Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the hybrid if you get out with it still switched on and walk away from the car it beeps and you can't lock it.

If for some reason you missed the beep and forgot to lock will it ever auto-off or will it keep going till it runs out of petrol ?

Easier to leave on in error than a normal petrol engine as a) quiet and b) normal car you pull the key out and it stops.

Please help!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I think you would have to be pretty deaf not to hear the beep, and not notice the clunk of the central locking

I have done it a few time (forgot to turn it off) but you get the beep when you try to lock it, and it squeals as you walk away with its keys

it is like and abandoned child, it lets you know you forgot it,

so although I forgot to turn it off I have never manage to walk away without figuring out I the car wasn't happy

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
ive had the opposite where i got in the car, moved into D and not actually started the car, then have to go back to P and then try again.

Mad
done that many times,

or even worse move it out of park too soon , the had to move it back to park and push the start button again :) DOH!!!!

now I get in, foot on brake, push button, do seat belt by which time the car has started and I can put it in drive and go :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Many times I leave my hybrid Ioniq running in EV mode with the smartkey in my pocket. You cant lock it but it does not beep. When I have returned fetching someting I get in, release the parking brake and drive away. What's the fuzz??

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Many times I leave my hybrid Ioniq running in EV mode with the smartkey in my pocket. You cant lock it but it does not beep. When I have returned fetching someting I get in, release the parking brake and drive away. What's the fuzz??
what is the effect on the battery level?

does plugging the car in to charge disable driving until it is unplugged?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Have no idea, dont plugin my hybrid. Charges itsself.
But in EV mode only the electric motor is in standby when shifted in Park mode.You dont hear it and its not consuming fuel and hardly any power. This can take an hour before your battery drains and the ICE kicks in for charging. No worry, youre car is in P. Wont drive away itsself. Its not a Knight Rider.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
In the UK, sad to say that although the Car won't drive itself away, there are plenty of thieving opportunists who would! :(
and if they can't take the car they will take anything that isn't nailed down from the inside

·
Registered
776 Posts
Anxious to hear how far they came without a smart key.
At least they need a load carrier.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I subscribe to CMPG's (Central Motorway Police Group) twitter feed, and I remember one frosty morning they tweeted that they had already had 6 reported thefts of vehicles left running on the driveway to defrost. They may well have had more as the morning went on.

That was on just one example morning!

Insurance is void too, if left unattended whilst running.

·
Registered
384 Posts
done that many times,

or even worse move it out of park too soon , the had to move it back to park and push the start button again :) DOH!!!!

now I get in, foot on brake, push button, do seat belt by which time the car has started and I can put it in drive and go :)
I faced the same experience, and it can be a problem if one is parked on a slope, and the car starts moving in the wrong direction while pressing the pedal! :eek:
My workaround is unlocking the parking brake after pressing the start button and before shifting to D or R. Once the parking brake is unlocked, the "start music" is heard which means I can safely shift to D or R.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
done that many times,

Not just me then ? :)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I subscribe to CMPG's (Central Motorway Police Group) twitter feed, and I remember one frosty morning they tweeted that they had already had 6 reported thefts of vehicles left running on the driveway to defrost. They may well have had more as the morning went on.

That was on just one example morning!

Insurance is void too, if left unattended whilst running.
I sometimes worry about that but then I think, in my area, unless sheep or birds learn how to steal cars..

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Lol! Yeh we're kinda short on monkeys in Derbyshire..

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'm confused but intrigued.. go slow..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts