Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello / Henffych

From the title of this introduction you can see that my wife and I are grappling with the decision whether or not to buy an IONIQ HEV Premium (March 2019 - so not the latest style). Having taken the trouble to join this Forum, the likelihood that we shall buy is high.

The Ioniq will replace a diesel Mercedes Benz A-class [Moose variety, 2011]. It will join a venerable Lexus RX300, and a Motorhome. Most of the Ioniq's journeys will be under 20 miles, of mainly rural lanes and being gently driven, but with some motorway journeys now and again. (At our age our driving style is relaxed, though I do have an advanced licence and still love driving my daughter's Audi TT when ocasionally permitted!).

We've looked at the current A-class. There's no HEV until next May. And, frankly, the spec will be inferior compared with the Ioniq's. I'm past caring about badge prestige. A friend of ours has an i30 and we've been impressed. So it looks like we'll not buy the diesel Mercedes, but venture into the unknown world of the HEV. We had a test drive today. Being very old school, I asked - as we were about to descend a long and fairly steep hill - how to engage engine braking. Apparently it's not possible on the model in which we're interested, other than by engaging S and downshifting using the paddle. I've looked at discussions on the Forum, and there's no obvious alternative. Maybe I should simply let the car do its own thing.

We'll make a decision soon, and report. Meanwhile, whatever be the outcome, it's a pleasure to join the Forum.

Cymro

Registered
Welcome to the forum @Cymro,

Hope your new car arrives soon so you can experience the Ioniq. Premium is a nice model.
With only 20 miles and not in a hurry you might even switch to the full electric in the near future.

Super Moderator
Welcome Cymro ,
I generally use smart cruise control on steep hills around the valleys and the car will take care of the engine braking , though sometimes need mechanical brakes on the hairpins . My 2016 hasn't got the paddles so I can't really advise on that .

Registered
The engine braking is minimal. However, the motor regen makes up for it and then some. Easiest to just let cruise control maintain downhill speeds, but a light push on the brakes does the same thing with regen doing the slowing, not the mechanical brakes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
The engine braking is minimal. However, the motor regen makes up for it and then some. Easiest to just let cruise control maintain downhill speeds, but a light push on the brakes does the same thing with regen doing the slowing, not the mechanical brakes.
Many thanks for that explanation. That's a new concept for me.

Both replies above from yticolev and chunga68 about long hill descents refer to the use of cruise control, and if necessary a light touch on the brakes. My experience with using cruise control on other vehicles is that as soon as the brake is applied, the cruise control is disengaged. That's not the case with a speed limiter however: on a descent, if the speed limit is reached and is likely to be exceeded, applying the brakes doesn't switch off the limiter.

So if I used the speed limiter instead of cruise control, and came down a long decent, would the car automatically try to reduce speed by means of regen so as to keep to the limit which has been set? In other words, would the following sentence be correct (substituting SL for CC): "Easiest to just let speed limiter maintain downhill speeds, but a light push on the brakes does the same thing with regen doing the slowing, not the mechanical brakes."?

Cymro

Registered
In my EV, using the limiter does apply the regen braking. A steeper descent might well need mechanical braking to slow further

Registered
Hi and welcome, after 10 days and one long journey I find I don't need to worry about when the car is charging because the software does things better than I can.
Backing off the accelerator going down a steep hill will automatically engage regen. which acts as a brake of sorts.

Good luck with your decision :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your most helpful replies. That's set my mind at rest because, being "old school", I just don't like driving down a long descent relying on the brakes alone without any engine braking (or in the case of the Ioniq, the retarding effect of regeneration). I know that it's cheaper to change the brake pads than an engine, and was told recently when training for my advanced driving test that these days one can have total confidence in the brakes - but the habits of almost 60 years of driving are hard to shake off!

So as I normally use the speed limiter, I'll drive as recommended; on a descent regen will retard and, and if necessary, I'll use the brakes. Nothing to fear!

Now for all those other mystifying buttons, screens and switches!

Thanks again
Cymro

Registered
Hi @Cymro CC or ACC can definitely maintain your set speed downhill through regenerative braking and should do so without illuminating the rear brake lamps.

If not using the CC or ACC, lightly pressing the brake pedal will also apply renerative braking to maintain speed and without illuminating the rear brake lamps. The brake lamps will not illuminate until significant pressure is applied to the brake pedal. Switching to Sport to downshift, really does very little for engine braking...far less than in a conventional ICE car.

I can't really speak to the Speed Limiter, as it's a feature not available in my country. But from my understanding of it, it should function as you describe.

Registered
Thank you all for your most helpful replies. That's set my mind at rest because, being "old school", I just don't like driving down a long descent relying on the brakes alone without any engine braking (or in the case of the Ioniq, the retarding effect of regeneration). I know that it's cheaper to change the brake pads than an engine, and was told recently when training for my advanced driving test that these days one can have total confidence in the brakes - but the habits of almost 60 years of driving are hard to shake off!

So as I normally use the speed limiter, I'll drive as recommended; on a descent regen will retard and, and if necessary, I'll use the brakes. Nothing to fear!

Now for all those other mystifying buttons, screens and switches!

Thanks again
Cymro
The great thing about the regenerative braking is it really extends the life of the mechanical brakes. Other forum members have reported examining their brakes after 1000s of miles to see a lot less wear than would normally be expected from brakes on an ICE car after the same mileage.

Registered
I'm still curious about the potential decision to go HEV as with your driving pattern and alternative available fleet on your drive to cover out of range trips I would be much more interested in a BEV Ioniq. That has the ability to both coast and regen brake effectively using the paddles and the judicious use of light brake touches, which in the hills of Wales can be quite satisfying to a skilled driver, and also extremely efficient. Can you share with us why you rejected that option?

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Happy to give you chapter and verse, Hitstirrer.

We'd hoped that our Merc would have given us 10 years or 100,000 miles. It's been a good everyday car, suitable for country lanes etc. But on return from the dealers after annual service (77,500 / 8 years / dealer maintained) a transmission problem has developed. Some would say by coincidence... Likely to be very expensive. Currently being investigated.

So we looked at a new A-class diesel, but are not confident that the City of Cardiff won't introduce a low emission zone which might even catch Euro 6. in a few years. We looked at a petrol, but they are pricey (tho' less than diesel). And the hybrid Merc, which doesn't arrive until next May, is an extra 拢10K or so.

A friend of ours lived in Germany. He had a series of German cars, but his final car there was a Hyundai i30. So when, a year ago, he moved back to Wales, he wanted another i30. We went with him to chose an used one. It is really impressive: my wife and I often travel in it as we share lifts to choir, gym etc. So I thought about returning to the local Hyundai dealer. I was mildly interested in the Ioniq in all 3 versions.

The plug-in PHEV, and the BEV, ideally require a dedicated electrical supply of sufficient amprage. We park our Merc adjacent to one wall of the house; it has a 16 amp external socket, but it's too far from the socket on the car. In any case, a dedicated supply would be best. And - in a house from the 1890s - that would cost quite a bit to install, and we didn't want to face the associated upheaval.

So we are likely to buy the HEV. It's a few months old with 3,000 on the clock. The specification of the Premium version beats our Lexus (not surprising as the Lex is very long in the tooth but still a faultless joy). If the Ioniq turns out to be reliable, then it tickes the boxes.

In short, Hitstirrer, the choice is being made by cost, availability, apparent value for money, and knowledge of the i30.

Hope that tells you what you wanted.

Cymro

Registered
Hope that tells you what you wanted.
Thanks. That explains your thought process. But I'm still a bit puzzled at why a BEV or even a PHEV was rejected on what seems to be charge availability at the house grounds. You do know that large grants are available to fit wall chargers, don't you? It's usually a simple enough job and power can be taken from either the CU or the meter position. Then run to a position suitable to connect to the car via a cable of whatever length is required. A Hybrid EV is essentially just a more efficient petrol car. Much more expensive to run and nowhere near as enjoyable as a pure EV. With your day to day mileage pattern, and with alternative transport, you are in ideal BEV territory. I just think that it would be a shame to miss out and buy 15-year-old technology. Your decision of course. Each to their own as the saying goes.

Super Moderator
Thank you both for your welcome.
Delighted to see that you're nearby, chunga68! Where do you get your car serviced?
Cymro
Hutchings Hyundai Pontypridd .Mid way between us depending on what part of Cardiff you live ...no complaints

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Hitstirrer: Management, she say "no". Mega range anxiety. Can't persuade that we could use the Lex, or even the Camper. So that's it, i'm afraid. I've survived 50+ years of marriage by obeying the mantra "MKB" *

Chunga68: Pentyrch. so Hutchings would be convenient.

* Mam Knows Best !

Cymro

Registered
Management, she say "no"
I once made the mistake of asking what was the point of cushions. But you should have said that in your first post and saved a bit of typing time. A BEV with a 120 mile range and afraid of driving 10 miles to Tescos is world-class range anxiety. Make sure that the HEV always has at least 50 litres on board, capable of driving 500 miles, before attempting that same 20 miles round trip Tesco expedition.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Conclusion: Have bought the Ioniq HEV Premium SE. Have kept the Merc A Class (because I can't sell or PX it as it is - needs new torque converter; must bite bullet and pay 拢2K to get it fixed; should last a few years thereafter.) Have sold the splendid Lexus RX300 to a neighbour who's a classic car restorer and who's coveted the RX for years.

Looking forward to getting accustomed to the Ioniq.

Cymro

Super Moderator
welcome to the club @Cymro

I am certain you won't be dissappointed

any questions just ask, we try to operate a "no such thing as a silly question" policy, all we ask is you try a quick search before you ask

look forward to hear more from you and nice to see another member from wales, as we don't have to many

1 - 20 of 22 Posts