Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! Brand new to this forum. I just purchased a new Hybrid Ioniq Blue earlier this week and love it. I'm sure I'll have many things to share as I learn more about the car.

One thing I've noticed though is the liftgate button on my key FOB only unlocks my liftgate.

I pushed the button anticipating an automatic pop of the liftgate, but instead the lights flash twice and the liftgate unlocks silently.

Is this normal or should the liftgate pop open when I push that button like I had hoped?

Otherwise, the button seems useless as I could just as easily hit the unlock button on my FOB.

Your feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Not sure.....always avoided that button in previous cars as its just a route to locking key in car. With smart key I just walk up to the boot and open it so never used the button on the key :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have the Electric and can confirm it acts in the same way.

Press and hold to unlock just the liftgate, not the doors. Liftgate locks again automatically when closed.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
on mine (UK spec premium) with keyless entry and start I don't need to do anything, so long as the key is in my pocket I can just open the boot and none of the doors unlock

have you tried holding the button for 3-5 seconds?

mine if I press the unlock it does just that it is unlock only, I think if you don't open the boot / trunk within a set period of time it locks again as a security measure (will need to check that)

my previous cars the boot / trunk unlock button used to pop the trunk onto the first catch, which ment it was then insecure until you closed it properly again, so in my mind the Ioniq is a more secure solution

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the responses.

And thank you for confirming that my car is acting the way it should.

I guess I was just used to the auto pop trunk with my Sonata.
@bluecar1 I agree with you it is a safer alternative and worked like a charm the other day when I just wanted to access my liftgate.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
no problem eric, any questions just ask, as you see we know a fair bit more than dealers as we have had the cars some time and use them daily :)

if in doubt we can pop out and check, then get back to you

unlike dealers who have a brochure and a little training

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay all, can you help me. I have an Ionic hybrid 2017. The hatch back closes really easy, but people like to slam it shut. It's real annoying when people put things in the hatchback and then slam it shut when I'm sitting behind the wheel.

Here's my question, how do I permanently lock the hatchback to keep everybody out of it, except me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One scenario where the remote button comes in handy is if you have to unlock the hatch for someone else who needs to access it while you're some distance away. eg., I'm in the house when my son needs to grab his soccer gear from the trunk.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Okay all, can you help me. I have an Ionic hybrid 2017. The hatch back closes really easy, but people like to slam it shut. It's real annoying when people put things in the hatchback and then slam it shut when I'm sitting behind the wheel.

Here's my question, how do I permanently lock the hatchback to keep everybody out of it, except me.
Yesterday my wife had to hop out of the car to get a bag out of the truck. I had stopped with the car in drive foot on brake,and she
could not open the hatch, until i put the car into park. So seems we found another undocumented safety feature

·
Registered
Marina Blue HEV Ltd IONIQ from 25 Jul '17
1,865 Posts
Yesterday my wife had to hop out of the car to get a bag out of the truck. I had stopped with the car in drive foot on brake,and she
could not open the hatch, until i put the car into park. So seems we found another undocumented safety feature
The hatch locks with the other doors of the car. When you put the car in gear or set off (depending on your settings), all the doors, including the hatch, lock. They don't unlock again until you put the car back into park or shut off the car (depending on your settings).

I wouldn't call it undocumented, really. It's considered a "door" for all intents and purposes, because it provides access to the main cabin, rather than a separate compartment, like the boot of a traditional sedan/saloon car. Therefore, it both locks and unlocks with the passenger doors.

The only exception is that the boot door can also be unlocked separately via the button on the key fob, or by standing directly behind the car with the key fob on your person. Other than that it will only unlock when the other doors are unlocked, which means shifting into Park (or turning off the vehicle if you have that setting enabled)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts

Keep it in drive, which locks out the boot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts