Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyundai is going to be stepping up the range of the Ioniq EV as they say 110 miles is not enough. Currntly they're offering a 28kWh lithium-ion polymer battery made by LG but it needs to be more. They're estimated that they are planning to extend that to more than 200 miles of range by 2018 to combat the Chevy Bolt and Tesla Model 3

·
Registered
359 Posts
What they should also mention is how fast charging is since that is another important thing. The ability to charge up while running errands at places that have chargers or just being able to have charging fast enough that your not waiting for it to finish JUST so you have enough power. Not making it an inconvenience is key.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What they should also mention is how fast charging is since that is another important thing. The ability to charge up while running errands at places that have chargers or just being able to have charging fast enough that your not waiting for it to finish JUST so you have enough power. Not making it an inconvenience is key.
That definitely is a key thing for people. Give them the time it takes to get a full charge on both 110 and 220. It'll probably be something around 2 hours fast charging ?

you appear to get the same notifications I do :)
I think so ! You know we're eager when we get notifications whenever the Ioniq is mentioned ;);)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have a EV and my range is in the real live at 5 degrees Celsius between 175 and 185 km guaranteed with highway speeds of 130 km.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I got the HEV because of the current lack of range of th EV. I think for me to get an EV it would need to be able to achieve 250 mile range which should cover most of my journeys without a stop.

I know you can charge at services but that would just add time onto journey and 250 miles is about as much as I could do without a stop.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hyundai is going to be stepping up the range of the Ioniq EV as they say 110 miles is not enough. Currntly they're offering a 28kWh lithium-ion polymer battery made by LG but it needs to be more...
The Ioniq BEV's range is what it is for a couple of reasons:

1. There's a massive subsidy in Korea (equal to $18000) for a BEV that can charge in a certain amount of time (20 minutes, I think). This subsidy qualifies the Ioniq and disqualifies their competition--namely Tesla.
2. Hyundai went for efficiency rather than range. Nothing will go further on the same amount of charge. That means less cost/mile than any other BEV and less wait/mile than any other BEV if you're waiting to charge. A larger battery means more weight and less efficiency so whether it "needs to be more" depends on your needs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm looking for a car that can replace my actually 20 years old ICE car (a BMW 528i E39 with over 400'000 km). I already wrote that I had got a EV car 18 years ago. I made some experiences with the Peugeot 106 EV car (stop for charging and plan my route - 60-80 km range) and now I don't want to redo the same with a 2017 EV IONIQ!

My daily use allows to switch to a fully electric car if the car can reach at least 230-250 km in the worst case in winter (it means it should have a battery about 1.5 time bigger). Actually the SUPER efficient IONIQ EV has got a 28 kWh battery, but for my use this one should be at least 40-42 kWh.
The other thing ist how fast one can charge a 40 kWh battery: in Switzerland we have some 50 kW DCC charging points. It means that in less than 30' charging time you can add about 100 km and/or in 1 hour 200 km range... not bad if you should charge during your trip! At home we have three-phase electric plugs, too, so it should be a good point if the charger can use the three-phase systems! Actually the IONIQ charger use one-phase system only.

The actually 28 kWh battery IONIQ can't allow me in the winter to travel without a pit-stop (I have a 210 km road -one way- between my two living places). Every week I travel twice this road and I don't want to make pit-stop at every trip! Once in the month I have another long trip to do in one day (about 550 km) and this is not possible in one day with a 160-180 km range only. A bigger battery allows to do it with 2 charges; it's not perfect, but I can do it. The first trip is 220 km to reach the first DCC charger that make sense (the very first one is in 170 km). After charging (80%) I can travel the next 160 km and charge again (80%), in order to come back home (170 km). Making 2 pit-stops is not too bad.

For these reasons I was thinking about a plug-in hybrid, but I don't really want buy another ICE car... and I don't want to have a dual clutch gearbox. The PHEV is a great idea, but very inefficient: you have to travel a lot of kg with you that you don't really need during your trips (ICE if you travel in EV mode and battery if you travel in ICE mode). I want switch to a fully electric car, but it should be able to reach my long-trip destinations, too! If I must keep my old car to do it, the EV car become a second car and this isn't my goal. Actually I can't adopt the 2017 IONIQ electric, but I know that an electric car can do very well what I need (actually Tesla and/or ampera-e can do it). I have not enough money to buy a Tesla, but I'll try the ampera-e even if I don't like the design nor the efficiency of the opel... the IONIQ in my opinion is a very good car!

I hope that the 2018 IONIQ electric comes with a 40 kWh battery and a one-phase and three-phase charger!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts