Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
No to Mud Flaps

When I bought my present car, mud/stone flaps were recommended. Would anyone recommend them for the Ioniq?
I'm not convinced of the benefits of mud flaps had them on a Skoda Fabia, didn't seem to reduce mud down side of car, and on Ioniq the body has been shaped to reduce drag, and adding flaps is likely to increase drag and reduce fuel efficiency.I have had my Ioniq ceramic coating treated with Gen3 Glasscoat (sorry Rene) and I have found that mud rinses off with a quick squirt with a hose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the review. I will be putting similar miles on mine but you are 13k ahead of me. No issues with the car so far except an odd "pinch" inside the drivers side door. Auto window up will hit the resistance and go back down so I have to do the manual window up to make it go past that point. Will get it addressed at next service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To the OP...as a 'one week' owner of the last 2017 Blue that a dealer had in his inventory, this is everything I could want. My car is not equipped with a lot features,but your post hit everyone of my concerns at ease. Thank you...

·
Super Moderator
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
so passed 40,000 miles this week, serviced today as well

so an update,

nothing much to report, nothing changed since this original 20,000 mile review

have had a few firmware updates, one for ICE at the 20k service which seemed also to improve smart cruise regen braking, made it much smoother

had a BMS update today, not worked out if anything has change, but it does seem happier to stay in EV mode mode

no issues or dramas with the car, still very comfortable and still getting 70+ MPG UK , highest seen is 95mpg UK on a long run

according to service report

front brakes only 30% worn and rear brakes only 20% worn, so very light on brake pad wear, nothing else noted

new front tyres at 35,000 miles, replaced the noisy Michelin energy save tyres with Dunlop blue response, much quieter and seems to be a few mpg better economy

not using any oil or fluids between services

interior shows no signs of wear, switch gear still solid, no creaks or rattles from the dash

no blown bulbs, or issues with lighting

this car just keeps going and does what it says on the tin, I personally can't fault it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many thanks for your reviews. I have just joined the forum, don't have my Ioniq yet, due in December but enjoying reading the comments from everyone and taking note of all your points so I can test things for myself to compare.

·
Super Moderator
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
welcome to the forum @JonF

glad you are enjoying the forum and are due to get your car in December

please introduce yourself over on the new member intro thread here https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/3-new-member-introductions/

any questions, just ask there is no such thing as a silly question on here and we try to be as friendly and helpful as possible (with a bit of clean banter as well :) :) )

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Yep,you already know what I’m going to say... spot on, well put, I agree completely.

In my post about how the Ioniq wears, I mention how shocked I was and still am at how well it does wear, if at all. Given the 30,000 miles on A roads, motorways and sometimes dirt tracks, I’m surprised it doesn’t have more scuffs and chips. I had something hit the windshield and I was sure it would have left a crack but nothing. Wheel trims not so much however, they have taken a beating and have you seen the cost Hyundai is charging for that bit of plastic? Ridiculous.

The price increase on service and leasing this year has made me look at other cars, but only look, and I’ve came straight back to it. There’s just nothing else, within my price range, that offers what the Ioniq offers, and it offers a lot.

If you’re a hippy like me, it’s the materials used and the co2 emissions, if you have a bad back like me, it’s the seat positioning and comfort, all very ergonomic. If you do a lot of miles, it’s the fuel efficiency. If you want to drive something that doesn’t look like a futuristic go cart (aka the bmw i3) then the Ioniq really does cover it all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great review. It gives me a lot to consider between now and late January when I will take delivery of my new Hybrid Premium SE.
I'm delighted that your front tyres lasted until 35000 miles. Is that the first change? My Qashqai fronts need changing every 18000 miles at £180 each. So £60 per tyre on my new car will make quite a saving.

Reactions: bluecar1

·
Super Moderator
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@Mickledo

yep, that was first change, at 45,000 the rears still have 3mm on them, but will probably change before the bad weather really get here

please introduce yourself over on the new member intro thread here https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/3-n...introductions/

any questions, just ask there is no such thing as a silly question on here and we try to be as friendly and helpful as possible

·
Super Moderator
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update
so at 20,000 mile I noticed
I do have one issue with the DCT on my Ioniq, if I am on a slope of 5-10% gradient and speed between 50-62mph the change down from 6th to 5th is smooth, but if the car decides it needs to go from 5th to 4th the change is slow and very noticeable, I am fairly certain this is a software issue as if I do the same changes in sport mode both changes are smooth and normal speed, I have it logged for investigation during my service next week
I was told it was a characteristic of the DCT and possibly the way i was driving / using the gearbox?

an interesting thing, since the clutch actuator has been replaced this slow change issue is no longer present?

so was it the actuator?

was any software updates applied i haven't been informed of?

was it having to reset all the gearbox and clutch adaptions in the electronics? (they did say they did this at 20k when i logged the issue but didn't cure the issue)

i will never know, but the issue has gone

·
Registered
67 Posts
What a great review, thank you for taking the time to write it. I just got my Ioniq today, and did wonder about the brake pedal travel, but thanks to your review I now know how it works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been undecided for 2 weeks whether to go for the Renault Kadjar (higher up but lower MPG) or the Ioniq (lower down, bigger boot and much better MPG) but reading this has pretty much made my mind up.

Thanks for such a comprehensive review.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello
I am almost decided on buying one Ioniq Hybrid. One thing I am concerned with is the ride height. I like to go camping with my family and sometimes the road is really bad with potholes and slopes. How is Ioniq on that kind of semi off road?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Dear MR Bleucar1, and others to whom it may concern,
would I buy another Ioniq hybrid when I come to replace this one in 3 years time

whether I stick with Hyundai or swap to a different manufacturer will depend on how Hyundai develops their range and how competitive it is both in initial purchase cost and warranty, currently in my opinion here in the UK price and warranty are hard to beat, I was disappointed to see a 20% increase in servicing costs by Hyundai across the board this year this may affect my decision when I come to replace my Ioniq
Have you already replaced your 2016 Ioniq for something new (sorry if I missed it in another topic) ?
I'm asking because I am asking myself the question if I should do it and having a yes/no issue every other day.

I own (not lease) a december 2016 HEV, mid spec (comfort in NL), blue. It has about 72000 km on it and has performed flawlessly. Regular services and a few recalls. Of course, there are traces of usage. The boot has been used intensively and has some scratches on the subwoofer grill, the leather of the steering wheel has some wear on the lower side of getting in- and out of the car (too big belly). Tires will be replaced with the next service (75000km). Futher no big issues with paint, damages or anything. Still liking this car.

At the dealer I drove a new 2020 Ioniq HEV (mid spec also), and I have to say, driving does not feel any newer than my 2016 ioniq! I think this tells a lot about the quality of Hyundai The new car had 17 inch wheels which felt like in a bit more firm suspension and my own car feels a bit more responsive on the throttle. Of course there are lots of new gadgets.
Pricing and specifications differ in every country, but here in the Netherlands the price of the same car have gone up by 6000 euro's since 2016/2017.

My original plan was to go for electric by now, but prices of electric cars are still way too high and I don't like the Kona (which has the good range). If there was a 64kWh Ioniq EV, I would not hesitate to buy it, if it's within the budget.
If I decide to go for it, I would choose the top spec HEV now with "plus pack" and it would cost me about 18500 euro's to do so.

What are your thoughts on this?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts