Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On several occasions since I've owned the car, I've accidentally hit the release button for the key causing the bulk of the fob to fall off my keychain onto the floor or ground. I'm afraid that it's only a matter of time before i lose the thing and am stranded somewhere.

I've searched amazon for a cover of sorts that would cover that little button or at least make it so that pressing it wouldn't separate the two pieces. Has anyone experienced this or found a suitable cover? The one I found that I know would work seems a bit bulky and doesn't allow access to the buttons without opening it which isn't a big deal since it's very rare that I use them.

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,814 Posts
I always keep the fob separate from most of my other keys and in a pocket, so I have not experienced pressing the key release button. I have however accidentally hit the panic button while it's been in my pocket. Have have thought of getting a similar cover to the one you describe, but I have not done so yet.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have however accidentally hit the panic button while it's been in my pocket.
What is the "panic button"? I have googled it it found some keyfobs with a red "panic" or "find my car" button.
Mine has three large buttons, open, close and trunk (hold), plus the minor release button for the mechanical key. No "panic". But, of course, if I need to find my car in a large parking, I open it, and it will blink and turn on welcome lights.

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
Not just me then :) .I wasn't aware of a panic button . There's so few Ioniqs around me that it's a piece of cake finding it in a car park

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Not just me then :) .I wasn't aware of a panic button . There's so few Ioniqs around me that it's a piece of cake finding it in a car park
Nor me, the Marina blue seems to be a unusual colour which makes it easy to find in car park, just need to remember which car park :nerd:
I keep my fob on a ribbon around my neck and use the keyless option, never press the buttons on fob

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
Nor me, the Marina blue seems to be a unusual colour which makes it easy to find in car park, just need to remember which car park :nerd:
I keep my fob on a ribbon around my neck and use the keyless option, never press the buttons on fob
Wait until you get to my age . I can't remember what country I left it in most days . ;)
And much the same as you with the FOB , hardly eve use it . One thing I've used to carry the chunky type FOB , is carry it in a small belt loop type phone holder . Worked brilliantly with my last car which , for some obscure reason , didn't have a loop on it to attach it to anything

·
Registered
232 Posts
What is the "panic button"? I have googled it it found some keyfobs with a red "panic" or "find my car" button.
Mine has three large buttons, open, close and trunk (hold), plus the minor release button for the mechanical key. No "panic". But, of course, if I need to find my car in a large parking, I open it, and it will blink and turn on welcome lights.
It may just be a US or North American thing.

·
Super Moderator
7,943 Posts
oh dear, you weren't a beastie boys fan in the 80s/90s with a VW badge on a chain were you

no medallion man either, a key fob on a ribbon just don't work as well

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Must be North America's then ....not on mine
I guess so then. Sorry, I just took it for granted. Keyfobs over here have had panic buttons since they first came out. I've had one on my last 4 cars.

(More of a nuisance than anything else for me. But perhaps helpful for some. I think the idea is so someone can make a noise and attract attention if they get attacked while getting into their car, or something. Only thing though, they go off so frequently accidentally, most people tend not to even notice when a car alarm does go off.)

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have one of these covers, not sure if it would help?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0711T5DXZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe you can get one with a fold over flap, to cover the buttons?
I am ordering something similar to that. Since I am in the twitchy North American market, I have a panic button so I needed one with four.
I am ordering this one http://a.co/gTvpsap
It recesses the release button so hopefully I won't keep accidentally hitting it.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I was actually thinking about something similar to that. But I haven't decided for sure yet. I always need to keep the key in a pocket, as I don't always have a bag with me to put that in. I'm a little hesitant, as I'm not sure how well that case would fit into a pocket.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Cha - did that key fob cover work?
Perfectly, I've been using it for almost 2 years now, forgot to come back here and update.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts