Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the leather is faux leather/leatherette/vinyl or real animal hide leather?

I'm asking because I want the best trim mainly because of BSD and RCTA, but I'm not getting anything with animal leather.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anybody know if the leather is faux leather/leatherette/vinyl or real animal hide leather?

I'm asking because I want the best trim mainly because of BSD and RCTA, but I'm not getting anything with animal leather.

Thanks in advance!
I don't think the seats are real leather, although I can't be sure. They look quite leathery but don't smell of leather - that usually means high-quality PU. Difficult to tell these days without seeing the back of the material.
The steering wheel and gear selector would seem to be covered in the real thing though.

It would be nice if car manufacturers were clearer about these things, especially on a vehicle that probably appeals to eco-conscious people.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Go for Premium not Premium se and get the fabric seats. I also refuse animal products, as I'm vegetarian / vegan. The steering wheel and gear stick are leather unfortunately but I try n think about the air pollution I'm saving and the 20% recycled materials in the dash.. can't have it all yet... soon!

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
So is this also a common characteristic here: being vegetarian or vegan and eco-conscious? It at least applies to me too...

Reactions: TKGDee

·
Registered
843 Posts
Leather means animal hide, period, in the legal sense of the term. One exception is when preceded by the word ‘faux’.

My Ioniq brochure says ‘leather’ for the seat facings (Premium SE), and it would be unlawful (in the UK) for them to state that if it were not animal hide. There are no qualifying descriptors to suggest it might be faux (leather effect).

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Go for Premium not Premium se and get the fabric seats. I also refuse animal products, as I'm vegetarian / vegan. The steering wheel and gear stick are leather unfortunately but I try n think about the air pollution I'm saving and the 20% recycled materials in the dash.. can't have it all yet... soon!
thing is leather has some fairly unique properties of wear resistance, absorbs certain amount of moisture, not slippery etc which makes it a good choice for steering wheel / gear lever

problem is I am not awareof a real alternative that has the same / similar properties

·
Registered
843 Posts
To be fair, on the top trim it is not a full leather interior. Only the parts where you park your posterior and rest your back use leather. The rest of the seat upholstery is made, ironically, from fossil fuel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So is this also a common characteristic here: being vegetarian or vegan and eco-conscious? It at least applies to me too...
Yup, vegetarian here. We must be a few.

I'm asking about the seats here because I've asked a dealer without indicating whether I'd prefer one thing over the other (and considering you know how most people work, salesperson would be inclined to tell me the truth if it were animal because in most people's eyes, the most animals that were skinned alive for something, the better). Sales guy told me truth is it was all faux leather except for the steering wheel and gear stick (which I'm going to have to accept, since unfortunately most half-decent cars have that).

The problem is that at least over here, there are just three trims: basic, intermediate and top, which is the only one with leather seats AND blind-spot detection and RCTA. I'm willing to part with the other top trim stuff (sunroof, etc.) but I really want all safety tech in my new car, including the stuff that could help me avoid getting killed or sued. Not being able to fit these two if the seats are animal leather would be a major con, and I'd have to look at alternatives with similar premium equipment without those seats (e.g. VW Golf with the upcoming 1.5 CoD engine; looks 15 years old like most German cars, but it can be packed with technology inside if you throw in some coin).

(Truth be told, I've ridden cars with all kinds of upholstery — cloth, vinyl/faux leather and animal leather, and I prefer some decent cloth upholstery over leather/faux leather any day due to texture, smell, sweat, resistence, etc. I'm not even sure what's the big deal with leather, since any decent cloth will last longer and feel smoother/cleaner to the touch, but maybe it's me; I dislike rubbery feelings. In the case of the IONIQ, I strongly prefer the touch of the cloth one to the whatever-it-is one from the top trim.)

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Vegetarians believe animals are skinned alive for car seats?

Personally, I hate leather seats. Cold in the winter, and hot in the summer. Faux leather is actually better, but cloth is the best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vegetarians believe animals are skinned alive for car seats?

Personally, I hate leather seats. Cold in the winter, and hot in the summer. Faux leather is actually better, but cloth is the best.
No, that was hyperbole. :p But it shows what I think of the general public around these matters.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Leather is from animals that are farmed for meet, (with ofc is what veagan+ dont like/want)
BUT the point is, using the skin is in that sence, sensible. Using every part of the animal...

(Fur coats and so on, where animals are killed just for their fur, is ofc stupid, unnessesary, cruel...)

I dont see anything wrong with using the skin, and buying leather seats if someone finds they want that. Real or fake.
I hope its real, hope i didnt pay 1200euro for fake leather.

·
Registered
843 Posts
But it shows what I think of the general public around these matters.
I am a member of the general public, so is that what you think of me?

For the record, I find the fur trade abhorrent, hunting as a sport just as bad, and animal cruelty of any sort absolutely unacceptable.
I am what my daughter, (who is incidentally a vegetarian) calls a ‘meat reducer’. I frequently consume and to some extent prefer, a vegetarian meal, but do not turn my nose up at a bacon sandwich if the wife puts one in front of me.

There is a fine line between passionately upholding one's principles and beliefs, and being fanatical about it towards people who do not share your ideology. I do hope you are a passionate person, and not a fanatical one.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
@Anon2048 I LOVE the fabric seats in the premium.. although I would prefer if they were made from recycled materials.. I have to be happy I atleast had a choice.
Range Rover and Tesla are doing fully vegan interiors.. so I bet it's only a matter of time before everyone's doing it..especially in the hybrid/EV cars.
I don't even use / wear wool because of how shearing causes distress and wounds the animals.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm sure I read somewhere that the seats are a composite material, but can't remember where I had seen it. generally prefer leather in cars than fabrics.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Also a vegetarian, not wanting animal skin in our Ioniq. I just mentioned to my husband that I would have liked that bit of extra luxury if it *had* been fake leather... Leather is not waste from meat animals though, these animals are bred especially for their skin, and their "meat" is disposed of. Like dairy cows are different from meat cows, egg-laying chickens are different from meat chickens, rabbit fur is not from rabbits you eat. I wish you were right though...

Leather is from animals that are farmed for meet, (with ofc is what veagan+ dont like/want)
BUT the point is, using the skin is in that sence, sensible. Using every part of the animal...

(Fur coats and so on, where animals are killed just for their fur, is ofc stupid, unnessesary, cruel...)

I dont see anything wrong with using the skin, and buying leather seats if someone finds they want that. Real or fake.
I hope its real, hope i didnt pay 1200euro for fake leather.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
@iet may I assume you are a fellow female owner? If so the first I've heard of on this forum :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Also a vegetarian, not wanting animal skin in our Ioniq. I just mentioned to my husband that I would have liked that bit of extra luxury if it *had* been fake leather... Leather is not waste from meat animals though, these animals are bred especially for their skin, and their "meat" is disposed of. Like dairy cows are different from meat cows, egg-laying chickens are different from meat chickens, rabbit fur is not from rabbits you eat. I wish you were right though...
Guess it depends on where we are from then.

Here we eat egglaying hens, and dairycows are among the best meat there is. Skin, thoung, bones and so on are used... A part of redusing the food-waste and upping food-resourses.
Anyway
From the texture of the seats vs old leather seats ive feelt before, its probably a synt-mix anyway...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Premium SE owners can warm them up in winter and cool in summer. :)

So it seems we have a large contingent of tech workers and vegetarians & vegans. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Guess it depends on where we are from then.

Here we eat egglaying hens, and dairycows are among the best meat there is. Skin, thoung, bones and so on are used... A part of redusing the food-waste and upping food-resourses.
Anyway
From the texture of the seats vs old leather seats ive feelt before, its probably a synt-mix anyway...
That's great! I must inform our "Party for the animals" in the Netherlands (5 seats in parliament ;-) ) that Norway has a better way of using all of the animals, instead of killing and burning young dairy bulls for "green current"... as is done here. The egg-laying roosters (just born) are killed by the millions, because their meat "isn't tasty enough"!

·
Registered
183 Posts
@iet may I assume you are a fellow female owner? If so the first I've heard of on this forum :D
Must confess that I am, but technically, I'm not the owner-to-be, my husband is. I'm just the one yapping about it and wanting it most, for HIS birthday :p He'll be driving it to work :nerd:, but I'll be the lucky one driving most of the long weekendtrips and holidays :cool:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts