Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not had this feature before. Do you still need to press the unlock button on the key fob when you approach the car?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Yes, or press the button on the door handle.

I just leave keys in my bag so never actually have them out.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV SE 2017 (UK spec)
972 Posts
Correct. As long as the key fob is within about 1-2mtr of the car, even in somebody else's pocket/bag, pressing the button on either front door will unlock it. Also the boot will unlock if the unlock button on the boot. is pressed.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
nope, the car senses the key when you are a couple of feet from the door, my car unfolds its mirror when it senses the key, then press the little square black button on either of the two front doors, to lock it get out close the doors and press the little button the car locks and the mirrors fold in

you can also use the buttons on the keyfob, the other one is boot, if you are near the bootwith the key in your pocket / with you, you can open the boot it don't unlock the rest of the car and the boot relocks when you close it

hope that helps

·
Registered
Ioniq EV SE 2017 (UK spec)
972 Posts
Hi Bluecar1, I bow to your superior knowledge, when I had my test car I thought the mirrors unfolded when I was 1-2mtr away.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Hi Bluecar1, I bow to your superior knowledge, when I had my test car I thought the mirrors unfolded when I was 1-2mtr away.
depends on the angle you approach the car from but yep 1-2 mtr's I guess I am to impatient to get driving so it seems like only a few feet :)

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I learned something new about my American car and its chipped key after owning it for 16 years. I made some new keys from chipped, but unprogrammed blanks, and mistakenly put an unprogrammed key on my ring. It is snowing heavily and my car starts and turns off immediately - so I'm picturing needing a tow. Swearing, I finally figure out the substitution after several tries. Unlike the Ioniq proximity key, my car requires the key to be within an inch or so of the driver's side door when unlocking, or right next to the steering column when unlocking it.

I'm not sure I can trust the Ioniq to lock up after leaving the car. It also will prohibit me from leaving a fob inside the car as a spare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did any of you experienced issues with the passenger trying to unlock the car via the handle button, while you are near the driver door with the key in your pocket ?

My Ioniq seems to only allow the passenger to unlock his door, if I'm near him with the key.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Did any of you experienced issues with the passenger trying to unlock the car via the handle button, while you are near the driver door with the key in your pocket ?

My Ioniq seems to only allow the passenger to unlock his door, if I'm near him with the key.
Yes exactly that...the key needs to be near the door you are trying to unlock.....makes sense really..you could be standing by your door talking to someone having locked the car and if someone came upto the passenger side and tried to unlock the door and snatch your bag off the passenger seat they would not be able to....not that I would ever approve of leaving bags on passenger seats!

·
Registered
13 Posts
All correct but...if you, during the night hour, without light, press the button on the remote control, the car switch on the front-rear light. It's safe when there is few public light.
Fabrizio

·
Registered
2 Posts
Being my first car with keyless entry, I wasn't sure if it's a security feature ( as you mentioned ) or just a flaw in my car. Your points make a lot of sense!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
373 Posts
nope, the car senses the key when you are a couple of feet from the door, my car unfolds its mirror when it senses the key, then press the little square black button on either of the two front doors, to lock it get out close the doors and press the little button the car locks and the mirrors fold in

you can also use the buttons on the keyfob, the other one is boot, if you are near the bootwith the key in your pocket / with you, you can open the boot it don't unlock the rest of the car and the boot relocks when you close it

hope that helps
So the car won't auto lock if you get out and walk off with the key in your pocket?

·
Registered
725 Posts
So the car won't auto lock if you get out and walk off with the key in your pocket?
No I am sure it doesnt. If you just open the boot it doesnt unlock the doors and when you shut the boot it locks again but I dont think you can just get out and walk away and it locks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
No I am sure it doesnt. If you just open the boot it doesnt unlock the doors and when you shut the boot it locks again but I dont think you can just get out and walk away and it locks.
Ok , good to know. Wouldn't be hard for them to implement though would it?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ok , good to know. Wouldn't be hard for them to implement though would it?

Prob not but I am sure when I walked away and locked it accidentally whilst running back into house for something the rest of the family couldn't get out. So I guess on one side it's more secure but then making auto lock could be problematic!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
When the car is started and you get out with the key in your pocket it will start beeping at you.
And again if the car is started but in P and you try to open the booth it will not open, you have to stop the car to open the booth.
And yes it will only open the door that the key is near .

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you need to use the metal key (because your fob battery is low/dead) how does it work?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts