Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Kia Niro debuted at the Chicago Auto Show a couple of days ago. Sister car to the Ioniq and sharing the same powertrain and many other components, this is probably the most serious competitor to the Ioniq.

Kia Niro shares Hyundai Ioniq parts, could become an EV

Interestingly, the Niro dispenses with the 12-V pb-acid battery, deriving that voltage instead from the traction battery, while the Ioniq retains the 12-V battery (at least in Korea). I'm looking forward to more details.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i get a sense of some german design going on here and that is a good thing since people want the sort of design cues found on German cars but of course don't have the money for it.

These things should sell well!

·
Registered
87 Posts
A little boring, but it looks nice. I think the back is especially boring. They could have done a little something there.

More from the concept, which is still pretty tame, would have been nice.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Except for the wheels, the concept does look more interesting. Did they reveal the front facia of the Kia Niro?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think it get just about as fun as these can get. It help to look at what else is in the segment and when you do that, Kia design shoots up the ranks quite easily.

Seen the current Optima on the road and among everything else it stood out like crazy. Wouldn't be surprise to see them get design awards.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I go back and forth between the Niro and Ioniq. The Ioniq will probably get better gas mileage, but how much better? The Ioniq will probably be less expensive, but by how much? I look at the Ioniq and I'm like, "Yay Ioniq!", but then I look at the big cargo area of the Niro and those roof racks. I could put my kayak up there! It's great to have these choices.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm not really interested in the SUV style for my next car. I'll be happy with the Ioniq since it will likely be more efficient and the sedan style is okay with me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm not really interested in the SUV style for my next car. I'll be happy with the Ioniq since it will likely be more efficient and the sedan style is okay with me.
What are your space requirements like in a vehicle? Is it just you and some small cargo needs?

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Kia Niro is going to come as a hybrid and not full electric, at least not yet. Will it compete with the ioniq hybrid? Won't really know until the specs come out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't have big cargo requirements. Any time that I have extra stuff to bring, I'll be fine as long as the seats fold down. I would expect a slight bit more space than a petrol sedan too since the EV version will have flat batteries storing energy instead of a fuel tank that cuts into trunk space.

·
Registered
169 Posts
the Kia Niro won't be coming out in a full EV version yet, if ever, so you may have to look elsewhere for that flat battery pack.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Kia has the EV Soul. So because of that they might see the space is filled. Or maybe it's put off for another few years or so.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here's the Kia Niro Hybrid specs:

1.6-liter direct injection four-cylinder engine paired to a 43-horsepower transmission-mounted motor to make 146 horsepower total and 195 pound-feet of torque.
gets a targeted 50 mpg
But they didn't mention how far it can go on battery only so it's a bit harder to compare.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Typically I notice electric range being around 50% of the overall range at best so that might be a good point of reference for us here, and at that point its going to be some decent range to start off with.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It totally depends on how much battery power it has, and how big the gas tank is as well as how efficient it is. Very hard to tell much from the info we have here.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Looks like I was right about the all-electric range, which was easy to guess with enough understanding of these systems:
Given that the larger, heavier Kia Optima Plug-In Hybrid also launched today is close to the top of its class in all-electric range, at 27 miles, that leads to interesting speculation about the future plug-in version of the smaller Niro.

·
Registered
87 Posts
27 miles isn't that bad. Enough for any in town errands, a lot of peoples commutes. Its not going to be enough for everything though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The problem with cutting it close is that things that happen, idling during traffic jams, need to heat up the car in the winter. These things drains the battery so people will need to increasingly rely on the gas part of the hybrid. Would have been great if the range was higher but I guess that's why it's a hybrid, you make use of both sources of power instead of relying on one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We can probably look at the Kia Soul EV for an idea of what the Niro EV range could be if they decide to use that platform. the 2016 model has an estimated range of 93miles. Quite a bit lower than the Ioniq.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts