1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 July '17
1,793 Posts
I perused all four. I'm trying hard to find how they could give the "Best Buy Award" to the Honda Clarity. It's about $8K more than the Ioniq, has shorter combined range, and much poorer fuel economy. The only thing it has going for it is a longer EV only range and maybe a few more bells & whistles, but this does not make it a better value for your money by any means. Should not that be a factor of a "Best Buy Award". After all the Ioniq comes with a substantial amount of kit as it is, which they even acknowledged. By their own reviews, the Clarity does not add up to a "Best Buy" over the Ioniq. Did Honda pay them?

As far as other comparisons go, the Ioniq PHEV apparently has slightly worse fuel economy (2 mpg difference) and overall range (10 mile difference) than the Prius Prime, but better EV range (4 mile difference), all on paper of course. The Prime is also more up front and only seats 4 people instead of the 5 the Ioniq seats. All the kit they talk about for the Prime seems to be on a higher trim, that costs $33.1K, rather than the the base $27.9K model. For the Ioniq they talked a lot about the kit that comes on the base $25.8K model. The Chevy Volt was more comparable to the Clarity than the Ioniq, in terms of price and range. They only mentioned Apple CarPlay being available on the Ioniq and the Volt.

Based on their own reviews, the Ioniq comes out on top for me. And had the PHEV been available in Canada last summer, I likely would have gone for that. But I'm still very happy with my Ioniq HEV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts