Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email from Kia today, you can now book a test drive of the niro

All-New Kia Niro | 5 Door Small Car From £21,295 | Kia Motors UK

looks interesting, but more expensive and lower spec than the Ioniq when you compare the specs we have so far, also higher emmissions which will push up the BIK costs for work (fuel card), so looks to be off my list, but still worth a test drive to try the hybid power train

the Ioniq premium at £21,795 has more kit than the Niro 3 at £24,695

premium has 7" supervision cluster, niro 3 and 1st only 4.2" cluster
premium has keyless entry, niro 3 don't (only on niro 1st)
premium has upgraded sound system, as does the niro 3 and above
premium has wireless charging, as does the niro 3 and above
premium has android auto, and apple car play, niro 3 and above only have android auto
premium has bi-xenon headlights, niro 3 don't (only on niro 1st)

niro 3 has front and rear parking sensors, premium only has rear (front and rear only on premium SE)

whole Ioniq range has Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) and Cruise Control - Smart Adaptive Cruise Control, theses are only std on the niro 1st

whole Ioniq range has 79g/km emmisions, niro 1 & 2 have 88g/km 3 & 1st have 101 g/km (due to 18" wheels)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm hoping that in the US the Niro is more competitive with the Ioniq. I really like the Niro. It's ugly compared to the Ioniq, but more practical for my purpose, I think.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm hoping that in the US the Niro is more competitive with the Ioniq. I really like the Niro. It's ugly compared to the Ioniq, but more practical for my purpose, I think.
Of course it will, it is a CUV after all so naturally that will be the case. But for a lot of people just getting a sedan like the Ioniq is enough. During the odd time they might need a roof rack or bike rack. I bet it's going to be more for one person and not a whole family... maybe for someone that just started a family.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm looking at the extra ground clearance of the Niro and thinking of better mobility in the snow. I can put a kayak up on the roof with those roof racks. There's more room inside for all kinds of stuff. The Niro will be heavier and not get as many mpg, though. Can't make any decisions till we get all the numbers on both, but I like the Niro a lot.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
359 Posts
That should be easily found online through Hyundai's site, if not then the dealer should have this information for us. But there is the odd time that you have to email Hyundai (not the dealer) to see what they can get, not always will dealers be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, went past my local Kia dealer tonight so stopped to see if they had a Niro

yep only one around, outside and out of hours so could have a good look around the outside and in the windows without being pounced on

looking through the window, I quite like he inside, they had the rear seat raised for access to the battery , it is HUGE

but the outside is a different matter, I never have been a fan of the KIA corporate front, but the one thing I noticed was the bonnet didn't seem to have much of a slope on it, and the light clusters at the back looked horrible to me, reasonable size but appeared to have big lumps of black plastic as a 2 inch spacers between the cluster and car

side on it seemed not too bad, front on not a fan, couldn't see the bac fully as reversed up against a wall

I thought the Niro was also surprisingly small for a car valued at £23,000

to me I would struggle to justify paying the price for the Niro when I look at the size and looks of it, so this is one off my list

·
Registered
176 Posts
bluecar1 - Good report. I appreciate it as I am sure most of the raiders of this forum do. Kia was never on my "short list" however, it may provide a clue to the Ioniq. Fortunately I am not in the market for a new car until spring and by then there will be plenty of people reporting on their experiences and the magazines will have reported their comparisons.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
The Niro did cross my mind because it's nearer to my Kadjar ...but definitely uglier . Beside being dearer than the Ioniq ,I found that the fact you seemingly had to have 18" wheels on the higher level trims a bit of a deal breaker

·
Registered
11 Posts
Before I bought my Ioniq, I seriously considered the Niro.

The deciding factor was the price--about 2-3K over the Ioniq comparably equipped.

The better gas mileage on the Ioniq sealed the deal.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had also considered the Niro, because it is easier for me to get in & out of it. But Hyundai's battery warranty was the deciding factor for me.

·
Registered
843 Posts
A colleague in our office ordered a Niro around the same time as I ordered my Ioniq back in December.

He still hasn’t taken delivery… :eek:

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
here in the UK the warranty on the kia is 7 year 100,000 miles inc battery, where as the Hyundai warranty is 5 year unlimited mileage (taxi's is 100,000 miles) for the main car, 8 year 125,000 miles for the battery

so yep, Hyundai warranty is better

1 - 15 of 15 Posts