Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts

According to experts, prices of electric cars are predicted to fall, not rise. For now, those two cars go against that prediction. If the experts are right, future generations of electric cars may be much more affordable.
This would seem to make sense as battery prices fall and no gas engine complexity and expense. However, I find it difficult to believe automotive companies will lower car prices. I think it more likely that cars in various segments will remain roughly the same price and the auto companies will rather increase profit margins. And maybe that would cushion the blow they will feel from reduced maintenance costs as well. Consumers have come to expect a new car in a certain segment to cost a certain amount. It wont be difficult to maintain that way of thinking.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This would seem to make sense as battery prices fall and no gas engine complexity and expense. However, I find it difficult to believe automotive companies will lower car prices. I think it more likely that cars in various segments will remain roughly the same price and the auto companies will rather increase profit margins. And maybe that would cushion the blow they will feel from reduced maintenance costs as well. Consumers have come to expect a new car in a certain segment to cost a certain amount. It wont be difficult to maintain that way of thinking.
They're going to have to lower prices. Prices (along with charging infrastructure) are among the biggest obstacles to EV adoption. EV subsidies are helping somewhat, but they're inadequate to encourage full adoption, and some of them (like in my state, and in the UK) are MSRP-capped. Those subsidies also won't stay around forever. The manufacturers, thus, have every incentive to reduce cost (and manufacturing cost so they can make a profit) until prices reach a level that is accessible to the broader automobile market (Which is not to say they'll get all the way there. They are for-profit corporations after all).

It's worth noting that this year represents something of a development in the market in that direction, as for the first time we're seeing mass introduction of mainstream non-luxury models (I5, EV6, ID4, Mach-E, Ariya, Lightning, etc). Most of those are are compact crossovers (by US definition) which is a very popular segment. Virtually all of these are purpose built (whereas most EVs before now, aside from Teslas, were adapted from ICE platforms).

In short: Who knows what will happen, but interesting days are ahead :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just realized one thing which may force me to choose Ioniq5: charging port location.

In Kia EV6 the port is in a spot which is very inconvenient in winter time, gets blockd by snow and ice.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
452 Posts
In Kia EV6 the port is in a spot which is very inconvenient in winter time, gets blockd by snow and ice.
What about those door handles that lie flat by the door sides and pop out automatically? And the self-opening rear door? Both "features" seem to me to be very inconvenient during winter, easily blocked by snow and ice.

In my opinion completely unnecessary, just eye-candy that raises the price of the cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What about those door handles that lie flat by the door sides and pop out automatically? And the self-opening rear door? Both "features" seem to me to be very inconvenient during winter, easily blocked by snow and ice.

I my opinion completely unnecessary, just eye-candy that raises the price of the cars.
Good points, the door handles may also cause problems, self-opening rear door was not a big issue in my Scoda, but did not like it. Too slow and and the sound...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good points, the door handles may also cause problems, self-opening rear door was not a big issue in my Scoda, but did not like it. Too slow and and the sound...
I think both the EV6 and I5 have the same door handles. FWIW, it's a pretty good design for a popup door handle. If you can crack the ice you can manually pop the handle out and use the keyhole behind it as a manual backup. To manually open a tesla one has to dig around behind liner panels and under the hood and stuff. The ID.4 has relatively conventional door handles, and the Mach-E's door opening mechanisms will be essentially useless if the door freezes shut (no idea what it has as a manual backup)

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
19 Posts
What do you think, is there any particular reason why I shoud buy Ioniq5 instead of Kia EV6?

I love the looks of my Ioniq, and Kia resembles it more than Ioniq5.
Kia is 5 cm lower, maybe a bit lower consumption too? And easier to wash on my yard... Kias slightly shorter wheelbase makes it look more like a car, not a tin can...
The curved screen in Kia looks more integrated, In Ioniq5 the straight screen looks like detachable, dropped from above...
Open floor may be a safety issue, the possibility of something rolling over from the passengers side.

I personally love the Ioniq 5 looks, killer and love the flat screens and open floor vs the Kia. I like the style of the Kia except the bank end, of the two I feel the Ioniq 5 is more futureistic looking which is what I was hoping for. Now just for the price to fall in to the range I am willing to spend, deposit down so we will see please let it qualify for the prov and federal Canadian rebates!

·
Registered
108 Posts
The ID.4 handles are flush with the body and have no moving parts! Perfect for winter conditions. I wish the Ioniq 5 had handles like those.
Do they not move at all even like conventional handles? Re the I5's handles: Sure, they might potentially get iced up, but they're a far sight better than tesla's. If tesla handles ice up you basically have to disassemble random panels to get at the manual release. The I5 handles are their own manual release, so chip the ice enough to press on the handle and you can use the key to unlock the door (If there's super thick ice I guess it could suck though).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do they not move at all even like conventional handles?
Nope. You reach under the handle and touch the inside and the door releases. I guess it’s like the release on an SUV tailgate. There’s a cover that comes off if you need to insert a key.

I don’t like the phrase “chip the ice” when it has to do with the body of my car but the I5 certainly sounds better than what you described about Tesla handles. Even here in Minnesota I don’t expect they will be a problem. I love that they’re flush and the placement is logical. I think the Mach-E handle placement is weird.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nope. You reach under the handle and touch the inside and the door releases. I guess it’s like the release on an SUV tailgate. There’s a cover that comes off if you need to insert a key.

I don’t like the phrase “chip the ice” when it has to do with the body of my car but the I5 certainly sounds better than what you described about Tesla handles. Even here in Minnesota I don’t expect they will be a problem. I love that they’re flush and the placement is logical. I think the Mach-E handle placement is weird.
Agreed, "chipping the ice" is diconcerting (FWIW it once took me twenty minutes after an ice storm just to remove enough ice for me to get into my mazda3, and it is a conventional car with conventional handles), so from that perspective VW probably has an advantage (assuming ice isn't in the door gaps). But yeah, from what I've seen Tesla didn't really think through it's handles very well (the rear internal door handles aren't mechanically linked to the latches either, so they have weird manual release things hidden under the carpets)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts