide paperwork of fully scheduled maintenance work.

They changed their tune after looking down multiple lawsuits.

Two things to note here:

1) They had a major issue. Engine failure and full replacement is as serious as it gets.

2) Until they were threatened by the lawsuits, they tried to weasel out of warranty

I eventually sold my Sonata after engine replacement and was downright disgusted by the resale value of a car with low mileage. A Camry with similar mileage was going for thousands more.
I`m sorry for your troubles but that was 8 years ago and on a model never introduced to the UK. I can only speak for the UK market. I`m on my 3rd Hyundai and 2nd Hybrid. The first I kept a mere 9 months and traded it in for a nearly new ex demo, because due to the shortage of new cars mine had gone up in value a few thousand Pounds in that short time. No brainer to change.Although on a PCP Hyundai were more than happy to facilitate the change. So far so good as far as I`m concerned with Hyundai.

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
731 Posts
So far so good as far as I`m concerned with Hyundai.
In the UK, both Kia & Hyundai are pretty highly regarded when it comes to reliability & owner satisfaction.
Looking at the 2021 JDPower survey of top rated UK cars, its Hyundai & Kia in the top 2 places
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

No surprise that my previous Range Rover didn't make it in to the top 75 :eek:

·
Registered
94 Posts
In the UK, both Kia & Hyundai are pretty highly regarded when it comes to reliability & owner satisfaction.
Looking at the 2021 JDPower survey of top rated UK cars, its Hyundai & Kia in the top 2 places
View attachment 38015
No surprise that my previous Range Rover didn't make it in to the top 75 :eek:
The Hyundai Ioniq has won Honest John for the highest on the satisfaction index, twice in a row. The latest puts reliability 9.93 out of 10 which is the highest of any of them.

·
Registered
72 Posts

I wonder how much of an impact name brad will have on its resale value and if Ioniq 5 can overcome that.

I agree with you with your comment (For America)
I didn't had the confirmation from others buyer, but I saw at dealer an expected value near 16k Cnd$ after 5 years.
This didn't stop me, since this car have for Canadian full government rebate and Québec province rebate compared to Tesla. (Then cost less compared too).
This said, personal opinion the resell value will depend too on how well Hyundai will treat there customer with this new brandind of Ioniq series. (I think about the new method of Tesla to give OTA update for example). Then I mean if customer happy, great resell value, if not, then.... The future will tell with this new branding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with you with your comment (For America)
I didn't had the confirmation from others buyer, but I saw at dealer an expected value near 16k Cnd$ after 5 years.
This didn't stop me, since this car have for Canadian full government rebate and Québec province rebate compared to Tesla. (Then cost less compared too).
This said, personal opinion the resell value will depend too on how well Hyundai will treat there customer with this new brandind of Ioniq series. (I think about the new method of Tesla to give OTA update for example). Then I mean if customer happy, great resell value, if not, then.... The future will tell with this new branding.
following this thread a few comments from a slightly different perspective on resale value regarding Ioniq 5 - agree 100% on Kia Hyundai have outstanding performance over the last 5 years in independent highly regarded reliability data sources - a trend that is continuing . Tesla have historically held high resale values mainly due to supply and demand and very few viable executive EV alternatives - no longer true if you consider all the new entrants in the last 18 months . The other very important factor is many countries are refusing new ICE to be purchased after certain dates but offering incentives for consumers to move to EV - and therefore a strong growth in second hand market possibly helping a high residual value for many EV types - not just Tesla . longer warranties on Hyundai and Kia may also help here .

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
731 Posts
The I5 & EV6 are both going to have something of a rarity factor around their sales, with only 75,000 of each planned globally.
Compare this to the just announced 900,000 annual sales of Tesla 3/Y

·
Registered
72 Posts
The I5 & EV6 are both going to have something of a rarity factor around their sales, with only 75,000 of each planned globally.
Compare this to the just announced 900,000 annual sales of Tesla 3/Y
I agree with you a rarity for now of I5 and EV6 and about the vacuum for not a lot car that customer want now in electric vehicle. (For America) right now want VUS, not economic little car as they offered. Since a lot of competition coming but I expect them to be the same level as Hyundai (Old method to sell car and forget them until security issue is there.) I expect them to be always retain less value compared to Tesla.
Here in America, Hyundai got many trouble if I remember correctly! (Not real advertised fuel consumption for Ice vehicle). Serious iced engine trouble (That needed to replace motor). And now I ear alot about the new Hyundai Kona battery trouble that fear people with fire with Hyundai not reliable battery (LG Battery). But on this one, Hyundai is not alone (Gm too with it's bolt (and LG battery) and production is still at halt I think now because of this? ) But this give bad reputation of electric vehicle coming from those manufacturers (Than I estimate less retain value). Tesla had trouble too, but giving the number they sell, it's a low percentage I think. Then good reputation and then good value.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts