Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased an Ioniq EV which is going to be delivered in four weeks. Can't wait for it to arrive as I had a blast driving it for a few days when testing it.

I have a question for all you Ioniq EV owners out there. How long exactly is the AC charger cable for the EV charge point? I have an electrician coming to install the charge point and I need to know how far from my parking space I can put it.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV SE 2017 (UK spec)
970 Posts
Having taken a tape measure to the BEV Premium SE that I had on extended test I can confirm the charge cable, on the UK model at least, is exactly 5mtr long excluding the connector plugs at each end. Also supplied is a low wattage charger fitted with a 13amp UK plug. I used this overnight to charge the battery from about 40%. After about 12hrs when I went out in the morning the batttery was 100%. At the time I was unable to set the scheduled charging, to take advantage of cheap rate, as despite trying various combinations it kept coming up with a message that start and end time could not be the same....even though I had set different times. When I returned the car I asked the Technician, who after some experimentation discovered that BOTH weekday and weekend times have to be set, even though they are on separate tabs, before pressing to accept settings. This is not mentioned in the user manual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Before rushing out and buying a 32 amp 3 phase 20 m cable: keep in mind that the size and most importantly the weight of those cables is quite relevant.
I doubt that you need more than 7 m in most cases, even when parking is a bit difficult.

20 m gives you an enormous amount of flexibility - but at the cost of comfort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I needed to know the length as I was hoping to install my home charger at the side of my house but was unsure whether the cable would be long enough to reach the car in the parking spot. As it turns out 5 m will be about 1 metre too short so looks like I'll have to buy the longer cable.

·
Registered
254 Posts
From my experience I find it very comfortable to have the charger cable permanently attached to my home charger. It looks like you have to buy one anyway. It is very comfortable especially on rainy days to not have to open the trunk every morning and evening and take out and put in a wet and muddy charger cable. You just roll it up and hang it against the wall.

Reactions: unkel

·
Registered
843 Posts
From my experience I find it very comfortable to have the charger cable permanently attached to my home charger. It looks like you have to buy one anyway. It is very comfortable especially on rainy days to not have to open the trunk every morning and evening and take out and put in a wet and muddy charger cable. You just roll it up and hang it against the wall.
I'm with you.

I have been home charging for two years already and went for a tethered cable - it was absolutely the right choice for convenience.

I have to change it for a type 2 from a type 1 when my Ioniq arrives, but a simple job and I have the new cable ready to install.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From my experience I find it very comfortable to have the charger cable permanently attached to my home charger. It looks like you have to buy one anyway. It is very comfortable especially on rainy days to not have to open the trunk every morning and evening and take out and put in a wet and muddy charger cable.
That's my thinking. I had my free charger installed last week on the side of my house. I have a classic car parked up in my driveway beside the house and the Ioniq will be parked behind that. I have no intention of reversing the Ioniq in (wife wouldn't be happy doing that). I haven't measured yet, but I likely need a 12.5m or 15m cable. I intend to leave it permanently connected to the charger and install a pedestal with a "charge gun holster" in the bushes beside the Ioniq for the other end of the Type 2 cable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
One thing I've noticed is that charging outdoors when it's raining will likely mean that the caps that cover both the charger and the inlet will get water in them... they should have had the filler cap flip upwards to act as a quasi-umbrella!

·
Registered
168 Posts
We have a lot of rain on Vancouver Island. That's why everything is so Green here ! -- Having our new Ioniq SE EV for nearly a month now, I've noticed, as you, that rain water can get into the Filler Cap connection area. Yes, having the cap flip up would have solved the problem. However, in the meantime - a simple solution - take a Plastic Grocery Bag and wrap it around the connection and stuff it in to fill the entire connection space. Simply pull it out after charging and shake the water off - stow away in the hatch area for future use ! -- Problem Solved !!

·
Registered
254 Posts
We have a lot of rain on Vancouver Island. That's why everything is so Green here ! -- Having our new Ioniq SE EV for nearly a month now, I've noticed, as you, that rain water can get into the Filler Cap connection area. Yes, having the cap flip up would have solved the problem. However, in the meantime - a simple solution - take a Plastic Grocery Bag and wrap it around the connection and stuff it in to fill the entire connection space. Simply pull it out after charging and shake the water off - stow away in the hatch area for future use ! -- Problem Solved !!
Be careful with water and high voltage electricity! ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good Point pmiddeld --- When it is, or has been raining, always disconnect the charger, keeping your hand on the insulated handle, or make sure the power source is off BEFORE removing the wet plastic garbage bag.

·
Registered
105 Posts
One thing I've noticed is that charging outdoors when it's raining will likely mean that the caps that cover both the charger and the inlet will get water in them... they should have had the filler cap flip upwards to act as a quasi-umbrella!
InsideEVs.com has an article about making a charge port cover for the snow, but it could also work for the rain.

It's basically taking a plastic outdoor faucet cover and cutting a hole in it for it to go over the charger and attach via an elastic band. If you want to get real fancy, you can paint it the same (or similar) colour as your car.

I haven't tried it myself yet but I've been meaning to get one and try it out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Great idea MatthewFabb !! I like the cardboard template :) -- I'm going to check my local hardware store this morning and see if the have a faucet cover as shown, and see if it will fit and actually deflect the rain away ! -- Here's hoping !!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts