Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any expirience with leaving their I5 (or other EVs) idle for prolonged periods i.e. 2 weeks and its impact on the battery drain; we typically use meet and greet services at Heathrow or Gatwick; looking at the usual providers I don't see them, noticeably, advertising charging services as part of the parking and I am concerned that when you come back the battery is going to be really low.

I have seen people dropping off Teslas in the past so wonder if charging is something you just need to ask them to do or its not really an issue as the batteries can hold their charge well enough.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you - we're flying from Gatwick next July which is 180 miles from home. That means leaving the car with probably 70 miles of range for two weeks to come back to what? I'm already not looking forward to the return journey which is bad enough after an overnight flight without having to fart about with recharging on the way.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just charge it before leaving, and leave it with a full battery, well perhaps 90-95% is better than 100%.
The battery drain is very little, I doubt you will lose more than 10% over 2 weeks.
That might be a shout - I'll see where the nearest rapid charger is to the airport. I expect I'd still need to recharge on the way back, but not for as long.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
201 Posts
If you have the solar roof you will likely not lose anything at all. Unless it snows or you park it in the shade.

4% per week with the 72 kWh battery is roughly 0.4 kWh per day of battery drain.
The solar panel at peak efficiency produces 0.2 kWh. Even if you have say 50% efficiency, and you have sunlight for just 8 hours, that's already 2x more than the drain is, so it would actually be charging the battery a miniscule amount.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you - we're flying from Gatwick next July which is 180 miles from home. That means leaving the car with probably 70 miles of range for two weeks to come back to what? I'm already not looking forward to the return journey which is bad enough after an overnight flight without having to fart about with recharging on the way.
I'm pretty sure there's some parking companies that offer charging now, ideal for situations like yours where you actually need the charge to get home afterwards as opposed to simply being worried about it draining.

Found this one on google who do it for a flat £15 fee.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's some parking companies that offer charging now, ideal for situations like yours where you actually need the charge to get home afterwards as opposed to simply being worried about it draining.

Found this one on google who do it for a flat £15 fee.

That sounds perfect - thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info all very helpful!

I have a ~70 mile journey around the M25 +M4 from Essex to Heathrow T3 - annoyingly there arent any Ionity chargers north side of the M25 for a pit stop; can always take the longer route south and stop off at Cobham Services Ionity to top up for peace of mind.

Odd that Heathrow has so few chargers around that area compared to Gatwich and the ones they do have are only 7kw - Guess these things will improve over time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks for the info all very helpful!

I have a ~70 mile journey around the M25 +M4 from Essex to Heathrow T3 - annoyingly there arent any Ionity chargers north side of the M25 for a pit stop; can always take the longer route south and stop off at Cobham Services Ionity to top up for peace of mind.

Odd that Heathrow has so few chargers around that area compared to Gatwich and the ones they do have are only 7kw - Guess these things will improve over time.
Also, even if your car is low on battery, you don't really need an IONITY charger to complete the 70 mile journey back.... just something to boost you a few miles so that you can get home.

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD
470 Posts
Batteries charged at 100% will suffer a much higher loss than those charged at 50% when left unused. Over a couple of weeks there is little cause for alarm however. Best way to preserve a battery is to keep it away from very hot or very cold conditions if leaving it parked. So parking in a sheltered part of airport would be best. Can get complicated though, so suggest you read this.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I'd be more concerned about the 12 volt battery than the main one. If long parking is going to be routine, you can eliminate losses in both (and damage to the 12 volt battery) by installing a switch on your 12 volt battery ground - readily available from RV dealers and I'm sure online. RVs have some of the same issues as EVs that are not used daily so such switches are common in their world to protect their 12 volt battery from damage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not an ioniq 5 (yet😄), but I leave a bmw i3 at an airport for 3 weeks twice a year with no noticeable loss of charge. Mind you BMW do reckon they have the best battery management. Be interesting to see how ioniq 5 compares when I get it next year. Dont anticipate any problems whatso ever though.

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD
470 Posts
Sorry, but I'm getting lost on this "battery saver" terminology, What are we talking about here - a physical switch to disengage the 12v battery, or some other device?
In the Kona (which I presume is same as Ioniq) software regularly checks the 12V battery & tops up as necessary from the traction battery. There were some flat 12V battery problems with early Konas.

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
468 Posts
Yes I realise that, (don't all EVs have that?), but the way people have phrased it - "Is there an aux battery saver in the ioniq 5? " led to believe they were talking about a specific device that protects against drainage in some way
:unsure:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts