Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2020 hybrid premium plus typhoon silver
29 Posts
hi "mxhans", iv think you have answered your own question,you have had little or no problem with your 2016 car.the facelifted 2020 car is a great car...iv just bought a new hybrid se spec in britain and im very happy with it,wish id bought it when i had chance this time last year....but heyho... look what iv ended up with now.,cant fault the car,has the full electric been upgraded to 38kw where you reside,it gives better range than the 28kw.have fun choosing ,i did

·
Super Moderator
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Dear MR Bleucar1, and others to whom it may concern,

Have you already replaced your 2016 Ioniq for something new (sorry if I missed it in another topic) ?
I'm asking because I am asking myself the question if I should do it and having a yes/no issue every other day.

I own (not lease) a december 2016 HEV, mid spec (comfort in NL), blue. It has about 72000 km on it and has performed flawlessly. Regular services and a few recalls. Of course, there are traces of usage. The boot has been used intensively and has some scratches on the subwoofer grill, the leather of the steering wheel has some wear on the lower side of getting in- and out of the car (too big belly). Tires will be replaced with the next service (75000km). Futher no big issues with paint, damages or anything. Still liking this car.
i haven't replaced mine yet, i was hoping to by now, but my work mileage has dropped like a stone and my mileage is virtually 0, (only done 300 miles since march due to lock down) now on a job which is 100% remote working only as its for a major US brand looking after their cloud based systems for the next 2-3 years

so what to do?

My car is on a PCP lease, (these seem to be unique to UK, sort of like a normal lease but lower payments and option to purchase at the end based on expected mileage at end of lease) my option to purchase is around £6500

i can consider trade in, at which point the difference between part ex value minus loan outstanding can give a small deposit, to buy or restart the PCP process

i could purchase the car outright by paying the remining loan

or hand it back and walk away owing nothing, but then have to fund a new car (this is the option to take if for some reason even at the end of a PCP the car is worth substantially less than trade in value like depressed car prices due to virus pandemic)

currently i think i have £1000-£1500 value in the car for trade in, so the hand back is not the best option for me at moment

problem i have is with my mileage i was looking at a plug in, but now a full EV is cheaper and range is now sufficient (at the moment)

i have my eye on a couple of plugins within my budget, but am now considering the option of a full EV

so i have 3 options and 3 months to make the choice

i also have the option of buy the car, with a bank loan to give me more time to either find exactly what i want or take more time for the plugin / EV decision

but it will definitely be another Ioniq

·
Registered
164 Posts
but it will definitely be another Ioniq
That's what we like to hear at this forum. :)
I too haven't driven much due to lock down and expectations are it will be about 8000km a year less in better times, than what I've done so far. Lot's of thing to consider. Full EV is still very expensive and I want more than 38kWh to go to family in weekends without stopping for a charge. Every now and then I will be looking at this forum and if a decision is made, you will hear from me again.
All the best and greetings from Holland.

·
Registered
689 Posts
mxhans

Based on what you have written I've deduced the following:
  • You own your current vehicle and so there is no cost (other than depreciation, which is now tapering)
  • Your current vehicle services all your needs and is not costing much to run or maintain (except tyres which are due soonish)
  • You'd like a full EV but the current crop with the required range, are either out of your price bracket or you don't like them. Btw, what range do you need?
  • You like the IONIQ but when you drove the new model, you found the experience on par with your current IONIQ
Buying a new vehicle for some tens of thousand of dollars (Euros) to avoid the cost of tyres on your current is not reasonable, especially since the depreciation of a new vehicle upon delivery, will be 2 or 3 times the cost of tyres. I recommend keeping your vehicle and driving it until such time that a full EV with the range that you need, that you find attractive and at your price point, comes along.

In the next few (2 to 5) yrs there are going to be lots of new EVs on the market which will massively increase your buying options. I'd wait for them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
In the next few (2 to 5) yrs there are going to be lots of new EVs on the market which will massively increase your buying options. I'd wait for them.
That's exactly what I thought 3 years ago, and still do, so the development of bigger, better, cheaper batteries takes a little longer than I thought earlier. I want an EV to have a practical range of about 400km (250 miles). That way I can visit all my locations within the Netherlands and mainly charge at home. Kona is not the car for me, just personal taste.

The thing that triggered my thoughts this week on looking for a new one was this:

I had not seen that before. Wear on the underside of the steering wheel caused by getting in and out of the car with too big a belly. It made me think my car was old. But, as said, a new one does not drive any better than mine and I have no issues at all with this car. It's mileage is getting better every year.
Common sense is to keep the car, keep saving more money and maybe go for full electric in a few years. But hey, buying a car does not have to be common sense always. Maybe I want to give myself a nice present in the near future and a new Ioniq will always be on my wish-list.
Looking at the market, I must say my Hyundai dealer is willing to give good money when I trade-in my current car. Due to the current COVID situation, sales will not be good for them at the moment.
Greets..

·
Registered
565 Posts
My wife and I have 'repaired' many a piece of scratched furniture with a Sharpie (permanent marker) over the years. Go to an art store and get a grey one, it may just hide it enough to buy you three more years for under $5.00.

·
Registered
39 Posts
mxhans, I would also recommend staying with the current car for one more year. The scratches are expected. Yes, Hyundai does show signs of wear sooner luxury cars. But most of it is cosmetic. My Ioniq is my third Hyundai, car, I'm happy to say I've never had any major functional problems.

As for the actual cosmetics issue... I think this can now be an opportunity! You can take it as your next car project - take and mod the car as much as you can, make it into something even better than what you can. Personally if I got a new car, I would hesitate to "ruin" it by adding bells and whistles, aftermarket wheels or things like that. On the other hand, if I was ready to trade my car in for a new one, why not try a few things first? You might not have a problem with trying something before you look into a new Ioniq. You don't have to do this, you could start with a steering wheel cover. Add a few things here and there, see how you like it. Maybe try to "fall back in love" with the one you have right now.

One way to look at it is that a lot of Ioniq owners considered the car first because its potential environmental impact, energy and other savings. And the biggest impact you could make is to not buy a new car yet. New car will stop being new the second you drive it out.

If you still want a new car, go for it, by all means. But I'm suggesting to maybe look into how to have more satisfaction out of the one you already have before you commit that money. As you say yourself, these things are not rational, which means we could convince ourselves into many things.

·
Registered
689 Posts
That's exactly what I thought 3 years ago, and still do, so the development of bigger, better, cheaper batteries takes a little longer than I thought earlier. I want an EV to have a practical range of about 400km (250 miles). That way I can visit all my locations within the Netherlands and mainly charge at home. Kona is not the car for me, just personal taste.

The thing that triggered my thoughts this week on looking for a new one was this:
View attachment 32310
I had not seen that before. Wear on the underside of the steering wheel caused by getting in and out of the car with too big a belly. It made me think my car was old.
Yes, that's not a good look. Thankfully, you can only see it when entering or exiting if the wheels are turned right. Try to turn left when you stop. As mentioned elsewhere, I think that you could easily make it less noticeable. At worst, see if you can't get a replacement at a junkyard/wrecker.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts