Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,122 Posts
Ooo, I think that's much better looking than the Ioniq 5!

Reactions: andersmo

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm one of those drivers who doesn't care that much about 0-60, but in any case, is that ~3s number official, or is it just speculation/what the platform is theoretically capable of? If it's real, one wonders how the EV6 would achieve so much more power than the Ioniq 5 considering they have the same platform and, by their looks, probably closely related engineering. Maybe different motors? (Or maybe it's a software thing).

IMO the Ioniq 5 looks better (The EV6's front and sides are ok if not particularly distinctive, the rear is ugly and I kind of hate how that lightbar stretches around the sides into the wheel arches. Actually, the rear reminds me a bit of Tesla, who's exterior styling I'm not a fan of. Kind of a big flat area that feels kind of awkward), and I'm not generally a fan of the whole retro-futurism thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm one of those drivers who doesn't care that much about 0-60, but in any case, is that ~3s number official, or is it just speculation/what the platform is theoretically capable of? If it's real, one wonders how the EV6 would achieve so much more power than the Ioniq 5 considering they have the same platform and, by their looks, probably closely related engineering. Maybe different motors? (Or maybe it's a software thing).

IMO the Ioniq 5 looks better (The EV6's front and sides are ok if not particularly distinctive, the rear is ugly and I kind of hate how that lightbar stretches around the sides into the wheel arches. Actually, the rear reminds me a bit of Tesla, who's exterior styling I'm not a fan of. Kind of a big flat area that feels kind of awkward), and I'm not generally a fan of the whole retro-futurism thing.
Video of the 2021 Kia investor day (CV was the name of the concept that became EV6):

·
Registered
65 Posts
What do you think, is there any particular reason why I shoud buy Ioniq5 instead of Kia EV6?

I love the looks of my Ioniq, and Kia resembles it more than Ioniq5.
Kia is 5 cm lower, maybe a bit lower consumption too? And easier to wash on my yard... Kias slightly shorter wheelbase makes it look more like a car, not a tin can...
The curved screen in Kia looks more integrated, In Ioniq5 the straight screen looks like detachable, dropped from above...
Open floor may be a safety issue, the possibility of something rolling over from the passengers side.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
452 Posts
What do you think, is there any particular reason why I shoud buy Ioniq5 instead of Kia EV6?

I love the looks of my Ioniq, and Kia resembles it more than Ioniq5.
Unfortunately, the Kia EV6 is a lot more expensive than the Ioniq 5. Here in Sweden, the Ioniq 5 starts at SEK 470,000 while the Kia EV6 starts at SEK 570,000 ! That's a difference of SEK 100,000 - approximately USD 12,000 or EUR 10,000 !

I must say that I really prefer the looks of the Kia. I only wish I could afford one...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unfortunately, the Kia EV6 is a lot more expensive than the Ioniq 5. Here in Sweden, the Ioniq 5 starts at SEK 470,000 while the Kia EV6 starts at SEK 570,000 ! That's a difference of SEK 100,000 - approximately USD 12,000 or EUR 10,000 !

I must say that I really prefer the looks of the Kia. I only wish I could afford one...
Come to Finland, here they cost the same. Kia actually just a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Come to Finland, here they cost the same. Kia actually just a bit cheaper.
Well, if the prices are the same, I consider it a no-brainer. Go for the Kia! (y)

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
226 Posts
Hyundai has a 5 year warranty, while Kia is 7 years, at least here in UK. But you can get a Hyundai Extended Warranty, for a max of 10 years/100,000 miles, and this comes in Platinum, Gold, and Powertrain flavours, and is sure to cost a fair bit extra!

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq premium -19, 28kWh ~46k km
71 Posts
I like the Kia EV6 a lot more than the (imo) ugly Ioniq 5. Ioniq classic is better looking than both of them though, both inside and out.

I can't see the 56kWh RWD version on KIA's swedish datasheets, maybe thats why its listed as more expensive here. It should be the cheapest version, I'm guessing it will be slightly cheaper than the Ioniq 5 56kWh RWD.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just personal liking? Other reason?
The general sense, I think, is that some find the Ioniq 5 better looking (I do. The EV6's front end is, to me, boring and I don't like the wraparound rear lightbar, though I hate that the I5 doesn't get red paint) and some prefer the EV6. They're otherwise essentially the same vehicle in terms of specs and features (With the caveat that the long range EV6 will have longer range outside of North America. In North America, the long range batteries on both vehicles are the same size)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I haven't seen any of the two cars in real life, only pictures and videos. So I might still change my mind.

I found the "45" concept car to be especially repulsive. The production Ioniq 5 is not quite as ugly, but still carry a lot of design elements that I dislike: The diagonal lines across the doors in particular, but also the gap between its "front teeth", the U-shaped DRL-lights, and the many small squares which make up the rear lights.

The EV6 looks much softer, much more pleasing to my eye.

I'm of course anxious to see both cars in real life, and to test drive them. Unfortunately, chances are slim that I'll be able to afford any of them. So I guess that I'll have to stick with my current 2020 Ioniq EV for several years to come.

According to experts, prices of electric cars are predicted to fall, not rise. For now, those two cars go against that prediction. If the experts are right, future generations of electric cars may be much more affordable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm going more towards the IONIQ 5 for several reasons:
  • I need to replace my company car by november, and IONIQ 5 is to arrive before the EV6 (regardless of chip shortage, the order is probably going to stay the same with test drives available in Belgium starting early August)
  • The EV6 is not as roomy inside and looks to much "GT" even in the non-GT models - I dislike the sportiness of a car
  • I like the retro-look with the matrix LED lights (I do dislike the old Pony ;-))
  • I would favor the EV6 for its longer range (WLTP ~510km against ~480km for the IONIQ)
  • I like the solar roof and V2L - even if it won't produce that much power
  • The EV6 will have a smaller trunk - and with the rear seats down the IONIQ 5 has almost 200 liters ahead of the EV6
  • I dislike EV6's coupé-style back - again looks too sporty for me
  • I like the Gravity Gold matte finish - this kind of color not showing all the dirt and dust that's accumulated in my rural setting at home
  • The IONIQ 5 is unfortunately less consistent in the interior and WHITE background LCD screens, really? I dislike Apple's design language enough to turn that to BLACK instantly, but then I still have the white borders, seems strange and seems like EV6 did a better job there with a more consistent and curved BMW iX-like cluster.

But given all, I would still go for the IONIQ 5 :)

·
Registered
2017 KIA Sorento, 2020 KIA Proceed GT
12 Posts
In my market the Ioniq 5 is 4000€ cheaper than the EV6 (like for like)
I think my Proceed GT is quick and it takes 7s 0-100kmh. So no 3,5s GT 6EVs for me. I just need to go past trucks quickly on country roads. Yes I getting old.
Its not just another EV, its interesting and different. I like to drive what others don't.
The bigger battery of the EV6 I wont use. More weight to carry round and more Co2 to produce it.
Its a wolf in sheep's clothing. (300hp version)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like the way the Ioniq 5 looks over the Kia version. There doesn't appear to be any technical differences - they seem to have the same architecture and features.
For us US folk it's perhaps also a bit easier because the NA version has the same battery as the EV6. Range should be essentially identical

(Note for anyone interested in maximizing range: Pick 19" wheels if possible)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts