Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
interesting,

it was off on my car, I found the setting on the menus and turned it on yesterday

I found a quiet bit of road with some gentle bends with no cars around and decided to play,

it does like in the videos online gently keeps you in lane. then after about 30 second moans about hands on wheel

what I also found today is on roads with about 40mph or more you feel a slight resistance (or like increase in steering weight ) on the wheel to keep you centred in lane

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks. I've been curious about this, having test-driven a Tesla with it on the motorway. I know it's not the same beast at all, but is it at the level where you could gently rest your hands on the bottom of the wheel and let it do the bulk of the work for a long motorway drive?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pretty much I think, I will know more on Tuesday when I do several hundred miles on motorway (M25, M40, M5), then later in the week on way home M5, M6, M25 bring my total for the week to be around 700 miles

so plenty of miles to try the active cruise, LKAS etc

the active cruise does slow you down to a stop :) followed a van off a slip road and let the car control the speed with my foot hovering over the brake if the distance started to decrease and I needed to intervene,

once was enough for that due to the uncertainty of what it would do but it did give me more confidence in the system but I was outside of how the system was designed to be used

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, it's that annoying up-and-down-the-gears stop-start A-road and M'way traffic I'm most interested in using it for. Prime use case, I guess.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the smart cruise is good on open road, but at the end of the day you are responsible for the safe driving of the vehicle you are I control of

with the DSG gearbox and smart cruise basically most of the time you just have to point the car where you want to go, but coming to a stop and junction you should be in control,

i have just checked the manual and it says smart cruise will be cancelled when the speed drops below 6mph, I did manually brake for the last little bit as the vehicle turned onto the roundabout without coming fully to a stop, so I will need to check that one again to be certain

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had LKAS fail today with message something similar to "check LKAS system" on the dash, cleaned front badge where there is a sensor array and washed windscreen to ensure camera / sensor at top of screen was clear an reactivated LKAS ok

weather was drizzle and roads dirty, so something to keep an eye on

·
Registered
55 Posts
That would get very annoying for me. There's no way to "keep it clean" either. It worked while you were driving initially and then failed ??

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's possible that coating it with wax will prevent any build up from water spot and anything else that might come at it. But at the same time wax might set off the sensor, if thin enough of a layer I don't see why it would.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LKAS does cancel at 5mph on hybrid, you get a little chime and a message on right hand side of dash

but at 5mph or less all you do is lift you foot off the brake and it will creep at about 5mph, its great on the M25, no right foot needed and it runs pretty much only in EV mode, so long as you have charge in the battery

I assume the difference is the fact the EV don't have a gearbox, as opposed to the DSG in the hybrid

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
one thing i am noticing, you need to keep the front badge clean (the big plastic plate) as that is where i am told the LKAS sensors are, and today salty road, it got dirty and lkas was very intermittent

have cleaned it when i got to work so should be fine going home

·
Registered
66 Posts
When my wife got her VW Up! we wanted to protect with without getting the magical 'lifeshine' offered by the dealer.

I found a local detailer that applies 9h-LDC (I think thats what it's called). And it's been 3 and a half months now and the car body still beads up in he rain and the windows are still repelling water (despite it being washed about 4 or 5 times since with a pressure washer).

After reading your comments about the lower rear windscreen I had planned on booking the Ioniq (when its ordered) for just the glass treatment, but I also imagine he can treat the plastic that surrounds the emblem too.

You can buy various ceramic coatings for glass (I say ceramic as it lasts much much longer than standard rain-x) online but they are notoriously hard to apply correctly.
Could be worth a look before you put in the elbow grease to clean,prep and apply rain-x every month?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
to be honest, the lower section of the rear window you rarely look through
as what you see is too close to be of use while driving

i washed it the other day and rain-x'ed all the glass, all is fine except that lower rear panel

the spray that comes up is to fine to bead, and there's not enough air movement to keep it clear so i doubt anything will really help on that one

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
interesting, it was off on my car, I found the setting on the menus and turned it on yesterday
I found a quiet bit of road with some gentle bends with no cars around and decided to play, it does like in the videos online gently keeps you in lane. then after about 30 second moans about hands on wheel what I also found today is on roads with about 40mph or more you feel a slight resistance (or like increase in steering weight ) on the wheel to keep you centred in lane
When I did my test drive three weeks ago it was on while I was not aware of it. The first thing I felt when I changed highways on a junction was that it kept the rather sharp corner itself. I thought it was just a response on my own steering to help me preserving it. But later on, when I tried I found out that it can just approach and follow bending roads by itself. I was very surprised.

·
Registered
260 Posts
one thing i am noticing, you need to keep the front badge clean (the big plastic plate) as that is where i am told the LKAS sensors are, and today salty road, it got dirty and lkas was very intermittent

have cleaned it when i got to work so should be fine going home
I believe the radar sensor is located behind the badge and that would be associated with the smart cruise control. LKAS has optical sensors up by the rear view mirror near the windshield.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe the radar sensor is located behind the badge and that would be associated with the smart cruise control. LKAS has optical sensors up by the rear view mirror near the windshield.
that was my thought, but apparently according to the techs at the dealer there are sensors for it behind the badge as well,

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks. I've been curious about this, having test-driven a Tesla with it on the motorway. I know it's not the same beast at all, but is it at the level where you could gently rest your hands on the bottom of the wheel and let it do the bulk of the work for a long motorway drive?
Yes, it pretty much steers itself, but gets confused at times. Also, if the lane is too wide, it will sometimes sway from side to side inside the lane.

If you want to switch lanes, just tap the turn signal briefly and the car will follow.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Some more questions to the lucky ones that already own an Ioniq concerning the LKAS:

What is needed that the steering wheel recognizes contact?
Do I need to grip firmly? Or is a slight touch sufficient? Touch on the front, back, top, bottom?
Do I need to grip with both hands or only one hand (I would expect very much the latter)?
Are grips in all positions detected, like a single hand on top or at the bottom of the steering wheel? Or only left/right?
What about steering with your knee.... Don't worry, I won't be driving from Lisbon to Lithuania with only my knees touching the wheel 0:) ... although ...>:) ... it's more technical curiosity that is nagging me :nerd:

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it needs to feel resistance to its movements, not pressure /grip of the wheel itself

basically it need to feel you turning the wheel (or you stopping it from turning it), not gripping it for grim death

you don't need two hands, I tend to cruise on the motorway with just my right hand steering at about 5 oclock, unless the traffic gets heavy or weather bad

1 - 20 of 87 Posts