Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one thing I have always had concerns about this, as I have always viewed it as less secure than a physical key

I must admit I am a bit happier with it now I use it, but still have concerns about it

to unlock the doors you have to have the key within about 3 feet of the door, you can see when you are in range are the door mirrors unfold

with the door mirrors it is very easy to check if the car is locked from a distance, if the are folded its locked, if they are out it is unlocked

to be able to start the car the key has to be in the car or VERY close (2-3 feet max) if the car is running and you take the key out the car to go to the boot etc it squeals loudly so you can hear it clearly outside the car so its not easy to ignore

so the range of the key is very limited which was one of my concerns is not an issue for me

·
Super Moderator
1,883 Posts
That's the same way my Kadjar works . Not really worried about the security . After all , if someone wants to break into your car they'll find a way . Thieves are getting very clued up these days ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you start the car and take the key out, leave it inside or something and drive away with the car, does it automatically shut off or will it keep going until someone takes it off?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for giving the measurements, I was worried about this feature as I live in a terraced house and my car is parked withing 3ft of my front door, I was worried the signal may travel through the wall, across the gap and unlock the car if I left them near the wall. Clearly not! :D

(I've never had keyless entry/start)

·
Super Moderator
1,883 Posts
My wing mirrors start to unfold when I'm about 2 feet from the car , so I guess that's the range for keyless entry . I had keyless entry on my last car without any problem

·
Registered
158 Posts
Never keep your (key-less entry) keys near the front door or near the outer wall of your home!

I have seen a TV-show (NL) where someone showed how easy they could hack the system and open the car (BMW in this case). One guy with a laptop is standing near the key (at the front door of your home, or near you in the shopping mall) and another guy with a laptop is standing near your car. The laptop of the first guy receives the key signal and sends it through to the other laptop near the car. Now the car can be opened and started with ease.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Never keep your (key-less entry) keys near the front door or near the outer wall of your home!

I have seen a TV-show (NL) where someone showed how easy they could hack the system and open the car (BMW in this case). One guy with a laptop is standing near the key (at the front door of your home, or near you in the shopping mall) and another guy with a laptop is standing near your car. The laptop of the first guy receives the key signal and sends it through to the other laptop near the car. Now the car can be opened and started with ease.
Good to know! I've always argued with the other half our key bowl should be in the middle or back of the house to stop an easy smash and grab from the front room, this is another reason.

·
Registered
69 Posts
one thing I have always had concerns about this, as I have always viewed it as less secure than a physical key
I must admit I am a bit happier with it now I use it, but still have concerns about it
to unlock the doors you have to have the key within about 3 feet of the door, you can see when you are in range are the door mirrors unfold
with the door mirrors it is very easy to check if the car is locked from a distance, if the are folded its locked, if they are out it is unlocked
to be able to start the car the key has to be in the car or VERY close (2-3 feet max) if the car is running and you take the key out the car to go to the boot etc it squeals loudly so you can hear it clearly outside the car so its not easy to ignore
so the range of the key is very limited which was one of my concerns is not an issue for me
My wife has a Hyundai Santa Fe and I can confirm the same behaviour on that car, which is about 3 years older than the Ioniq.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here is how it works: the Ioniq is constantly sending out challenges and waiting for the correct response from the key. If there is no key nearby, then there is no response and the car stays locked.

If the key is in range, the following happens. The car sends out a challenge, let's say "3#T". The key receives the challenge, does some mathematics, and responds with ")[email protected]". The car receives the response and concludes that this is the correct answer. Car unlocks.

The criminals just use a range extender. Likewise the ones that are used to extend your Wifi range at home. Also known as wifi repeaters.

One criminal is at your car and the other is at your front door. The guy at your doorstep has a powerful transceiver that can penetrate the signal 8m or 30ft into your house. Most likely enough to reach your key.
Now the signal is relayed back and forth to the guy at your car. And voilà, the criminal can open and start the car. The car will not shut down when out of key range. The criminals can drive for miles. Now that they have physical access to the cars computer, they can program a new blank key.:mad:

This "relay attack" can bridge a separation up to 300m or 1000ft.
My car is sitting in a parking lot out of sight and 30m away from my house. So we decided to put the key in a tin biscuit box and close the lid when we get home.

Make sure that the lid is electraly bonded to the box. This makes it a Faraday cage and radio signals can't penetrate or escape from this cage. Problem solved!
Also the RFID pouches will do the job.

Take your box with key to the car and check it!

Don't forget to close the lid!

·
Registered
515 Posts
A sad day, I walked past the car and it does not wag its ears at Kangaroos. I shall miss that although it always did get over excited when I wash it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
A sad day, I walked past the car and it does not wag its ears at Kangaroos. I shall miss that although it always did get over excited when I wash it.
On top of the drivers armrest there is a tumble knob. Put it in the middle position and your Ioniq will wag its ears again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car is sitting in a parking lot out of sight and 30m away from my house. So we decided to put the key in a tin biscuit box and close the lid when we get home.

Make sure that the lid is electraly bonded to the box. This makes it a Faraday cage and radio signals can't penetrate or escape from this cage. Problem solved!
Also the RFID pouches will do the job.
Actually at least with the US version of the Ioniq all you need to do is go through the options menu which also includes tire air pressure and the like, select the doors option, and turn off auto unlock. This is what I personally ended up doing. (Fortunately unlike some vehicles out there this is not some tricky thing to do that requires an expensive trip to the dealer.)

At that point a potential thief might still be able to technically intercept the car key "auto" communication, but it would not do them one bit of good because the doors stay locked (and the security system stays on) until you actually unlock the vehicle by actually pressing the button on your key fob. (Which is a distinctly different signal.) As long as you do not personally care much about the convenience factor of not having to hit the key fob to unlock the car, this is easier than worrying about whether you have an effective enough faraday cage with some container or pouch.

(This is still a useful tip for other car models that can not have auto lock turned off so easily.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
@Mordoch, i tried your solution on my Ioniq Hybrid, however it does not work on the Dutch version (not sure if that is an EU version)

I sett the auto unlock option to "off". Lock the car, walk away. Now when i approach the car it unfolds the mirrors and turn on the light in the door handle. When i now press the button in the door handle it unlocks and i can open the door.

Looks like there is a difference between the US and the EU version of the Ioniq.

Video of a Kia gone in 60 seconds in Holland Kia relay attack

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't seem to be able to edit my old post to fix this, but it turns out I was mistaken and the feature did not do what I thought and still allows key proximity unlock, so you do need to consider taking the precautions previously mentioned. (I was not hitting the button right when I tested it, and the lights designating my vehicle proximity acted unusually which made me think the action had fixed the issue.) I am sorry about misleading anyone on this point.

It would certainly be nice if Hyundai would provide a software update which did add this option to the menu in question.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just a question, is there a way to temporary disable the signal emission of the keyless? Pressing a combination of keys or other tricks ?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts