Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if you going on a trip do you leave you car on the charger. I have found mixed results? Your thoughts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just wondering if you going on a trip do you leave you car on the charger. I have found mixed results? Your thoughts.
I say bad.
A while back I had an issue, I could not disconnect the charger. This was before I learnt where the emergency release was, and how to use it. I discovered this problem in the morning after an all night charge on my 10A 240V charger, that came with the car. I had no time to fix the issue and had to leave the car and went to work in my ICE van. When I cam home I read the manual ( or should I say misread the manual ) and had the wrong place for the emergency release. Anyway, I ended up calling Hyundai road assist the next day, and they could not work where the emergency release was either (It was the first time the assist person had even SEEN and ioniq EV).
I am rambling on here, but to get back to the point after about 3 days (with charger plugged into the charging port) I worked it out, and released the charger. But now the 12V battery was flat. I called back the Hyuandi assist to jump start me. (They could do that, and I learnt it was safe to jump start the 12V battery )
It looks like to me anyway, that once the charge is completed the cable being plugged in draws some current form the 12 V battery, in my case after 3 days being plugged in caused it to go flat.

Mind you it could have been a faulty battery in the first place. I am not too sure. I had to use the emergency release recently ( with a new 12 v battery ) and I checked the 12 V battery, it had good charge on it at the time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Before I go on a business trip I charge my Ioniq (phev) battery to 80% and then unplug the charger. I think it is better for the long term health of the battery if it is going to be sitting unused that it should not be fully charged. And I also wouldn't want the charger plugged in if a thunderstorm rolled through the area and I wasn't around to unplug it. It does not noticeably lose charge over a couple weeks so no worries when I get back.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Suggest leaving your 12 volt battery on a trickle charger. As you would do for any other vehicle. PHEVs often have 12 volt battery issues so a trickle charge once a month anyway is a good thing. As suggested above, the 12 volt system has a role in charging the traction battery so leaving that plugged in could drain your 12 volt battery.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Suggest leaving your 12 volt battery on a trickle charger. As you would do for any other vehicle. PHEVs often have 12 volt battery issues so a trickle charge once a month anyway is a good thing. As suggested above, the 12 volt system has a role in charging the traction battery so leaving that plugged in could drain your 12 volt battery.
Can't really see the need to put trickle charger on 12v battery, If you have the setting set right on car the main motion battery will keep topping 12v battery up if required! Only had EV for a week but previous car was Ioniq PHEV, and would regularly get message when first using car after it had been stood for few days saying 12v had been topped up!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Actually I asked because some laptop instructions would say not to leave the computer plugged in for prolonged periods of time. I know the car is more robust, But I assume it's just some type of relay that stops the current from overcharging.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Can't really see the need to put trickle charger on 12v battery,
Which means you have not been reading posts about failed batteries on this and many other EV forums. Doesn't affect everyone, but those who trickle charge their low capacity 12 volt lead acid battery once a month appear to be guaranteed long lasting batteries.

Dialogs about charging your 12 volt battery mostly means you have a lot of drain on them when the car is off. Not a good thing - they are notifying you about that so you can be warned.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do agree with a small battery maintenance device. I can get years out of my motorcycle battery using one. Instead of a single season. I’m sure the same could be said about our 12v.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When leaving my car at home it depends on the weather. My car is parked outside with my openevse mounted on a pole. If it's going to be cold I leave it plugged in but disable the charger in its menu. This allows me to charge the battery in case of cold weather drops. If it's it going to be warm I don't bother leaving it connected. We never leave it at 100% but have left it around 95 or less. I don't worry about thunderstorms live in New York surrounded by tall buildings.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Which means you have not been reading posts about failed batteries on this and many other EV forums. Doesn't affect everyone, but those who trickle charge their low capacity 12 volt lead acid battery once a month appear to be guaranteed long lasting batteries.

Dialogs about charging your 12 volt battery mostly means you have a lot of drain on them when the car is off. Not a good thing - they are notifying you about that so you can be warned.
Sorry to say I have read links about failed batteries, nothing say's why they failed, my PHEV is 2.5 years and 32,000 miles no problem with 12v battery, although did get notice that it had been charged by motion battery quite regularly, new EV is 10 days old and 180 miles and went out this morning to see blue dashboard light flashing(means 12v battery being topped up)!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I do agree with a small battery maintenance device. I can get years out of my motorcycle battery using one. Instead of a single season. I’m sure the same could be said about our 12v.
In fact, I do have a motorcycle and practice what I preach, buying a trickle charger the first winter. It is now 7 years old without a hint of battery degradation. Of course, with such a small battery, failure will probably come fast when it does.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Sorry to say I have read links about failed batteries, nothing say's why they failed
Because they don't have alternators that are constantly charging the 12 volt battery, an automotive system with 60 years of proven worth. Instead they have an intermittent system triggered by low voltage to charge the 12 volt battery from the traction battery by a DC to DC inverter. This DC inverter is controlled by the 12 volt system which means any failure results in a dead 12 volt battery with no ability to tell the inverter to charge it. Multiple instances of low voltage in a lead acid battery can shorten its lifespan dramatically.

I'm over simplifying the issues, but they are real, and 12 volt battery failures in BEVs are real, and far out of proportion to ICE vehicles. The solution that many forums have discovered is to use a trickle charger regularly. Or carry a battery jump device to supply a little bit of 12 volt supply so the DC DC converter will work and charge the 12 volt battery. This solution won't leave you stranded but I suspect it won't help stop rapid battery failure either.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Interesting thoughts Yticolev, I wonder just what % of Ioniq batteries have failed? could it have just been a bad batch? I'm sure Hyundai would have done plenty of research and testing of the system before adopting it, like i say my PHEV was 2.5 years old with no problem.
I do also have motorbikes and do use trickle charger on the more modern bike when parked up for more than 2 weeks due to alarm/imobilizer, however the 1975 Honda CB750 never gets plugged in and always starts no problem after being stood for 4 weeks, same battery for last 2+ years

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Like motorcycle batteries, that small 12 volt battery in the PHEV and BEV is surprisingly expensive. And it is not covered under the drivetrain warranty. So preserving it makes a lot of sense.

Possibly even Hyundai doesn't know a percentage since the lead acid battery is not a warranty item. I assume it is small, but not so small that you don't see a lot of complaints on car forums. I think I've seen at least 20 complaints about dead batteries on this forum, but probably not all needed replacing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts