Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Both replies above from yticolev and chunga68 about long hill descents refer to the use of cruise control, and if necessary a light touch on the brakes. My experience with using cruise control on other vehicles is that as soon as the brake is applied, the cruise control is disengaged.
A light touch on the brakes will indeed disengage cruise control but you will still be using regen, not the mechanical brakes (kind of the whole point of a hybrid - to capture energy that would otherwise be wasted). If you want to change your speed up or down, easier to adjust CC speed. I know it works this way without mechanical brakes because I went down a 25% grade for three miles at 25 mph using only cruise control. At the bottom, my battery read full on my HEV. When the battery is full, you do lose regen as there is nowhere to place the current. The car then reverts to engine braking only - there is still no mechanical braking. I haven't experienced this myself but several here have reported it.

Other than panic or near panic stops, the mechanical brake only comes into play below 6 mph (10 kph) where regen effectively stops (also the speed of the creep function). Regen is all that is needed even in medium fast stops, it is really strong, even in the HEV with a relatively small motor and battery.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts