Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to have a list of breakdowns/issues and the needed repair that users have had with the Ioniq EV. Please include year and trim of vehicle. My goal will be to create a spreadsheet with types of real world issues and repairs.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I have 14,500 miles. The only cost so far, had to get my tires rotated twice. Total cost for tire rotations (two times 7k miles and 14k miles) = $48
Don't think you can count that as a breakdown /issue , it's just normal wear and tear . Rotating tyres seems to be a practice on your side of the water . :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
The cable inside the boot for opening charge port flap door has problem, one of the inner pully has failed and the cable became lose. Dealer was willing to repair it without charge.

Once changing the cabin airflow direction from blowing forward to demist the wind screen, a strange stepping motor noise occurred within the dashboard, I was unable to replicate it at dealer place (typical!!! ), even though I had a video to proof the iaaue. It hasn't come back to annoy me yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cable inside the boot for opening charge port flap door has problem, one of the inner pully has failed and the cable became lose. Dealer was willing to repair it without charge.

Once changing the cabin airflow direction from blowing forward to demist the wind screen, a strange stepping motor noise occurred within the dashboard, I was unable to replicate it at dealer place (typical!!! ), even though I had a video to proof the iaaue. It hasn't come back to annoy me yet.
What year and trim do you have? I have seen online people mention release cable problems for the charge door and charging cable emergency release.

·
Registered
237 Posts
What year and trim do you have? I have seen online people mention release cable problems for the charge door and charging cable emergency release.
On youtube the emergency release is a two person affair, the plug has to be pulled at the same time as the emergency release.. I wonder if this is a universal "feature" or a faulty emergency release system.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Right front door makes a screeching noise when opened or closed. Sometimes it disappears...and comes back later. It does not come from gasket, and the hinges have been oiled and greased in Hyundai service. No big deal but lowers the feeling of quality quite a lot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right front door makes a screeching noise when opened or closed. Sometimes it disappears...and comes back later. It does not come from gasket, and the hinges have been oiled and greased in Hyundai service. No big deal but lowers the feeling of quality quite a lot.
What year ioniq electric do you have?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Had an issue with the Smart Cruise Control today. A red triangle with an exclamation mark appeared on the dash and the display said the conditions for smart control could not be met. Thirty seconds later the triangle disappeared and everything went back to normal.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Reminds me, one or two of the my door hinges appear to have rust forming. I removed the factory grease and applied white lithium grease and will monitor if it will become worse with rain and next seasons snow

·
Registered
566 Posts
OMG my 2018 Ioniq Electric had the same annoying creaking sound when opening up the passenger front door. If I recall it happens when the weather was colder. It hasn't shown up yet now that it's summer. I had no clue what the heck was going on causing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 EV Elite model - ongoing issues with charger cable not disengaging. Petrol cap doesn't open anymore. Manual override for petrol cap doesn't work. Manual override cable for charger disengagement is totally stuffed (cable kinda unravelled when I pulled it) and needs replacing. I'm a female, so I doubt it broke through brute force.

Also the brakes clamp every time I pull away from park mode and the car makes a funny, loud noise. Hyundai Greenlane told me this is 'normal'. :rolleyes: They also charged me $270 for my first service (brand new car) and changed the brake fluid. Is this normal to change the brake fluid so early? I thought my service costs would go down with an EV, not up....

·
Registered
431 Posts
2017 EV Elite model - ongoing issues with charger cable not disengaging. Petrol cap doesn't open anymore. Manual override for petrol cap doesn't work. Manual override cable for charger disengagement is totally stuffed (cable kinda unravelled when I pulled it) and needs replacing. I'm a female, so I doubt it broke through brute force.

Also the brakes clamp every time I pull away from park mode and the car makes a funny, loud noise. Hyundai Greenlane told me this is 'normal'. :rolleyes: They also charged me $270 for my first service (brand new car) and changed the brake fluid. Is this normal to change the brake fluid so early? I thought my service costs would go down with an EV, not up....
My 2018 EV pulls away smoothly and without noise, so yours is definitely not normal.

I was wondering how you charge the car if you can't get the charge door open?

My first service is due next month, and as I understand it, it's just a tick box exercise and software update. Clunking brakes and changing fluid sounds a little suspicious to me.

Anyone else think that she's being fobbed off because she's a woman?

Do you know much about cars? If not it may be an idea to take a friend or work colleague who is knowledgeable about cars with you when you take the car back to get the issues fixed. They may be able to tell if you are being fleeced.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My 2018 EV pulls away smoothly and without noise, so yours is definitely not normal.

I was wondering how you charge the car if you can't get the charge door open?

My first service is due next month, and as I understand it, it's just a tick box exercise and software update. Clunking brakes and changing fluid sounds a little suspicious to me.

Anyone else think that she's being fobbed off because she's a woman?

Do you know much about cars? If not it may be an idea to take a friend or work colleague who is knowledgeable about cars with you when you take the car back to get the issues fixed. They may be able to tell if you are being fleeced.
I have to agree brake fluid should not be changed at your first service. And those problems don't sound normal even for a ICE vehicle. Sounds like the dealership is padding the bill and have no idea what they are doing. You mention you have a 2017 has it ever been in accident? How many miles does it have? If those issues were not resolved at the dealership try another one and as Scan man suggested take someone that knows cars. Also you should call Hyundai and tell them the issues your experiencing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had an issue with the Smart Cruise Control today. A red triangle with an exclamation mark appeared on the dash and the display said the conditions for smart control could not be met. Thirty seconds later the triangle disappeared and everything went back to normal.
What was the weather like? I have heard of this happening when something blocks one of the sensors..

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
What was the weather like? I have heard of this happening when something blocks one of the sensors..
I've had that happen in snow and last week in torrential rain , obviously too much for the sensors to cope with

·
Registered
431 Posts
It was warm with bright sunshine. The error cleared itself without any intervention from me and hasn't occurred since (yet).

1 - 20 of 93 Posts