Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Fiery red Ioniq PHEV
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you happy with the headlights on your cars?

I often drive in the dark and therefore think it is especially important to have good lighting. I would like to have time to see and brake before I collide with a moose or other animal ...

Has anyone mounted an addon light bar on an ioniq? Preferably without disturbing any functions.

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq Electric Style
7 Posts
Not very happy no. Low beams are led and they are ok. High beams on my 2017 model EV are halogen and they are acceptable after replacing old bulbs with decent Osrams, but still they are not what I would describe as good. It's dark in Finland too, and if I had frequent drives on unlit roads I'd look for led bar too. But I mostly drive on lit highways so currently I don't have the need for extra lighting, but I'm interested for future reference.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
89 Posts
I did it. I choose my normal way of going all in haha!!

I found the only proper way of mounting a LED bar on the Ioniq was to go for a slim line version and mount it low. My previous Volvo V70 had a massive bar on the roof, previous Leaf had also a smaller one in the lower grill. The roof mount is way superior, but I simply could not do that to the Ioniq(!) Also I know from experience that you really want the light source to be very rigid, secured well to the car to avoid the light beam shaking. I simply don't understand how people can use these flimsy mounts that screw behind the front license plate.

From the bulky chine ones to this slim one with higher quality without opting for the $$$$ ones. The link is more for getting the specs, buy it where ever you like.

It turned out well, its a great upgrade and it does a good job throwing light. I commute on smaller roads and I easily pick up animals in good time to stop safely.

First, bumper off to take measurements.

Make a proper 5star drawing...

Sketch it up in SW and walk over to the waterjet and have it made. Have a slight laugh at the shape this effort resulted in, then pray it will fit.

Dremel out two smll slots in the bumper and mount it all back. Power comes from the 12V battery with LH high beam light triggering the relay.

By chanse I ran across this MY20 and found it had a LED bar too. They did not go all in though.... Normal way vs Superhero way of doing it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well done Superhero, that looks really good. From your description, it sounds like the light bar will light up when the high beams are on, i.e. anytime the high beams are on, unless you've added a dedicated switch to shut off the light bar when you don't want it. If my understanding is correct, is it legal to have this extra light bar on roads in Sweden ?

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
89 Posts
Well done Superhero, that looks really good. From your description, it sounds like the light bar will light up when the high beams are on, i.e. anytime the high beams are on, unless you've added a dedicated switch to shut off the light bar when you don't want it. If my understanding is correct, is it legal to have this extra light bar on roads in Sweden ?
Thanks, yes it's always connected to the high beam. It's legal and more or less mandatory. I would say at least 75% of the cars here got some sort of extra light source coupled with high beam.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did it. I choose my normal way of going all in haha!!

I found the only proper way of mounting a LED bar on the Ioniq was to go for a slim line version and mount it low. My previous Volvo V70 had a massive bar on the roof, previous Leaf had also a smaller one in the lower grill. The roof mount is way superior, but I simply could not do that to the Ioniq(!)

From the bulky chine ones to this slim one with higher quality without opting for the $$$$ ones. The link is more for getting the specs, buy it where ever you like.

It turned out well, its a great upgrade and it does a good job throwing light. I commute on smaller roads and I easily pick up animals in good time to stop safely.

First, bumper off to take measurements.

Make a proper 5star drawing...

Sketch it up in SW and walk over to the waterjet and have it made. Have a slight laugh at the shape this effort resulted in, then pray it will fit.

Dremel out two smll slots in the bumper and mount it all back. Power comes from the 12V battery with LH high beam light triggering the relay.

By chanse I ran across this MY20 and found it had a LED bar too. They did not go all in though.... Normal way vs Superhero way of doing it.
Looks great!

I already have an LED bar, but judging by your photos, it seems to be too tight to mount it where you have yours. It's 60mm insted of 35mm high. It must probably be mounted with a bracket under the licens plate instead. I have to go by the dealer tomorrow and measure. It would be good if I could mount it like yours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, yes it's always connected to the high beam. It's legal and more or less mandatory. I would say at least 75% of the cars here got some sort of extra light source coupled with high beam.
You took the words out of my mouth. 😁

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
89 Posts
Looks great!

I already have an LED bar, but judging by your photos, it seems to be too tight to mount it where you have yours. It's 60mm insted of 35mm high. It must probably be mounted with a bracket under the licens plate instead. I have to go by the dealer tomorrow and measure. It would be good if I could mount it like yours.
In this case spending another €150 to get the proper LED bar would be good I think. Sell the one you got or return it. You can have the DXF for my mount if you like.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If my understanding is correct, is it legal to have this extra light bar on roads in Sweden ?
Is it illegal in Canada? If so, why?

The extra lights only light up when the high beam is on, and you turn it off when you risk dazzling other road users.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In this case spending another €150 to get the proper LED bar would be good I think. Sell the one you got or return it. You can have the DXF for my mount if you like.
Well, the one I have is slightly better (200m more before it is down to 1lux), so I probably would rather make it work.

Thanks for the offer anyway!

·
Registered
2017 Ioniq Electric Style
7 Posts
Led bars were practically illegal in Finland untill 2017... It was really stupid. Cars were allowed to install 2 extra lights. But only 2. Not one, not three. Let alone more. Exactly 2. And rules also stated maximum total brightness of high beams + extra lights. And adding 2 led bars usually ment the brightness went over the limit. Plus it wasn't allowed to install extra lights in the roof.

Why was the law like that? No one knows. Finland has lot of stupid laws.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
89 Posts
Why was the law like that? No one knows. Finland has lot of stupid laws.
There was or at least rumors going here that you could only use an even number of light sources not to be mistaken for a motorbike. This was during the 90's and now it's all fine.

Even though the law requires the normal low beam or DRL to stay on the corners of the vehicle we now see cars like EQC, ID.3(?!) and Enyaq with a full disco going on in the front and rear of the car.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Even though the law requires the normal low beam or DRL to stay on the corners of the vehicle we now see cars like EQC, ID.3(?!) and Enyaq with a full disco going on in the front and rear of the car.
Bjørn Nyland recently posted two videos about the LED matrix high beams on the ID.3 and Polestar 2. The way they open holes for the cars you're following and the oncoming traffic while still brilliantly lighting up everything else is incredible. The Polestar's smooth execution in particular is truly magical. Hopefully Hyundai jumps on the bandwagon, as I'm convinced it's more than just a gimmick and offers true safety on a country drive.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
89 Posts
Bjørn Nyland recently posted two videos about the LED matrix high beams on the ID.3 and Polestar 2. The way they open holes for the cars you're following and the oncoming traffic while still brilliantly lighting up everything else is incredible. The Polestar's smooth execution in particular is truly magical. Hopefully Hyundai jumps on the bandwagon, as I'm convinced it's more than just a gimmick and offers true safety on a country drive.
Fingers crossed. We really need new cars to get away from these half way there clever lights that are not ready yet. The Matrix ones must be the way.

I actually reflected about this some years ago making this picture.

the top car is a Volvo S60 P2 with after market HID, which is illegal here. The bottom car is a 2018 MB with those clever lights moving the light making only the left light low beam if it finds it suitable. They are so friggin lousy at it and I always blink them by "mistake" as I think they still are on high beam. They are fully legal!!

·
Registered
2020, Ioniq PHEV Premium SE
34 Posts
My previous Volvo S60 had similar but not with LED based lights, active bending and "active shadow", as described above. It was quite impressive watching the shadow change and move. For the wife though is was a typical yeah whatever!

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
89 Posts
My previous Volvo S60 had similar but not with LED based lights, active bending and "active shadow", as described above. It was quite impressive watching the shadow change and move. For the wife though is was a typical yeah whatever!
And not impressive to be the one in the meeting car...................

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium
69 Posts
I find the bi-xenon lights in my Ioniq pretty decent at night. I wouldn't add more or adjust them as wouldn't want to dazzle other road users. Here in the UK that would land you potentially 3 points and £100 fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you happy with the headlights on your cars?

I often drive in the dark and therefore think it is especially important to have good lighting. I would like to have time to see and brake before I collide with a moose or other animal ...

Has anyone mounted an addon light bar on an ioniq? Preferably without disturbing any functions.
Greetings from Colombia, I have the Hybrid HEV limited that comes with HID, that light is no good at all, bought a pair of D3S LED on amazon
will install it and see how it goes....
aditional I bought a LED bar from Baja Designs on amber color 10", we like to travel nightime so for me it's really important to see clearly at night.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts