Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
501 - 520 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
aah no, sorry. havent found a method yet. working on it though. by using the map hack from the 210111 software, . but no success yet
Thanks for the answer. Just another question, do you know if these updates also change how the climate control behaves? Or is it infotainment only? I think that it does not heat up as fast as before with the same settings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I hear a lot in the forums that the gen5w sorta has a wifi module, but I haven't really seen evidence that could support that. Was someone actually able to physically activate it and detect the wireless module in AP or Client mode?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, I hear a lot in the forums that the gen5w sorta has a wifi module, but I haven't really seen evidence that could support that. Was someone actually able to physically activate it and detect the wireless module in AP or Client mode?
I'm not sure if there are any hardware differences, but I have Gen5W on my XCeed MY20, model name CDAS.S5BLN.AEU, without UVO. And I have WiFi enabled and available in the main menu (no Engineering mode hacks required), with which the car connects to any hotspot (usually my phone) and uses that to access Kia Live services (traffic info and so on). If the hardware is the same on UVO/Bluelink enabled units, then the wifi module is there and is working, it might just be disabled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not sure if there are any hardware differences, but I have Gen5W on my XCeed MY20, model name CDAS.S5BLN.AEU, without UVO. And I have WiFi enabled and available in the main menu (no Engineering mode hacks required), with which the car connects to any hotspot (usually my phone) and uses that to access Kia Live services (traffic info and so on). If the hardware is the same on UVO/Bluelink enabled units, then the wifi module is there and is working, it might just be disabled.
What everyone keep forgetting is that the hardware is the same because it's just the economic way to do it. Kia and Hyundai don't do them themselves they buy them to other companies and they don't make one by car model. Even the hardware from different companies are compatible.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 ·
Thanks for the answer. Just another question, do you know if these updates also change how the climate control behaves? Or is it infotainment only? I think that it does not heat up as fast as before with the same settings.
purely infotainment. try and disable the Automatic defog system. usually this blows colder air to defog the front window.

·
Registered
Kia Niro Emotion Luxury Long Range
58 Posts
I confirm that it does have a wifi module, it is disabled, the chip it has is broadcom, it has 11AC, with which it could work in 2.4 and 5 Ghz
Why doesn't HYUNDAI / KIA take advantage of it to put AA / CarPlay Wireless? I suspect it is due to licensing

·
Registered
52 Posts
I suspect it was programmed to work only as a WiFi Client and not AP/CarPlay/AndroidAuto and it can not work both ways at the same time. If it works for CarPlay it can not work as Wifi Client and provide Hyundai Live services and so on ...

Plus of course any licencing issues. I know that Apple and Google do not levy any licencing charges. But that does not mean that technology is royalty free as maybe some other guys had laid their patent portfolios for "wireless something" and are stalking vendors around with their licence fees.

·
Registered
2020 Premium Electric
180 Posts
Hey, if it can help, I'm an Ubuntu user and the hyundai updated app seems to be working through wine emulation. Just be sure to have admin rights when you start wine and install the emulated app.
Oh really? I haven't tried in a while - and I didn't try very hard - but it didn't work for me. I must give it another go.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I confirm that it does have a wifi module, it is disabled, the chip it has is broadcom, it has 11AC, with which it could work in 2.4 and 5 Ghz
Why doesn't HYUNDAI / KIA take advantage of it to put AA / CarPlay Wireless? I suspect it is due to licensing
i dont know why too, other manufacturers can do both for example Audi, VW etc, i guess its down to the software developers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Software developers are the last people to be blamed for this. :LOL: They never do what they want, they do what they're told.

So unless it's some unknown hardware compatibility issue (which can be resolved only by changing the media unit, which can only happen on a new model or maybe a facelift), then it's a Manager or Accountant issue. :)

·
Registered
KIA e-Niro 2021
5 Posts
just love doing this workaround daily when putting the car in reverse........NOT!

please download and share with hyundai/kia support :)

as we all know this is just a temp fix. turn off the car and wait 30-60min and it will be back again. worked great up to the march update. then they messed something up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On the Ioniq EV, open the bonnet look for the battery on right hand side if you are facing the car, disconnect the (negative black) battery terminal with a 10mm spanner or socket, leave disconnected for 2 or 3 minutes then re-connect.
Did this do the trick for you on this new update, I'm at work and stuck in kph again. Just want to know if it's the same fix for when I get home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you can figure out the sequence that enables engineering mode you get to some pages which include information and diagnostics for the wifi chip. That confirms it is present but until they turn it on in a firmware update there's no way to use it.

501 - 520 of 628 Posts