Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ 5 RWD Premium 58kWh
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the manual, and the forums, and am having some issue with Hyundai's description/implementation of LKA and LDW.

As I understand it, the button on the steering wheel is purely for LDW, and needs pressing every vehicle restart to disable the audible warning when crossing a line.
Conversely, the setting under "Driver Convenience -> Lane Safety -> Assist/Warning/OFF" is for LKA, which - if set to "assist" - actually steers the car when lane markings are visible.

The problem I have is that I'm finding LKA sometimes reactivates for a drive session, despite "assist" being OFF. And the icon I see on the dash is an additional greyed-out steering wheel, which turns blue when the steering is being overridden. The manual has no mention of steering wheel icon - only the "converging lines" LDW icon. This "assisted LKA" will turn back off only when I stop the vehicle and power cycle. I've done over 1000 miles now, and its happened about four times, and I'm struggling to find out under what conditions its deciding to activate. I wouldn't mind, but all my driving is on back roads and the occasional trunk road (never motorways), so it's wholly inappropriate and quite frankly dangerous - I don't want to be fighting against the wheel when steering around corners.

Has anyone else experienced this?
It's a UK Premium 58kWh car.

Steve

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had it on my test drive and the dealer explained how to avoid it. Rather than just pressing the button, you need to press and hold it for a couple of seconds, until the steering wheel icon on the dash display disappears. This disables all the lane keeping stuff (for that driving session).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, you can turn it off in the settings menu, but it comes back on automatically when you start the car next time.
The way to deactivate it completely (for each drive) is to press and hold the steering wheel button for 3 seconds.
You have to do this every time you start the car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep, just part of my daily start the car up routine. Wipe down rear window, open car, engage seat belt, press start button, wait for Confirm button, plug in phone, go to Android Auto, set destination, press brake pedal, engage D, start driving and hold that button down for 3 seconds. Oh for the good old days when I just slid across the bonnet of my red-and-white Torino with the engine already running (just left it on overnight, what climate crisis), jumped through the open window and pressed the gas pedal. No wait, that was just a dream...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had it on my test drive and the dealer explained how to avoid it. Rather than just pressing the button, you need to press and hold it for a couple of seconds, until the steering wheel icon on the dash display disappears. This disables all the lane keeping stuff (for that driving session).
OK this is the confusing part - LDW, the button on the wheel, is a different dash icon to what I see when the physical assisted steering mode comes on.

The first new behaviour all (UK) I5 drivers adopt is the "press and hold" of the LDW button until its dash icon disappears :) Those beeps are annoying!

Smile Font Rectangle Circle Art

I've pasted this here to show the icon for what the manual calls LKA, but it's really LDW, or maybe they're one and the same just to confuse us.
The icon I see when I encounter the issue is a simple steering wheel - no additional lines alongside it or anything (I need to get a photo of it!). It's not shown in the manual.
And when this "assist" mode comes on, I definitely have LDW already deactivated via the steering button. Honest!

The drive assist was on by default when I collected the car (despite me switching off LDW on the steering button - "press and hold"), and I fought against it most of the way home, and the first thing I did was then switch settings "Driver Convenience -> Lane Safety -> OFF" when I got home. And I've never changed it since, but still get these "random" drives where it comes back on for a session. And when it does, I've tried "press and hold" of the steering wheel button (again), but this has no effect. I have to stop and power cycle.

To reiterate: I always switch LDW off before each drive (press and hold!) - this is the issue. It's like something happens that triggers the "assist" mode to kick back in, and it's completely independent from the LDW button on the steering wheel. And when it's on, there's no beeping or anything - as per normal LDW operation - it's purely a steering override that car's attempting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, just part of my daily start the car up routine. Wipe down rear window, open car, engage seat belt, press start button, wait for Confirm button, plug in phone, go to Android Auto, set destination, press brake pedal, engage D, start driving and hold that button down for 3 seconds. Oh for the good old days when I just slid across the bonnet of my red-and-white Torino with the engine already running (just left it on overnight, what climate crisis), jumped through the open window and pressed the gas pedal. No wait, that was just a dream...
I try to imagine it's all pre-flight checks for the Millennium Falcon :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
It reappears when you get to a high way I guess. Have you turned of the HDA or what is was called again, the highway assist?
I do remember it stopped after I took that option away in the menues. Now I only have to hold the button on the steering wheel on every startup to stop the assists (Thank you EU).

·
Registered
77 Posts
OK this is the confusing part - LDW, the button on the wheel, is a different dash icon to what I see when the physical assisted steering mode comes on.

The first new behaviour all (UK) I5 drivers adopt is the "press and hold" of the LDW button until its dash icon disappears :) Those beeps are annoying!

View attachment 36380

I've pasted this here to show the icon for what the manual calls LKA, but it's really LDW, or maybe they're one and the same just to confuse us.
The icon I see when I encounter the issue is a simple steering wheel - no additional lines alongside it or anything (I need to get a photo of it!). It's not shown in the manual.
And when this "assist" mode comes on, I definitely have LDW already deactivated via the steering button. Honest!

The drive assist was on by default when I collected the car (despite me switching off LDW on the steering button - "press and hold"), and I fought against it most of the way home, and the first thing I did was then switch settings "Driver Convenience -> Lane Safety -> OFF" when I got home. And I've never changed it since, but still get these "random" drives where it comes back on for a session. And when it does, I've tried "press and hold" of the steering wheel button (again), but this has no effect. I have to stop and power cycle.

To reiterate: I always switch LDW off before each drive (press and hold!) - this is the issue. It's like something happens that triggers the "assist" mode to kick back in, and it's completely independent from the LDW button on the steering wheel. And when it's on, there's no beeping or anything - as per normal LDW operation - it's purely a steering override that car's attempting.
Makes you wonder what the default for other markets is, and if it is indeed different perhaps some clever person can code the car to behave like it would in the other market so it does not require turning off on every drive cycle. :unsure:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It reappears when you get to a high way I guess. Have you turned of the HDA or what is was called again, the highway assist?
I do remember it stopped after I took that option away in the menues. Now I only have to hold the button on the steering wheel on every startup to stop the assists (Thank you EU).
I was fairly sure I had, but I'll go through them all again shortly and double-check (y)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Makes you wonder what the default for other markets is, and if it is indeed different perhaps some clever person can code the car to behave like it would in the other market so it does not require turning off on every drive cycle. :unsure:
I saw a Youtube video a few years ago, where they used a OBD dongle, and a program of the internet to adjust what they wanted in a VW Golf, one only needs to get hold of a software that get to the settings, but I wouldn't do it because of warranties. At least the lane assist turn off is easy here, in the ID4 my brother have to go into menues to do it.

·
Registered
2021 Project 45
130 Posts
When the car is turned on, Lane Keep Assist is automatically enabled. It's the two converging lines you see on the dash (and HUD if your car has it). To turn it off you need a long press, but it is then re-enabled the next time the car is started.

If you short press the button, then Lane Following Assist is enabled or disabled. This is the steering wheel icon, and the car will remember what you had selected the next time it's started. The steering wheel icon will be green when it's in control, and grey when it's not, for example when you change lanes on the motorway.

·
Registered
219 Posts
This is how I have it.

To the OP, if you download the Ioniq 5 manual, the button you need to long press (abut three seconds) is number 9.
I just got back from testing the Driving Assist (number 10) and it works great... and doesn't re-engage the lane assist, which is also great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When the car is turned on, Lane Keep Assist is automatically enabled. It's the two converging lines you see on the dash (and HUD if your car has it). To turn it off you need a long press, but it is then re-enabled the next time the car is started.

If you short press the button, then Lane Following Assist is enabled or disabled. This is the steering wheel icon, and the car will remember what you had selected the next time it's started. The steering wheel icon will be green when it's in control, and grey when it's not, for example when you change lanes on the motorway.
Ahhhh, now this sounds like the answer, thank you very much (y)
I've been pressing the button too short, then re-attempting a second time to get the icon to go off. I know I've done this before, but hadn't realised that a short press was for Lane Follow on/off!

Aren't forums brilliant?! (as Paul Whitehouse might say)

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
346 Posts
I saw a Youtube video a few years ago, where they used a OBD dongle, and a program of the internet to adjust what they wanted in a VW Golf, one only needs to get hold of a software that get to the settings, but I wouldn't do it because of warranties. At least the lane assist turn off is easy here, in the ID4 my brother have to go into menues to do it.
Forget it, nothing like that on Hyundai. I've gone through the dealer tool, there's very little they can do. The whole coding like on VAG, BMW and Daimler does not really exist here.

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD
603 Posts
Forget it, nothing like that on Hyundai. I've gone through the dealer tool, there's very little they can do. The whole coding like on VAG, BMW and Daimler does not really exist here.
I think that’s why a whole heap of people were working out how to get into engineering mode.

·
Registered
IONIQ5,lounge+Vision,73kWh,Phantom Black
19 Posts

this is a very good answer

·
Registered
IONIQ5,lounge+Vision,73kWh,Phantom Black
19 Posts
Ahhhh, now this sounds like the answer, thank you very much (y)
I've been pressing the button too short, then re-attempting a second time to get the icon to go off. I know I've done this before, but hadn't realised that a short press was for Lane Follow on/off!

Aren't forums brilliant?! (as Paul Whitehouse might say)
thanks for this lesson. I have to learn a lot in my IONIQ5, lounge 73KwH . from november 2021

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Premium, Grey, New 1/1/22.
10 Posts
The LKA and LDW features are one of the major negative aspects of the Ioniq 5. It is totally unreasonable to have these ‘on’ as default settings and have to de-select every time the car is driven.…..having to ensure both the ‘lane’ symbol and ‘steering wheel’ symbol are cancelled.

Why are these not automatically selected ‘off’ and remain off until driver activated. My experience is that, like others, the steering wheel being pulled by some computer driven servo is uncomfortable and even dangerous as it can distract from driving.
I cannot believe that there is any European or UK ’requirement’ to have this facility ’on’ by default.
Would Hyundai consider addressing this issue (and also including a speedometer option in the centre of the drivers display) in a future software update !

1 - 20 of 29 Posts