Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm considering a 2023 Ioniq 5 AWD at the SEL or Limited trim level.

The Limited has a lot of nice features, but is of course quite a price jump. I pulled the following list of features that the Limited has over the SEL from the Hyundai website. I grouped and ordered them very roughly in the order that they jumped out to me.

I'm curious to hear from folks who have owned a Limited - after getting used to the car, which of these features do you now consider 'must haves', and which have you grown indifferent to?

I did a bit of forum searching, found a few tidbits of info along these lines, but nothing too comprehensive.
Many thanks!

Safety Related:
  • Surround View Monitor (SVM)
  • Blind-Spot View Monitor (BVM)
  • Parking Collision-Avoidance Assist – Reverse (PCA-R)
  • Headlights - LED (Projector-type)
  • Remote Smart Parking Assist (RSPA)
Features I found interesting:
  • Bose Premium Audio System
  • Ventilated front seats
  • Premium Head-up Display (HUD) with Augmented Reality functions
  • Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) (2nd row)
  • “Vision” roof
  • Driver seat with Relaxation function
  • Adjustable head restraints (outbound positions)
  • Sliding center console
  • Rain-sensing windshield wipers
  • 20 inch alloy wheels
Features less interesting (to me):
  • Premium LED front accent lighting
  • Bumpers and body cladding - Silver vs Black
  • Premium side sills
  • Premium gloss-black exterior accents
  • 8-way power passenger seat, with power lumbar support
  • Integrated Memory System for driver seat
  • Rear side-window sunshades

· Registered
2023 Phantom Black/Black. AWD LTD
95 Posts
The Limited is pretty awesome. The HUD, ventilated seats, pano roof, 360 camera and others features ROCK

The LED mustache is cool and very distinctive. The Bose sound system - just meh - especially losing a big chunk of the under floor.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Limited is pretty awesome. The HUD, ventilated seats, pano roof, 360 camera and others features ROCK

The LED mustache is cool and very distinctive. The Bose sound system - just meh - especially losing a big chunk of the under floor.
Thank you for the feedback.

Bose sound: I noticed the space taken away by the sub, what were they thinking? Are the Bose speakers significantly better than the standard speakers? For example, in a Chevy product, the optional Bose speakers are nothing amazing, but the stocks are quite horrid, so the Bose is very nice to have in comparison. I will certainly listen to both systems myself ...

· Registered
2022, Teal Limited AWD
632 Posts
I have a Limited: I am a bells and whistles guy and like to have the best features a vehicle line has to offer.

• Bose Premium Audio System - I am not an audiophile. I have seen some comments from those that say they know and the system is not that great I don't think it sounds bad. The SE/SEL apparently is A LOT less
  • Ventilated front seats - Have not used yet nor turned on. I have in another vehicle, and there is some cooling. Remember it is just circulating cabin air. i have the white seats and do not expect them to be so hot.
  • Premium Head-up Display (HUD) with Augmented Reality functions - I LOVE having the speed and directions in front of me.
  • Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) (2nd row)
  • “Vision” roof - Really makes the vehicle feel open. although it is minimal for front seat passengers. I have yet to ride in the back
  • Driver seat with Relaxation function - USELESS for tall people. It does not reach the back of my legs in full recline
  • Adjustable head restraints (outbound positions)
  • Sliding center console - Not really need. I don't know where the SE/SEL fixed position is. Fully forward is where I like mine
  • Rain-sensing windshield wipers - Did not know that SE/SEL don't have it. It seems to work well. Not too sensitive. My Audi goes into full blast at any moisture and I hated it and disabled it.
  • 20 inch alloy wheels - Really like the limited wheels. Personally, hate the SE/SEL wheels. Sorry very ugly (but so are a lot of newer black wheels on many cars)
  • Premium LED front accent lighting - I think the colored ambient lighting makes for a nice interior at night. Many new cars feature colored lighting
  • Bumpers and body cladding - Silver vs Black - Like the silver as opposed to the black
  • Premium side sills
  • Premium gloss-black exterior accents
  • 8-way power passenger seat, with power lumbar support - SE/SEL passenger seats are manual. I would hate that
  • Integrated Memory System for driver seat - Not sure what SE/SEL do/don't have. Limited had door buttons which i have never set. Seat position memory is also saved in the user profime.

· Registered
2023 Phantom Black/Black. AWD LTD
95 Posts
Thank you for the feedback.

Bose sound: I noticed the space taken away by the sub, what were they thinking? Are the Bose speakers significantly better than the standard speakers? For example, in a Chevy product, the optional Bose speakers are nothing amazing, but the stocks are quite horrid, so the Bose is very nice to have in comparison. I will certainly listen to both systems myself ...
I don’t run my audio super loud, so its perfectly fine for me. I would rather have more cargo space, but it’s fine. I love the heated and vented seats.

· Registered
Ultimate | Lucid Blue
516 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else have already said. I love the HUD and I don't mind the Bose system that much. While it's not the best system I've ever had in a car, it does get the job done.

· Registered
IONIQ 5 SEL AWD, 2021 Ioniq Electric Limited, 2004 Subaru Forester XT
140 Posts
Some of the features listed in the original post are included in the 2022 SEL trim, but not 2023 apparently (which is a bummer).
  • Headlights - LED (Projector-type)
Regarding the non-Bose sound system, just replacing the factory speakers can make a huge improvement. I spent about $300 on replacement speakers (installed them myself) and am super happy with the improvement.

Reactions: TheNateS

· Registered
8 Posts
I really like the limited. In terms of features that I use a lot:
  • HUD is great and helps a lot, even if the information can be duplicated in the dash display
  • Glass roof is really nice, might regret it when Summer rolls in
  • Haven't used ventilated seats, yet, but might use it in the hotter months
  • Surround view of car for parking is really handy
  • I've used assisted parking a few times - it can be hit or miss, depending on how the other cars are parked (the I5 bases its final parking position on the other cars, not on the road, so it might hit a curb if the car in front is really close to the curb, for example), but can be helpful
  • Rain sensitive wipers are very handy if you have regular rain
  • Enjoy the mood light
  • Seats are very comfortable and good to have seat memory if more than one person might drive
  • Headlights are great.

Bose system has been average, can't complain - not much of an audiophile and prefer to listen to music at lower volumes, anyway. Silver trim is nice, but wouldn't care either way.

20 inch wheels are nice, but will be more expensive to replace and has worse efficiency.

Sunshade in the rear can be useful if people will ride in the back.

Parking collision assist seems worth it, even if it never activated for me. Same with V2L, I think it is something you will really want when you need it, but it might be infrequent.

Hope this helps!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hit a dealership today to compare trim levels and colors. There aren’t many cars sitting on the lots, but I was able to compare a blue SEL and a Shooting Star Limited. Both fine cars, and a really tough choice, but I preferred the look and features of the Limited.

“Got to treat yourself!”

Wasn’t expecting to be able to work out a deal on the first visit, but we got close enough to my ideal numbers that I did it.

Now I need to figure out all the settings and gadgets!

Thank you all for your input and thoughts.

· Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
1,514 Posts
Stuff I really would not buy a car without in blue (big reason I don't have a tesla lol)

Safety Related:
  • Surround View Monitor (SVM) - I use this ALL the time. I find it insanely useful and coming from my previous car (Kia Niro EX) I told myself my next car would definitely have this.
  • Blind-Spot View Monitor (BVM) - It's neat but the steering wheel blocks it all the time
  • Headlights - LED (Projector-type) - Kia/Hyundai could be better here, whatever upgrades available for headlights are a must IMHO
  • Remote Smart Parking Assist (RSPA) - I've only used it to show friends
  • Bose Premium Audio System - Stock Kia/Hyundai sound systems are rubbish, bose is tolerable, feels VW entry to me.
  • Ventilated front seats - Critical, why spend this money on a car without them?
  • Premium Head-up Display (HUD) with Augmented Reality functions - Critical, insanely well executed, better than any car I've seen. Very simple, love the myriad of options and you very very quickly become accustomed to registering if someone is in your blind spot, etc, out of the corner of your eye, I won't buy a car without it in the future, and at this level or better for sure.
  • Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) (2nd row) - Neat, I've never used it
  • “Vision” roof - Critical for me, last car didn't have pano or sun roof, told myself my next one would, and unlike certain other cars in this class, it has a shade that's incredibly useful.
  • Driver seat with Relaxation function - I've never used it
  • Adjustable head restraints (outbound positions) - I've never fussed with them
  • Sliding center console - This is nice, I'm happy to have set it where i like it (all the way back) and wouldn't want to give it up for USB-C for example.
  • Rain-sensing windshield wipers - nice at this price but not critical
  • 20 inch alloy wheels - critical, they complete the look, and seeing the wheels that come on the IONIQ 6 it's clear Hyundai saved here on the SE/SEL because if another brand uses plastic wheel covers, why not.
  • Premium side sills
  • Premium gloss-black exterior accents - I think these are a wrap actually, but I think they look fantastic, it's the first car I've had where it's all gloss black vs rubber.
The Limited is a HUGE step up and it definitely elevates it to a competitor that excels at much the Audi Q4 etc falter at.

· Registered
412 Posts
It’s all about your budget especially 2023 model.
2022 SEL has some features for Limited trim such as projected light etc….

if you can stretch your budget to 5-6k more then get limited trim. All the features from limitred trim well worth the money.

But SEL is decent car too.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stuff I really would not buy a car without in blue (big reason I don't have a tesla lol)
The Limited is a HUGE step up and it definitely elevates it to a competitor that excels at much the Audi Q4 etc falter at.
Thank you so much for sharing your detailed thoughts. I did buy a Limited over the weekend and agree with your line-item comments on each feature.

I've seen a number of comments about the steering wheel blocking part of the screen, but haven't noticed that myself. Perhaps where I've adjusted the seat and steering wheel to.

You mentioned HUD options. Love the HUD as well, I'll have to read the manual about configurations.

Thank you

· Registered
IONIQ 5 Ultimate AWD + Tech + Eco Galactic Grey Delivered
532 Posts

Safety Related:
  • Surround View Monitor (SVM) - I use this ALL the time. I find it insanely useful and coming from my previous car (Kia Niro EX) I told myself my next car would definitely have this.
  • Blind-Spot View Monitor (BVM) - It's neat but the steering wheel blocks it all the time
  • Headlights - LED (Projector-type) - Kia/Hyundai could be better here, whatever upgrades available for headlights are a must IMHO
  • Remote Smart Parking Assist (RSPA) - I've only used it to show friends
  • Bose Premium Audio System - Stock Kia/Hyundai sound systems are rubbish, bose is tolerable, feels VW entry to me.
  • Ventilated front seats - Critical, why spend this money on a car without them?
  • Premium Head-up Display (HUD) with Augmented Reality functions - Critical, insanely well executed, better than any car I've seen. Very simple, love the myriad of options and you very very quickly become accustomed to registering if someone is in your blind spot, etc, out of the corner of your eye, I won't buy a car without it in the future, and at this level or better for sure.
  • Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) (2nd row) - Neat, I've never used it
  • “Vision” roof - Critical for me, last car didn't have pano or sun roof, told myself my next one would, and unlike certain other cars in this class, it has a shade that's incredibly useful.
  • Driver seat with Relaxation function - I've never used it
  • Adjustable head restraints (outbound positions) - I've never fussed with them
  • Sliding center console - This is nice, I'm happy to have set it where i like it (all the way back) and wouldn't want to give it up for USB-C for example.
  • Rain-sensing windshield wipers - nice at this price but not critical
  • 20 inch alloy wheels - critical, they complete the look, and seeing the wheels that come on the IONIQ 6 it's clear Hyundai saved here on the SE/SEL because if another brand uses plastic wheel covers, why not.
  • Premium side sills
  • Premium gloss-black exterior accents - I think these are a wrap actually, but I think they look fantastic, it's the first car I've had where it's all gloss black vs rubber.
V2L back seat my kids wanted to bring the PS4! Hahaha

· Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
1,514 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing your detailed thoughts. I did buy a Limited over the weekend and agree with your line-item comments on each feature.

I've seen a number of comments about the steering wheel blocking part of the screen, but haven't noticed that myself. Perhaps where I've adjusted the seat and steering wheel to.

You mentioned HUD options. Love the HUD as well, I'll have to read the manual about configurations.

Thank you
Congratulations!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts