Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
few weeks ago at my first car wash I put the fob on the bottom of the center console / arm rest and got out to dry my car after washing with a self serve pressure washer. and the doors locked!!!

(and my phone was inside, so no help from BlueLink, or a friend or uber to get home to my spare)

and a couple times I've gotten key not in car (when it was) . Got the car march 31st, so six weeks in, 1200+ miles...

also twice it prompted me to press my key fob against the 'Start' button....

It dose have that crappy dealer installed alarm (KARR)

week fob? week sensors picking up the Fob? granted when it's on the lower part of the arm rest it's far away from the sensors, that I'm guessing are in the front doors...

So never leave the car without the phone and or the Fob!!!!

any ideas?
SE model

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
604 Posts
Pull that KARR system out, it's crap. That is why the doors locked with the fob inside. Someone a few months ago wrote the exact thing, looked her out twice and she had the KARR system. It is possible to configure the KARR to not auto lock, but I suggest you still take it out. It's a worthless security system.

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
844 Posts
I remember the thread nXt is talking about, there were many comments from all over the world absolutely aghast as to why anyone would fit an aftermarket alarm to a car that already has one from the factory and expressing our surprise that American car buyers allow it to happen.

The consensus was that the thing should be taken out at the dealer’s expense and any parts that had been cut, drilled or tampered with in any way replaced, again at the dealer’s cost.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Generally, cars with kyeless entry have sensors that won't allow the car to be locked from outside while the fob is inside the car (using the same sensors that alert you when the fob is removed from the car while the engine is running).

I am assuming that the IONIQ 5 has the same feature, so if the after-market security system bypasses it, then the alarm system is badly designed.

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
981 Posts
... so if the after-market security system bypasses it, then the alarm system is badly designed.
Surely you're not saying that the I5's alarm system is badly designed because an unofficial aftermarket system has been wired into its circuits and is now causing problems.
No security system will remain secure if its sensor wires are cut into.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all, yea I agree the KARR is crap that I did not want, and did not know was in there until I was signing the papers. I'll have a ~frank talk with the dealer when I go in for first service.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Surely you're not saying that the I5's alarm system is badly designed because an unofficial aftermarket system has been wired into its circuits and is now causing problems.
No security system will remain secure if its sensor wires are cut into.
No, I am not saying that.... :)

...if the after-market security system bypasses it, then the [aftermarket] alarm system is badly designed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts